Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

This is what I see when I “seamlessly scroll with out pages” trying to get to the first new post. This gets stuck (no ability to scroll further).
It did not open to the first unread post. That was days later than where it opened to.
(And then I got another gateway error and had to start all over.)

3 Likes

Is there a way to filter out current events and off topic in the Latest tab?

1 Like

The FAQ thread is here:

The walk through on how to block specific forums is under “How can I hide a forum?” which is in the “Settings & Other FAQs” section.

1 Like

I’ve had 4 or 5 minutes of spinning for a post to load at times. It’s incredibly slow compared to the old forum for some reason. I wasn’t expecting that.

I’m also seeing that @trubandloki when trying to scroll to the bottom to see newer posts. I thought there was a way to see just the new posts since last read, but I can’t seem to find it, just the ability to go to the very last post by clicking on the 1d or 1h and then scrolling up from there to find what I’ve already read.

Is there a “go to first unread” feature I’m missing?

Hitting “Reply” several times and getting a 504 error, and then something about “drafts offline”, so hopefully this will eventually post just once.

4 Likes

I was getting 502 and 504 errors in about equal measure between about 7 and 11 EST today, Chrome 86/Windows 10 and Safari/iOS. Ratio about 2:1 failed load to “it loaded eventually.”

I’m no longer getting those errors, but the average page load speed is between 4 and 5 minutes.

1 Like

Clicking the thread title goes to first unread, but first unread will need to be “reset” on the threads you’re reading–that little virtual bookmark would not have come in from the other platform.

There are a lot of board and thread navigation tips in the FAQ to get you started:

It seems like ohhhh maybe 5 people can be active on the board at any one time right now :rofl: No doubt there are people hard at work on whatever is broken, but do check out the FAQ if you have questions or want tips, especially since a whole lot of us are having the same access issues and aren’t around to help with questions :grin:

2 Likes

Can’t get to the FAQ thread from your links right now.

1 Like

Multiple gateway errors, “notifications” dated from August (??), forum will not let me sign out and even closing your website, plus restarting my computer, I can go straight to the forums without logging in. Er, that is, after endless circling wheels, more gateway errors, blank pages, finally something loads and it is posts from February (not sure what year though, doesn’t say). I have no idea if this reply is going to show up. But there definitely needs to be a way to log out of Chronofhorse and/or Forum - same same now? Anyway I do have a fairly high powered and very new computer so tend to be of the opinion that it isn’t my computer causing these issues. Thanks, I guess…

2 Likes

I get a 504 error when I try to open the FAQs, so…

Is there a way to get the threads to show the replies in chronological order, instead of the semi-random nested effect that’s the default? It’s really hard to follow the conversation when the timeline is all mixed up like this.

5 Likes

Hey! I can finally get on!

Rest assured, the developers are working on getting the site performance working as it should. This is not the “final product” in terms of functionality, I promise you! :grimacing: :flushed:

I suggest letting them tap away at it tonight, and I’m sure things will continually improve throughout the week. Then we can better work on persistent issues and questions.

Thanks for your patience!
Mod 1

5 Likes

Mod1 Thanks to you and all the support staff. The 502 gateway is gone!!! Long live the COTH Forums.

Yes, to learn new things (thanks for the tip to select and reply to quote something). Now to learn how to get multiple quotes in a single reply :slight_smile:

:smiley: (need to learn how to use more emojis!!)

I often search Google first for a Chron topic. Now, for example, when I type “Uckele supplements chron” into Google, I’m directed to the general forum homepage instead of the actual posting. Are all the links broken?

4 Likes

This isn’t making it. I know a lot of work has gone into this and we need it. But it still has too many basic problems. It appears to offer a lot nifty features to play around with which is nice once you figure them out I’ll leave out errors and server errors I don’t like:.
slow
part of this post disappeared so i have to retype it?
no pages
sub-replies under a post should be thrown out. does not qualify as a feature., or
sub-replies under a post should open with everything else in chronicle order.
why did i get a thread from 2019 with 123 replies that was not revived…
slow
cannot get a list of topics in a particular forum.
Can’t tell if i already responded to a thread.
No previews of a topic so you can decide whether to read it.
Mishmash of topics, including Off topic which I don’t want.
Replies should be dated and timed, not 4h or 3 days.
Too much clutter in list of topics.
why are there 5 somethings in the middle of the page of topics.

Put the software development team in a room with snacks and soda and a nearby restroom. Lock them in and don’t let them out until they do something useful, like fixing basic stuff like pages, order of replies, list of topics, it goes on forever. Some of the complaints have been out there for weeks.

There is a circle on the lower left that has been turning for a long time. Why?

Software developers can’t design a good product until they understand the market and the users. They have to get down and dirty and use it.

That’s enough for now.

14 Likes

Ummm… help?

For some reason I am now smoofox1. When I search for my usual name, it shows me there is a smoofox with my usual avatar etc. So am I in the process of having horcruxes created for me? :roll_eyes: I tried logging out but I get automatically logged back in as smoofox1.

One of me was plenty enough.

Suggestions? Assistance?

4 Likes

I have a random list of topics with apparently random bright coloured letters beside them. There does not appear to be a way to identify topics or threads. I’m a busy person. I can’t be bothered to look for what I want to read. Goodbye.

1 Like

Lots of spinning wheel for me… search doesn’t seem to work, just getting the wheel of death!

Is the Off Topic thread closed? There’s a lock icon next to the link on the dropdown menu…

1 Like

Also, don’t bother searching the site with Google, the new URL hasn’t been set up correctly for forwarding all links (used to be chronofhorse.com/forum, now it’s forum.chronofhorse.com), so any search results off Google will just send you to the forum home page. :confused:

Wish there was a less resource-heavy version of the site, it is slowwwww on my tablet.

2 Likes

Yeah this is rather one of the clumsiest pieces of software I have ever seen. And I am in IT. Not sure what was wrong with the old one? Gonna give it until end of week, but from the looks of it, not sure the change was a good one. Might have to give up reading this forum

14 Likes

(For the record, I tried using quote, and it did not work for me so I did it manually.)
Today this took me to my start post, which is very clearly not the first unread post since I have posted after that, and I most certainly have read after that on this platform, so it is clearly not a case of the virtual bookmark not catching up on this platform.

The question I have is, not how to make that feature work correctly, but how to work with the forum with the feature not working correctly. If we have no pages, is there a way to more easily navigate to the end of a discussion so we do not have to scroll (and wait for the spinning) forever to get to the end? Is there some button to hit to take us to the end.

In defense of the people asking questions that are answered there - I got there yesterday morning and started reading and then I could not get back there. So it is great that there are tips, but people can’t read them since getting to that forum was just not happening. I was able to read this thread because it came up on the list.

The forum is still very slow this morning. Lots of spinning to get this thread open. Like I already mentioned it did not take me to the last read post when clicking the thread so that feature is not working.

Off to click more things to see if I am able to do that.

Edit to add - One plus from yesterday - The bar at the top that @Simkie refers to frequently in her instructions is actually visible today. Yesterday it was there…sometimes but not often.

Is there a way to link to a certain post?

Example, you are telling someone the information is right here with a link to the specific post.

@moderator1 (never got the option to pick from a pop-up list of users so do not know if that tag will work) tell the hard working people who are making this all work that so far this morning I have gotten some spinning, but have not had a time out error. :grinning: