Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

I’m sorry, that’s behavior I’ve not seen. If you get the chance, and the board is agreeable, can you post a screen shot? You should just be able to copy/paste a pic into a thread.

The 502/504 gateway issues have disappeared but now my iPad is constantly crashing. One good thing is that I can actually now access the forums on my iPad!

Windows are disappearing, skipping to others I haven’t clicked on and a whole host of other problems or issues.

I think I will just check in periodically in the next week to see if things get ironed out and hopefully the forum becomes more user friendly.

1 Like

We can’t edit the original post?

I was going to see if there is a way to edit the title, but the edit option is not available for my original post. Is this how the forum is set up now?
Is it a time limit thing or just a general ‘no edits to original posts’ thing?

It is harder to learn a whole new set up when every click involves spinning and waiting. No ability to just click things to see how they work, unless you want to sit there watching the spinning circle.

Edit to add - I went and looked back and it appears no editing is a time feature. Because my posts from yesterday in this thread are not able to be edited either.

Also, there is a little glitch that when you edit, your post won’t show as edited for a little bit, making us think it didn’t edit.
It did, just took a bit to show it was edited.

Hope that makes sense?

Page loads are still fairly slow.

I looked at my Inbox in Messages and I have a ton of messages in there???

I would like to be able to get back (I seem to recall thinking this could/would happen?) my old messages?

Notifications I think I’ve cleaned up so I don’t get email every time I am quoted :slight_smile: (the notification was fine with me :slight_smile: )

Yes, I know that part. Or better said, I have noticed that part.
That is not what I am commenting on. The edit option is not available for older posts.

@Simkie This is what I get when I try to access your thread with all the helpful advice.

To multi quote, you can highlight the text you want to quote from any post, and and “quote” button will appear. Click on that, and that quoted text will be added to your reply box, which shows up as a split screen at the bottom of the page.

You can also click “Reply” on an individual post, then click the speech bubble icon all the way on the left in your message editor, to include that quote in your post.

Currently, when you hit reply to a post, it will mark that post as a reply (and it will be available as a nested reply under that post, in addition to being added in chronological order at the end of the thread.) It does not automatically add a quote of the post you’re replying to to your reply – you just have to click the speech bubble to add it.

Sub replies should only expand if you click on them. They appear chronologically in the thread like they used to as well. Is that not what you’re seeing? Once we get used to that feature, it should let people see, for example, if someone’s question has already been answered in a long thread.

Can you let me know what thread? Then I can figure out what you’re seeing.

We just fixed the landing page – you should now see the more familiar Categories tab as your default view instead of the Latest posts tab

They are going to be working on getting these back after we’re up and running. Previews when you hover over a topic aren’t an out-of-the-box option on this platform, but it’s on the list to return.

We’re going to be checking out different settings/options, but in the meantime, you can adjust your preference to how you’d like to follow different threads via your Preferences. For example, you can automatically Watch threads in which you’ve posted, or that you’ve spent a certain amount of time reading. You can set your defaults for that by clicking on your avatar, then your username, then Preferences, then Notifications (from the menu on the left).

I’m not sure what you mean by this…could you please explain a bit more.

Someone else contacted me about a similar problem. I’ll be looking into it now that I can do a bit more on the site!

We just fixed the default view, so it’s back to the Categories view you’re probably looking for!

I know they temporarily disabled search this morning because it was causing some of the freezing issues. It will be back!

Are you able to enter OT when you click on it? There is a lock icon next to CE, OT and Giveaways, because we restrict access to non-registered users, but I believe you should be able to get in all the Categories you can see. If you’re locked out, you won’t be able to see them. Unless we have to fix the settings, so let me know if you can’t get in!

I’ve notified the developers.

Yes. From the OP, you can click on “last reply” from the bar at the end of the post that shows info about who has posted. Also, when you’re looking at the list of threads, you can also click on the number that shows the number of replies in that thread. It will give you options to click to the start of the thread or the end of the thread from there.

You can actually navigate to another thread and pull a quote from there, and add it along with quotes from the thread you’re on. The system will ask you which thread you want to post your reply on if you’re quoting from multiple sources.

I’m not sure in the case of Simkie’s FAQ thread if it’ll pull everything over. Let me try.

Let me play around with it. But first, I want to get all this posted in case I mis-click and delete it all!

2 Likes

Thank you @Moderator_1 (I am still not getting the ability to pick people from a list for this, like the instructions say.) for the long helpful response.

I hope they figure out what is causing all the delays.

Good information to have, but still curious how to post a link to a particular post.

I have not been able to get my profile to open today. I did finally get into Simkie’s facts thread, but still time out before getting into my profile, so not able to change any settings right now.

I do have a question, I saw in the facts thread something about post counts. I do not see my post count anywhere. Is that only visible in my profile (that is not wanting me to see it today)?

I’m not sure if that’s a glitch and if this is what you’re trying to do, but while performance gets ironed out:
If you want to return to the home page, you can click the logo icon at the upper left corner.

Or if you want to go back to the sub forum in which you were reading, you can click on it from the bar at the top of the page. For example, here, I could click on the Technical Help Forum to go back to the list of threads there. Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 10.24.00 AM

You can also click the “hamburger menu” in the upper right, then click on a different category to jump to from whatever page you’re on.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 10.26.15 AM

Right here is just fine for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Hey @moderator_1 should we have a thread with the “known issues” listed in the first post? Either something pinned and locked, or open for reporting? It can be tough for people to scroll through a long thread, trying to see if their issue has been reported & is known, or if it’s new. I was about to start something, but thought you might want to own that :grin:

Hope things aren’t too crazy for you!!

1 Like

Are you able to modify the original post at any time?
As I stated above, I am not able to modify the original post or I would be more than happy to. But I am assuming you have more rights than I do.

@moderator_1 Thank you for the information about getting to the last post. It has made things much easier!

1 Like

They’re definitely working on figuring out the configurations needed to bring the performance up to snuff. I’m guessing some of that wonky behavior might relate to lags in loading pages, etc. so I think your strategy to check back in a bit is a good one. Sorry for the frustration! We’ll get there!

I’ll go in and work on updating the edit settings after I get through this thread. Thanks for the heads up. There were some settings I changed on the dummy site before I realized they wouldn’t automatically carry over, and I forgot all the little things I tweaked to have the developers implement them on the real site.

I think what you’re seeing is that all your saved messages from the old site have been brought over en masse to your new inbox. I don’t think the developers could maintain old folders, etc. Does that explain what you’re seeing?

Yes, I think that’s under your profile summary. I just went to check but got the spinning wheel. :woozy_face: We’re looking to get the display of user locations back next to their posts, so we can potentially return post counts there too if it’s a popular desire.

1 Like

As I said above. You are amazing!

I will say that I kind of like it that the original post can not be removed or edited away. But then it adds other problems, like the OP adding updates.

I have no preference on post count showing or not showing under our ID. I was just curious because it was something specifically mentioned in the facts thread and I was not seeing that number anywhere.

I guess it is good that you too get the spinning wheel. Easier for them to fix problems if they are duplicatable.

Thank you again for all the hard work.

1 Like

The new software is impossibly slow and that’s just for today after multiple gateway errors yesterday. What did you do, got back to Windows 3.11?

If someone was paid for this rollout, they should refund any money they received.

1 Like

I think I just fixed the edit settings so everyone can edit till the end of time. Please let me know if it worked!

I’ll get some main “known issues” added to your OP.

1 Like

You fixed it! The edit pencil shows up again. :grinning:

I definitely understand and am feeling your frustration with the site performance, but this pretty much happens whenever they roll out a major update. I promise it’ll be better soon!

I do not pretend to be a tech expert, but I’m guessing it’s a challenge to simulate all of the real-life performance demands on a system until it goes live. I can assure you that the beta site was zippy and worked great with a half dozen or so people using it, so hopefully we’ll all be able to experience that soon now that it’s opened up to our community of thousands (not to mention all the bots and spammers pinging us relentlessly in the background.)

We don’t have quite the manpower of a Google or Facebook tech team behind us, but I know they’re dutifully working away to get things up to speed.

Woo-hoo! Great! I’ve got a whole bunch of new gizmos to figure out how to use too, so I’m happy for a 1 in the W column. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A couple more known issues for your list @moderator_1 :grin:

• Search is disabled
  • Usernames with numbers
2 Likes

Forum browsing abilities are gone - if I am in this thread, for instance, there is no forum tree at the top of the thread to click to go back to the subforum (Technical Help) OR to go back to the main forum.

A few users (myself included) have numbers now in our name.

Is the team trying to replicate the old forum layout in terms of trees and forum/subforum display? It is currently very unorganized.

3 Likes

This is the top of my page while reading your post. If I hit the big C it takes me back to the forum home page. If I hit the Technical assistance or the technical help forum it takes me to those sections (I believe they are called categories on this forum).

1 Like