Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

What is the difference between the ‘Unread’ count and the count in the little, itty, bitty green circle close to my avatar?

Still trying to get a feel between Unread and New but things are getting better.

Performance :clap:

User notifications vs general notifications :slight_smile:

Unread shows stuff you’re tracking.

User notifications are stuff you’re watching, mentions, and replies to your posts. Oh, and quotes.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

I was going to quote another post here … but it was way back in the thread, and the slider navigation is too erratic to find it. In case the post was already answered and no quote/post from me was needed, I thought I’d just keep going in the thread, but if no answer was found, would go back & quote it. Based on post number. But …

No way to go to a particular post number (that I know of). Can’t navigate the slider with enough precision to find a particular point in the thread. It snaps back >100 posts with a bare touch, then forward on a random big jump, if sliding or clicking the line … it doesn’t have enough precision to be useful.

How does one go to a particular post number if one hasn’t saved the url?

Switching over to the browser scroll bar is far more precise. But, it is a very long, slow navigation to go back very far.

I am finding that navigation forward and backward in a thread using the forum slider is random and imprecise to the point of being non-functional. It does not slide smoothly the way the browser scroll does, it scoots erratically.

Hard to go back and see if something was answered, or double check previous information.

And, the earlier quote in this thread about the ‘back’ button (that I can’t navigate well enough to locate) … That said that ‘back’ doesn’t operate if one has reached the end of the thread. What kind of crazy logic is that? I still want to go back and see the prior post.

While reading another long thread, I did finally see the back button. I have no idea how it selected the point to go back to, it was not the last post that I read. If I’m scrolling and reading without stopping the scroll, how can ‘back’ pinpoint a return point? The ‘back’ button was no help in the infrequent times it did appear.

What would be enormously helpful is a way to enter a post number and go to it. Previously the page navigation helped navigate to individual posts. Using a post number would be much easier that saving a url, and more precise than the jumpy slider.

Thanks for all the work, Simkie & Mod1! And everyone working behind you. :slight_smile:

I would assume (could be wrong) that CanadianTrotter is in my situation, with an old iPad (mine is an original mini, maxed out at 9.x) that works mostly fine except for the whole horrendously-out-of-date and unsupported part. It plays my podcasts and lets me check my mail and messages so I hate to spend several hundred dollars and create more electronic waste. One of these days I may manage to kill it!

1 Like

There seems to be nothing but my own “unknown” PC listed, but if I did find something strange, it would be too late wouldn’t it. They would have already accessed my email, which I do not want available to anyone without my permission.

The easiest way I know to do this is to drop a post number in the url.

Like, for example, the url in the browser bar right now is this:

https://forum.chronofhorse.com/t/new-forum-fun-questions-and-glitch-reports/751072/429

That 429 at the end is the post number. Replace that with anything between 1 & 429 (or whatever the last post number is) and it’ll take you to that post number.

On mobile, if you click the green box that leads to the thread slider, you get a “jump to” option. You can enter a post number there, and it’ll take you to the post number. I’m not in front of a computer right now, but will check when I am to see if there’s something analogous on the desktop view.

2 Likes

I also find the lack of post numbers to be extremely unwieldy.

Plus if I want to point out a post to someone else, I’m not going to email them the whole thread with 200+ posts and tell them to look for the post in the middle. Until now I could email them one page and tell them to check out post 157.

1 Like

Yes, at some point you do have to trust that this weird access issue isn’t going to happen to you.

If you absolutely don’t want any risk of any accidental email exposure, I think you can change the email address associated with your account if you go to the main Chronicle of the Horse website.

Simkie that is a great idea. Easy to do. Thanks!

Posts have numbers. There is no lack of post numbers.

To link to a post you can:

Copy the url in the browser bar when the post is at the top of the screen

Or

Click the link icon at the bottom of the post

Or

Click the post time stamp (works intermittently on desktop, consistently on mobile) and copy the link to the post

2 Likes

Just a thought …

Having some familiarity with the vBulletin saga, and having for several years recognized COTH’s struggles with the old vB-based forum (from this side of the screen), I am very glad that COTH has finally cut ties with ye olde vB-based forum. (Understand that it was technically imperative.) As far as forum software goes, I’m not the only person who thinks that vB has been floating away on its own island for years, now. Glad COTH did not try to return to the vB borg, but instead moved ahead in another direction. (COTH is not the only forum in that boat.)

I think this new forum design will work well when users adapt to it. It is definitely a huge leap ahead from the traditional forum layout.

4 Likes

I only have one email address.

If possible compromise is very concerning to you, it’s very easy to sign up for new Gmail account.

IMO, it’s exceedingly unlikely that anyone else will access your account. But if you’d like to be absolutely sure, sign up for a fresh gmail and use that for your account here.

Keep telling us that, we need to hear it again.

It is HARD to get it and then get used to all the new little tricks, is it.

1 Like

Thanks @Simkie. I appreciate all of your hard work. You must be exhausted. :flushed:

2 Likes

You’re very welcome! I hope you’re not too terribly worried about this weird issue, or at least feel comfortable in ways you can mitigate. :blush::blush:

(Non urgent question, in case it is past anyone’s bedtime … )

Is there a way to change the order logic of the Summary page? The toilet paper thread from last spring is going to be at the top of the list forever, I’m afraid … :rofl:

And the 2017 Badminton and “Rolex” (KY 3D) threads. Must have been a heckuva a year on COTH for the most popular 5*'s. :grin:

Or in other words, those two lists aren’t really useful. I don’t need to see threads that haven’t had a reply in 3 years at the top, maybe to stay there for the next several months or longer.

The active threads aren’t really showing up in those lists - and if it is based on activity/likes, they wouldn’t just because they haven’t yet had time to pass the old threads (if they ever do).

Can you link to/give us as screen shot of what summary page you’re seeing? Thinking through the different views, I’m not really sure what that might be :thinking:

Probably everyone has their own. With their own personalized list, whatever the logic is. Or - ?

Click upper right header personal icon.
Click down arrow to bring up notifications page.
Click left tab selection Summary.

I’m seeing …

… and more of the same sort of thing, scrolling down the page. [This copy-paste image thing is really cool! :smiley: ]