Unlimited access >

New horse-help!!

Too early for wine and guac. May I have second donut?

Hmmm…I was under the impression that my Holsteiner WAS a warmblood. Now I know I was wrong all along.

Come to Europe, this horse could surely be a competitive 6-bar horse. It will pay for its own shipping in no time haha

I have been riding almost 18 years and I DEFINITELY can not navigate a Grand Prix course :lol:

There is no way this thread is actually serious right? 1.80m COURSES isn’t even a thing in competitions is it?!

If you have been riding for 18 years, then you must be in your 20’s. The first post honestly made you sound like a 10 year old kid dreaming about the Unicorn Olympics. And telling people to **** off is not making your case at all. :no:

If you want serious responses from the very experienced people on this board, it would do good to sound like an adult when you write. Do you really expect us to believe that your horse is jumping around 6’ courses? Someone doing that wouldn’t need to ask this question. I call BS.

I would like to see videos (and or pictures) to confirm your horse is jumping the large fences seen during the top GPs in the world and 6-bar classes.

You can copy/paste links from YouTube or Vimeo (most common sites).

[QUOTE=PaintPony;8137483]
If you have been riding for 18 years, then you must be in your 20’s. The first post honestly made you sound like a 10 year old kid dreaming about the Unicorn Olympics. And telling people to **** off is not making your case at all. :no:

If you want serious responses from the very experienced people on this board, it would do good to sound like an adult when you write. Do you really expect us to believe that your horse is jumping around 6’ courses? Someone doing that wouldn’t need to ask this question. I call BS.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been riding for 20 years, and I’m in my twenties… And I almost pee’d myself attempting to jump a very small course of my horse the other day… Can this be a support group?

[QUOTE=merrygoround;8137378]
Too early for wine and guac. May I have second donut?[/QUOTE]

Wait. It’s gotta be 5 o’clock somewhere?!

To corgif

When we freejumped him it was to determine scope and ability as well as soundness, and he did it with front and back boots on good footing with a proper warm up as well as cool down. And the 6 foot course was at his last barn before i bought him i was only there to watch. He is perfectly sound, slightly cocky (actually- very cocky. But were working on it), so hes confident, and he does have the ability. With a rider thats more confident at bigger jumps then i am, hes happy and willing to do whatever you point him at. I am not at the level where i am comfortable at that height, as i only switched from dressage 4 ish years ago. And i realize that will take many yaers to get there, it at all, because horse back riding is an unpredictable and dangerous sport. When i asked the question i was looking at years in the future, and it was slightly a random question because my trainer mentioned it and i was curious.

To everyone else
And for more information on him, hes only been to one show but ive been to many. He was born and raised at the barn i bought him from, so i know this. He was broken then abandoned by his owner and shesurrendered him to the barn owner. Hewas left in the pasture for 4 years and then was under saddle again for 2 weeks before he was taken to the show. Understandably, he did not do well. He was put in the pasture for another 5 months then i began riding him. We did well for about 2 months before i was thrown and had a concussion. Well with the concussion the doctors found another medical condition and bam i was in the OR and couldent ride for 6 months. So after that i started riding him again and after another 3 months we moved. That was when we purchased him. He passed the vet check, and he came to our new home. He got in shape again and about a week ago he got shoes for the first time. He didnt mind at all. Now we are schooling meter jumps (thats about as high as i can go for now) and he loves it. He stands for vets, dentist, farrier and ships well. And im 18. And just a reminder- he only did the course once and not with me. I am lookin at the future. And ill try to get a video or picture up

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8136501]
so i recently purchased a warmblood holsteiner cross recently, he is 17 hh and super sweet. Both his parents are grand prix horses, and he moves beautifully. I want to do grand prix as well, but i dont know if he can. He can comfortably jump like 7 feet free jumping, and do a 12 jump course at 6 feet, and his lead changes are spot on. Could he do grand prix?!? He is 8 by the way

Thanks for that advice, but you are wrong. I have been riding for 18 years and am an advanced rider. My trainer has trained grand prix horses before and she says he could do it, but I wanted an honest opinion from other horse people. So go ************. And for those of you who actually gave me nice answers, i’ll see if i can post pictures or a video.

In reply to Appsolute

To corgif

When we freejumped him it was to determine scope and ability as well as soundness, and he did it with front and back boots on good footing with a proper warm up as well as cool down. And the 6 foot course was at his last barn before i bought him i was only there to watch. He is perfectly sound, slightly cocky (actually- very cocky. But were working on it), so hes confident, and he does have the ability. With a rider thats more confident at bigger jumps then i am, hes happy and willing to do whatever you point him at. I am not at the level where i am comfortable at that height, as i only switched from dressage 4 ish years ago. And i realize that will take many yaers to get there, it at all, because horse back riding is an unpredictable and dangerous sport. When i asked the question i was looking at years in the future, and it was slightly a random question because my trainer mentioned it and i was curious.

To everyone else
And for more information on him, hes only been to one show but ive been to many. He was born and raised at the barn i bought him from, so i know this. He was broken then abandoned by his owner and shesurrendered him to the barn owner. Hewas left in the pasture for 4 years and then was under saddle again for 2 weeks before he was taken to the show. Understandably, he did not do well. He was put in the pasture for another 5 months then i began riding him. We did well for about 2 months before i was thrown and had a concussion. Well with the concussion the doctors found another medical condition and bam i was in the OR and couldent ride for 6 months. So after that i started riding him again and after another 3 months we moved. That was when we purchased him. He passed the vet check, and he came to our new home. He got in shape again and about a week ago he got shoes for the first time. He didnt mind at all. Now we are schooling meter jumps (thats about as high as i can go for now) and he loves it. He stands for vets, dentist, farrier and ships well.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a video of the horse free jumping? Video of him being ridden, etc? Is your trainer currently competing in Grand Prix? What’s your background - someone who has ridden dressage for 18 years will not have as easy a time as someone who has been jumping for 18 years, but it’s not impossible.

I hope you understand why people are skeptical…a sound 8 year old with a good mind and confidence that can do a course of jumps set at 1.8m with the changes is easily a seven figure horse…probably more and is also probably on his way to the Olympics. Most people who have been in the English horse world for 18 years would probably not use the phrase ‘warmblood holsteiner cross’ but would include blood lines, etc.

I have a rising 5 year old KWPN gelding that has a massive amount of scope and athleticism, but his ridability is sketchy at best (at present) and I’m certainly NOT a Grand Prix level rider - nor do I think I will ever be…despite the fact that I’ve been riding for 25 years and my trainer has medaled at the Olympics…

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137623]
To corgif

To everyone else
And for more information on him, hes only been to one show but ive been to many. He was born and raised at the barn i bought him from, so i know this. He was broken then abandoned by his owner and shesurrendered him to the barn owner. Hewas left in the pasture for 4 years and then was under saddle again for 2 weeks before he was taken to the show. Understandably, he did not do well. He was put in the pasture for another 5 months then i began riding him. We did well for about 2 months before i was thrown and had a concussion. Well with the concussion the doctors found another medical condition and bam i was in the OR and couldent ride for 6 months. So after that i started riding him again and after another 3 months we moved. That was when we purchased him. He passed the vet check, and he came to our new home. He got in shape again and about a week ago he got shoes for the first time. He didnt mind at all. Now we are schooling meter jumps (thats about as high as i can go for now) and he loves it. He stands for vets, dentist, farrier and ships well. And im 18. And just a reminder- he only did the course once and not with me. I am lookin at the future. And ill try to get a video or picture up[/QUOTE]

Until you can jump GP, I wouldn’t worry about his ability unless you are looking to market him in GP or have your trainer ride him in GP classes. Also, if he is young and hasn’t done a ton of GP level courses, he probably needs a good GP trainer. A trainer that is used to what it makes and takes to bring up this kind of horse. Not every good trainer can be a good GP trainer.

There are a ton of knowledgeable people on here. Pictures and video of course would help assess his talent, but unfortunately you can’t always tell the truth from one course and one picture.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137288]
Thanks for that advice, but you are wrong. I have been riding for 18 years and am an advanced rider. My trainer has trained grand prix horses before and she says he could do it, but I wanted an honest opinion from other horse people. [/QUOTE]
So your GP trainer has given you advice, but you want an “honest opinion” from a bunch of strangers on the internet to whom you have provided absolutely nothing on which to base that “honest opinion.” And then you tell them to “go **etc.” Best of luck to you!

Hey now, don’t hate on the Unicorn Olympics. Many unicorns work very hard to get to the Unicorn Olympics and have to jump many rainbows to get there!! :smiley:

This isn’t even a creative troll. Sad, I was hoping for a legitimate trainwreck, not some kid living in fantasyland riding Pegasus who farts rainbows over the top of a record-setting fence.

I don’t even have any guac to munch on. Sigh…

A european former young rider who happens to be a friend of mine bred a stellar mare out of a top state stallion. The mare was free jumping 2.20 with room and everyone was extremely hopeful this would be a legit 5* horse. She turned out to be unrideable when started. Some of the top riders in the country tried to ride the mare, but she just wasn’t having it. This nonsense of jumping 6ft courses aside, you can have a horse with all the talent in the world who still can’t make it as a show or even a riding horse. I suspect that if this horse did everything you say, he’d be in Saudi right now. My friends horse lives in a field now. If you have a good trainer, and the horse is mentally stable, I’m sure he’ll be able to do anything you might be capable of doing. Generally the greatest limitation a horse has is his rider.

Showidaho

Like i said, i will try to get a video. My trainer doues not compete at that level though she has trained riders to that level. We bought him from the barn owner because no one was riding him besides me and after i mover he would be turned out again. Because of this we got him really cheap considering his bloodline/ potential. He was only five figures and i understand why people are being skeptical- they dont have to be jerks about it though. He is still very green and tends to get over exited, and we still have a lot of work to do.and just because i have been riding for a while doesnt mean i paid a whole lot of attention to money and horse worth. Hopefully i will beable to take him at least partway to where he could go, and if i cant i will sell him to someone who can. I know he is probably worth then we bought him for- and thats wicked cool. But he is the sweetest horse alive and i love him, so as long as i can teach him something and he can teach me i will own and love him.

Also, as someone who’s up close and personal with a six-bar champion, both the horses and rider, it’s hard to even fathom any horse coursing at this height. That said, a 1.40 or 1.50, let alone a 1.60 course can look GINORMOUS to most of us.

And it did look like huge jumps, but we measured it.

http://picardfacepalm.com/

You’re 18 years old and you’ve been riding 18 years? When you were 4, I’d hardly call that riding.
A 5-figure horse jumping around 1.8 course. No. I’ve seen a horse jump around a 1.60 course once in my life in person. Don’t worry about the ability to do grand prixs until you get him around a 1.40 course at a show, then you can think about whether he’ll be capable of a move up.

International grand prixs are what, 5’ 6"? How does that translate to meters, then, is that 1.6? I’m having a hard time just visualizing the standards capable of going up to 6’, especially an entire course of them.

OP, please free jump that bugger and link the video! Mike Matson would be all over it.

[QUOTE=showmanship;8137537]
Wait. It’s gotta be 5 o’clock somewhere?![/QUOTE]

I do believe in England, it is indeed well past 5 now.

However hard, the OP works at convincing us she is legit. But being 18 and having been riding for 18 years does not compute. I do believe in pre-natal effects but this is pushing the limit.