Unlimited access >

New horse-help!!

so i recently purchased a warmblood holsteiner cross recently, he is 17 hh and super sweet. Both his parents are grand prix horses, and he moves beautifully. I want to do grand prix as well, but i dont know if he can. He can comfortably jump like 7 feet free jumping, and do a 12 jump course at 6 feet, and his lead changes are spot on. Could he do grand prix?!? He is 8 by the way

This would be a better question for your trainer. Very few members of this Forum have actually rode at that level and even fewer have brought a horse up the levels.

I forsee a train wreck here…

If he’s already schooling 6’ courses, was he shown?

When you purchased the horse, did you discuss with your trainer your goals to do the GPs? Did she then recommend this horse for you?

Have you shown?

Did you discuss with the seller what they thought the horse was suited for/capable of?

Do people actually still play those SIM games???

It doesn’t solely depend on the horse. It depends whether the rider is capable as well.

Are you ready to do the GP? I would start lower and work myself there, if you and the horse have talent, the trainer, and the $$$.

As for me? I will stick to feeling sick about jumping a small course of cross rails.

Popcorn anyone?

[QUOTE=Belmont;8136570]

Popcorn anyone?[/QUOTE]

It’s Cinco de Mayo, so I’m gonna grab a margarita :wink:

Hey there! I think you are on the wrong forum board.

The fantasy land fairy tale rainbow farting unicorn board is a different forum.

This form is for serious people, who take care of, ride and train horses, and want to expand their practical knowledge.

Also, might want to work on your writing skills, it makes reading fiction more enjoyable.

Good luck.

Happy cinco de mayo everyone.

I’m happy that he has his changes- that is really good news. Often those 1.8m jumpers don’t have them yet.

Perfect day to break out the guac and chips!

Kim

We can’t tell if he can do the Grand Prix without seeing videos. That really helps COTH posters determine if he has the scope to jump Olympic fences.

Sounds like he could set world records jumping 6’ courses though!

Just send him to me to free lease for 6 months and I’ll let you know if he can do the GPs. I mean, if he can pack my fat ammy behind around like 3foot surely he can get a semi competent rider around the GPs.

Thanks for that advice, but you are wrong. I have been riding for 18 years and am an advanced rider. My trainer has trained grand prix horses before and she says he could do it, but I wanted an honest opinion from other horse people. So go ************. And for those of you who actually gave me nice answers, i’ll see if i can post pictures or a video.

In reply to Appsolute

Choo choo.

If you have a horse who can jump a course of 6’ fences (and has his changes, no less!) why do you need to ask if it can do the Grand Prixs? Isn’t the answer yes, of course?

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137288]
Thanks for that advice, but you are wrong. I have been riding for 18 years and am an advanced rider. My trainer has trained grand prix horses before and she says he could do it, but I wanted an honest opinion from other horse people. So go ************. And for those of you who actually gave me nice answers, i’ll see if i can post pictures or a video.

In reply to Appsolute[/QUOTE]

The question still stands… Do you have the ability to jump GP? What does your trainer say? Do you have the funds for a GP career?

If you’ve ridden for 18 years, wouldn’t you know that no one could answer your question with the information given?

The fact that his parents were grand prix horses can certainly help, but it’s no guarantee. A video can tell a lot, but it can’t really answer the question. There are too many factors at play.

First of all they have to have the athletic ability, then they have to have the mind, and then they have to have the soundness. Lots of horses have the ability, but they don’t have the mind to withstand the training and the pressure of competing. Lots of horses have the first two attributes but can’t stay sound. What some horses lack in sheer athleticism they make up with their willing mind and their soundness. Lots of variables always at play.

All of this must be properly managed by a rider and trainer who can bring them up the levels thoughtfully without overfacing or overworking. (I would not advise jumping 6 foot courses or 7 foot free jumping if you want to keep him sound.) The rider too must also have the athletic ability, mind, and soundness. (Add to that significant financial resources.)

It’s a step by step process, and only time, training, performance, and even a little luck of both horse and rider can tell. Rather than focusing on the end goal, try to enjoy the process. With horses, it’s never a wasted effort.

You’re so much nicer that I am, corgif…