Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

I just got kicked out — again!

Then it didn’t want to accept my password for several tries.
Then it offered a menu with my password and let me back in???

Annoying.

Thank you SO much, @leesa1. Your simplified-looking version is marvelously better. You’ve earned a Golden Snaffle award.

I’ll look for the @Moderator_1’s info regarding how to do it on Simkie’s FAQ.

Brilliant!

I kept getting kicked out anytime I would click on anything (to reply, to go to a new thread, etc).
I logged out of everything (main page & the forum). Then logged back in.
Haven’t gotten kicked out once since doing that. :crossed_fingers:
It might work do you as well :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Tried that, didn’t work, just got kicked out again a minute ago.
Happened after clicking on a link to a feeder on a post.
That may have something to do with it?

Interesting little trick that, not sure now it is because they are working on the web site.

Leesa has provided the step by step on how to implement that. Feel free to add the custom CSS to Firefox!

1 Like

What kind of interest would there be for implementing something like this simplified view for everyone? Would anyone miss having the “frequent” middle posters listed. I was thinking myself that the OP and most recent posters were probably the info most people would be interested in.

I’m not sure they could implement it as an option or if it would be an all or nothing sort of change, but I can certainly ask!

5 Likes

I quite like the additional info on the middle avatar circles and find it adds value. If a “lite” view is implemented, could it be offered as a theme choice from the user settings?

1 Like

I am fine with the avatars that show now.

I will also be fine if it gets edited and they do not show.

I can see a positive to both options.

2 Likes

Second that ^

1 Like

An option would be ideal

I too love the avatar circles

I’m also ok if it’s all or nothing and the simplified version wins

2 Likes

One thing I miss is the date started showing up anywhere when looking at a list of threads.
Is this a new thread about an old topic, is this that same old thread about that topic, is this a thread started years ago that someone bumped by accident? None of that is obvious looking at the thread list.

Disclaimer - I will learn to live with out a started it if necessary, just mentioning it because I keep looking for it and then have to remind myself it is not here.

3 Likes

That keeps coming up, the circle avatars don’t help much, since many are just letters, not really indicating who that may be anyway.

The old web site had who started a thread and when right with the title, which really helped figure if it was one to check out or just scroll by.

I think the Moderator said they were looking into that for now or later tweaking, if necessary?

1 Like

Hovering tells you:
the left-most avatar is who started the thread
the right-most avatar is the last poster
If there are more than 2, the middle ones are the 1-3 most frequent posters

That said, actual names don’t require action to see that, but they would take up more space , unless it’s determined ALL we see is the OP

True that, but I thought we were considering reading as presented, a quick overall glance, not adding other from us, like hovering or clicking to get more information.

I’m good either way having the screen space for as large a window as I’d like.

What I often care about is the OP of a new topic… maybe sometimes the last poster in an on-going thread. But, the way my brain works (be kind now :rofl: :blush: ), I often don’t even notice the avatars or ads on either side. This is coming from someone who can sit on the couch with the TV while reading a book and completely miss what’s going on in the TV show…

I thought everyone did this!

3 Likes

After we get log-in issues completely resolved, I will ask about offering a simplified view as an alternate theme choice.

We had an alarming issue with a few users reporting being logged in as the wrong user. That’s clearly been a priority to resolve! I have an update I wanted to share for those who are interested in following along. Nobody “needs” to understand this, but I want to keep everyone informed as much as possible when we experience a problem like that:

Discourse uses a process handling service called “Passenger”. It creates a process for every user request. These processes queue and handle every user activity on the site.

The issue was that Passenger service mixed up processes at times and as a result sessions were mixed up. We’ve updated its configurations to prevent this.

We’ve researched on this and found that this is somewhat a known issue in Dev community for Rails (The platform Discourse is built on). Devs proposed different solutions for this and we’ve used one of those solutions.

So, hopefully, the solution implemented has resolved that problem, but needless to say, let us know if there are any further issues! This log-in problem was a separate one from the new versions of existing accounts being created when there was a conflict with emails in our different databases. I think they’re still working on that issue, but the other one took precedence.

Please know that we take these concerns seriously. Please be sure to continue to tag me if you see someone mentioning issues elsewhere on the site that haven’t been addressed.

We very much appreciate everyone’s help in getting this new platform up and running and catered to your needs and preferences as much as is feasible.

8 Likes

Not sure if anyone has already posted about this…

When I return to the browser tab after being away for a short time there’s the message box at the top that asks me if I want to see the X new or updated topics. When you click on it the list reloads and briefly highlights the new/updated topics in green. Unfortunately that green highlight fades after just a second or two which makes it very hard to scroll to the first updated topic before it blends in with all the others. I wish the highlighting remained in place longer.

Note, this is different from the “last visit” line that appears when you haven’t been on the page in a while.

Not saying that this is the same function, because it does require an additional click or “hover,” but the OP shows when you hover over the first avatar on the list. If you click on the number of replies on the thread, it’ll show the date it was started and the date or time of the most recent post (and both of those are clickable to take you to the first or last post).

Again, not the same…you can’t take it all in with one glance, but it’s accessible.

2 Likes

Good reminders.
Thank you.