Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

Is there a way to reorder the hamburger menu topics to match the order they are in the forum home page? Or since it looks like the way they are ordered is by post count (maybe unread? not really sure) instead of the post countdown going from left to right have them go from top to bottom chronological order? As it is right now you’ve got to read it in a zig zag (left right, down left right, down left right).

I went in to preferences to hide topics I never read. I was hoping it would remove what I never look at from hamburger menu (or at least reorder so the ones that aren’t marked as mute are listed first in the hamburger), but looks like it just removes them from the main list on the forum front page.

I feel like the hamburger menu forum sections are in a different order every time I go up there. So I guess putting them in a specific order would first require them to make them not change.

I think the order is based on posts unread, new posts, it is based on the number showing next to them whatever the number is. It would just be nice to keep the ones you don’t read hidden OR make the way they are listed (by highest number to lowest) read top to bottom instead of left to right. Could be me personally that finds reading a chronological list that way a bit difficult!

Muting a forum in preferences does remove that forum from the hamburger menu. Are you not seeing that?

1 Like

I wasn’t seeing any changes. I cleared cache (not cookies, derp) and restarted my computer and it now works that way! Thank goodness.

1 Like

Yay! Glad it worked!

Just for everyone’s knowledge, since we’re talking about it, the small green dot appears by default next to topics that are new within the past 2 days.

The bigger green circle with a number in it is supposed to show new posts in a topic that you are Watching or Tracking.

@Simkie I did a little digging around on the Discourse forum and found a thread with a few people talking about getting a weird aberrant new posts circle showing up like yours…it was this summer and the thread got off track and there didn’t seem to be a resolution. Is it just that one thread for you?

Nope, it’s pretty consistent that there are a small handful of random threads showing tracking behavior that shouldn’t every day or every other. It’s not consistent across platform–I’ll see the notifications on mobile but not desktop or vice versa (it’s not just a problem on one, just not consistent to both) and there are more examples up thread a ways.

It’s not a big deal at all, just a bit of an oddity!

Random thing I noticed today (more form than functionality - not a huge deal and nothing a little alignment adjustment can’t fix). If you click on a users name within a topic it has a little pop up. On my laptop, if the poster’s name I’m reading is at the top of the viewing area then the pop up pops up out of view. I was expecting to be taken to a profile and since the pop up was not in view at all on my screen it looked like nothing was happening. I did a screen shot where I clicked mods name and then just scrolled up a teeny bit to show how far away from their name the pop up showed (the shadowed box did not show at all until I scrolled), second picture scrolled up far enough to be able to see the full pop up.

Do they show up under your Unread tab too? Maybe try a Dismiss All from that view and see if any more pop up after that?

You know, I’ve noticed that too, and meant to mention something to them. Thanks! I’ll do that now.

1 Like

Nope, they never show up on the unread tab, only on the latest list or suggested at the bottom of a thread.

I navigate from my unread tab, generally, so it’ll be empty when I show the odd thread notifications.

Haven’t been able to figure out what’s driving it–there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to what gets marked erroneously.

This morning early, I could not get in COTH and this is what I kept getting:

Error ID:

376fc304

Details:

Web application could not be started by the Phusion Passenger application server.

Please read the Passenger log file (search for the Error ID) to find the details of the error.

You can also get a detailed report to appear directly on this page, but for security reasons it is only provided if Phusion Passenger is run with environment set to development and/or with the friendly error pages option set to on .

For more information about configuring environment and friendly error pages, see:

May not mean anything, but in case the development team needs to know, there it is.

All seems to be working fine now, at least the programs I use and how I use them are.

1 Like

I too was unable to get in for quite some time this morning.

I have another ‘lost thread’ I think.
I do not remember the title, something about someone galloping a horse down some highway.
It is the thread about the Dreadhead cowboy. I started an update thread because I could no find the original, but I would prefer to just post in the original if it is out there somewhere.

This has been around since the beginning, and I just got so used to ignoring it I forgot about it :laughing:

I kept getting blocked by the security system on my browser saying the site was unsafe. Needed to go to advanced to proceed.

1 Like

Maybe an advantage to sleeping in to the very strange sound of something, I think it’s rain, coming out of the sky (it’s been over four months since we had any :astonished: by the time I got here, it appears things are ok.

I find I still do not like the emoji set we’re currently using :rofl:

Is there a way to put the forum is “dark mode”? Sorry if I missed that already.

Nope, not right now. It was an option at launch but wasn’t working very well with some of our elements, so was removed. It might be a theme option in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Simkie Thank you! Hopefully soon. My eyes hurt so much less using dark mode. I do have the rest of my computer settings on dark mode, so it doesn’t affect this site at all.

1 Like