Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

I saw something new (to me) this morning and thought maybe others had not seen it yet so figured it was worth pointing out.

This information is very nice/useful. Quick reference to what activity to check out today.

@Simkie you have brought this back option up before. I have never seen it in all my scrolling. I wonder if it is device/browser specific?

I would say the time stamp works less than intermittently on a PC. Laugh. It rarely works for me.
I do agree with the above that the time stamp does add something to reading the thread.

Still zippy today.

1 Like

@Simkie I found summary in my profile but I do not see a list of my old subscribed threads. I see threads that I posted on before, but not my old subscribed threads.

Oh, yeah, unfortunately that’s not your subscribed topics. That’s awesome that there’s some cross over there for you, though!

Top replies is auto generated and it’s a list of your most liked posts.

Is there some symbol or such that shows posts that one has posted on before when looking at the whole list of threads?

I am not seeing anything, that is why I ask.

Using search - is there a way to search and exclude categories (sections of the forum)?
I see where I can pick categories, but I do not see where I can exclude categories.

For example, I was trying to find the post with the gator type face covering with the ear loops to share in another post but everything I tried in search gave me more hate filled CE threads than anything else (and I know I am weird but even reading all the anger and hate in titles makes me stressed) (and yes, I have CE blocked so search does not exclude what you have blocked).

Adding this info here about how the Back button works, since there were questions here too:

There is the My Posts option from the home screen, which will list new activity on threads in which you’ve posted.

I couldn’t quote your entire reply on my iPad to respond to you. I have this problem only on this forum and am able to quote in other areas easily.

My iPad version is 9.3.5(13G36)

I know…I know…it’s a dinosaur!

I hope your site will support it…otherwise I will have to lodge a “Technological Discimination Suit”! :rofl:

@canadiantrotter After you click reply, try clicking the speech bubble icon on the far left in the message composition screen.

In addition to changing the slider appearance, the notifications now how bolded usernames to improve readability.

I think that was a suggestion from @halt – thanks!

We’ve also fixed the max character limit for usernames, so @Impractical_Horsewoman is now displaying correctly! Any that were truncated will be fixed when that user logs back in.

They’ve also fixed the Logout behavior on the site, which was being reported as an issue by some users.

They’re still working on resolving some of the log-in conflicts, and estimated they’d have a follow-up report/resolution to that by Monday.

5 Likes

Thank you Mod, and the team working to make us COTH curmudgeons happy. :encouragement:

I see the slider is also bigger. Yay! It’s much more visible now. If they are willing to continue playing around with it, having arrows in the scroll box would probably make new users realize the function quicker (like a standard scroll bar). Most scrolls have a darker slider, with a brighter tract. The colors are inverted right now which might make users not realize it is a scroll.

You are probably tired of hearing from me (vocal minority, I know). One thing I did catch that might be worth the devs looking into is that I can’t just “scroll” up to the top of the page in-browser. The forum’s page scroll overrides my browser scroll. It’s not necessarily a glitch, it’s the forum loading the replies when I scroll up - but it is just another shortcoming of that functionality that might be worth reconsidering down the road. Especially when you have a topic that has several hundred replies (thinking of the hot topics like, ML and Plantation…) You can just use the forum’s scroll, but many readers/users are not going to be intimately familiar with this function.

1 Like

I just noticed that in this forum, at least for me, all the suggested topics at the bottom of the page are also in the technical forum. Whereas in the H/J forum, the suggested topics are in several different forums.

Does the new set up figure out who is more likely to need additional technical help? Lol.

My browser scroll actually does also work to scroll through posts in the forum. I can use the scroll at the right side of my browser, I can use the scroll wheel on my mouse (regardless of where on the page I am, or I can use the navigation timeline scroll built into the forum. That’s not how it works for you? Or am I misunderstanding what you’re pointing out?

Like this? WooHoo!, it worked!

You’re a doll!

1 Like

Another viewing idea -

When I look at the list of threads in a category, there is a lot of type and no real distinction.

Could it alternate white-lightgrey-white-lightgrey like you would in a table of data?

Looking and working much better all, thanks for your hard work!

If you grab your browser scroll, and pull it to the top of the browser page, does it stay there or go back down to where the in-forum scroll was aligned?

For me, if I try to scroll up with the browser by pulling it to the top of the page, it goes back down to where the in-forum scroll was set.

It’s not technically a glitch. It’s the forum scroll overriding the browser functionality.

how does one highlight = quote on an iPhone please ?

I think what halt is saying is that posts keep loading as you scroll up. On a long thread, it takes a long time to reach the top if you’re scrolling up with the browser scroll.

Kinda intrinsic to the platform though :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

never mind • figured it out

Long press and select with your finger :slightly_smiling_face: