Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

Random question. Previously there was a 10-20 minute grace period where you could edit a post without any indication that it had been edited. Is that gone now? Does the orange edit pencil icon show up on the post immediately?

1 Like

I LOVE your avatar @Moderator_1 :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s totally the intended functionality of the platform.

Itā€™s not that it ā€œtakes a long time to reach the topā€, itā€™s that the in-forum scroll will override the browser scroll and you canā€™t just easily scroll to the top in browser.

Itā€™s not ideal for long threads. If I try to just pull my browser to the top it always goes back to where the in-platform scroll was. Itā€™s not a glitch so much as a conflict between the two scroll bars.

Odd, Iā€™m definitely not seeing that behavior, either.

If I use the browser scroll, it doesnā€™t really work great because the board keeps loading posts, as Iā€™m trying to scroll up.

But thatā€™s really it. Itā€™s not like the board moves the page DOWN as Iā€™m trying to scroll UP which it sounds like youā€™re describing?

What browser/platform are you on? :thinking:

I think Iā€™m understanding what youā€™re seeing. It took me a little time to get used to it, but a solution is that you can just one-click to the top of the thread by clicking the thread title at the top of the screen or the first post date at the top of the green timeline. We may have to retrain our COTH autopilot modes a bit in terms of navigation.

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s a conflict between a browser and a website - it happens on long pages on a regular internet site as well. The browser scroll bar is only to the top of what it has loaded as a ā€œpageā€

Getting to the top of the thread is much easier by fast-scrolling the slider bar to the top, or clicking the form header at the top of the screen

1 Like

Thanks! I figured it was about time I used one.

I considered this one too, but it seemed a bit aggressive. :grin:

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh my! The dragon IS rockin!! But the shield looks like itā€™ll play better in the little ā€œmoderator is typing nowā€ peek :grin::grin:

2 Likes

@Moderator_1, the shield is great but the dragon is pretty darn amazing.
Both are better than the plain M.

2 Likes

Maybe you could swap them out as needed, depending on the forum and the day.

6 Likes

Entirely possible. Iā€™ll keep my pocket dragon ready to deploy when situations deteriorate.

The current settings allow for a 50 minute editing grace period where the system will not save a new version and show the orange edit pencil. However, that can be overridden based on how many characters are changed. Right now, a newer user to the site (Level 0 or 1) can change up to 100 characters within that time limit without a version being saved. Level 2 or higher can change up to 400 characters.

We can adjust those settings.

4 Likes

:joy_cat: that never happens hereā€¦

3 Likes

Pocket dragon might be the best thing I have read today!

5 Likes

Is there a way to get rid of the ā€œsearch forum categoriesā€ function when trying to jump between forum disciplines? I know what the categories are, I donā€™t need my keyboard to pop up to type in a word to search when jumping from Eventing to Racing. I find it very annoying when I click the drop down tab, just get ready to click a forum title, and then the keyboard appears and my ā€œclickā€ is misplaced.

Glad to see the response and changes, and happy to have my original username back, thanks!!

Interesting, thanks.

Iā€™ve decided Iā€™m not even going to worry about the levels. Cae sera, sera. Lol.

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but I am sick of scrolling and reading to see.

How do we post photos?! I tried clicking on the Image button in the tool bar, but it doesnā€™t allow me to go find a photo on my computer - it just brings up a weird HTML code thing. I see others embedding photos in their posts, but I donā€™t seem to have a way to do it.

You can just copy and paste.

I donā€™t know how to give you a link directly to the instructions in the FAQ thread, but here is a link to the thread.

Here is a screen shot of the instructions there.

1 Like

Can you detail exactly what youā€™re clicking to make this happen? Havenā€™t seen that one.

If that menu is annoying, have you tried using the Category list available when you click the three gray lines by your profile picture at the top right? Thatā€™s another way to jump to a different category without needing a drop-down menu. Those categories will also appear in order of which ones you personally tend to use the mostā€¦so your favorite forums will probably be near the top of the list.

1 Like