Unlimited access >

New horse-help!!

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137705]
Showidaho

Like i said, i will try to get a video. My trainer doues not compete at that level though she has trained riders to that level. We bought him from the barn owner because he was broke and needed money, also because no one was riding him besides me and after i mover he would be turned out again. Because of this we got him really cheap considering his bloodline/ potential. He was only five figures and i understand why people are being skeptical- they dont have to be jerks about it though. He is still very green and tends to get over exited, and we still have a lot of work to do.and just because i have been riding for a while doesnt mean i paid a whole lot of attention to money and horse worth. Hopefully i will beable to take him at least partway to where he could go, and if i cant i will sell him to someone who can. I know he is probably worth then we bought him for- and thats wicked cool. But he is the sweetest horse alive and i love him, so as long as i can teach him something and he can teach me i will own and love him.[/QUOTE]

Training a horse and training a rider to GP, I believe, are two different beasts. I don’t foresee a GREAT GP trainer training others to do GP successfully, without being a GP rider themselves.

I agree. I have to see this horse. Sounds pretty amazing if he is all you say he is!

My mother rode whileshe was pregnant and from the day i was born she would through me up on the old plodders around the barn and let me ride around.And my trainer rode in GP when she was young. She also went to many george morris clinics. I am going to the barn tonight, i will get a pic/video then.

[QUOTE=eastendjumper;8137809]
International grand prixs are what, 5’ 6"? How does that translate to meters, then, is that 1.6? I’m having a hard time just visualizing the standards capable of going up to 6’, especially an entire course of them.

OP, please free jump that bugger and link the video! Mike Matson would be all over it.[/QUOTE]

1.60m, or 5’3". And a good number of jumps on course would be closer to 5’.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137849]
from the day i was born she would through me up on the old plodders around the barn and let me ride around[/QUOTE]

I must have been slow to develop. I couldn’t even hold my head up on my own.

Neither could i. I had ti be held.

Well OP - if you are from a family of accomplished riders, ride with a GP trainer - I think YOU could tell us what it takes to make it to the GP, and what type horse and scope it takes to make it to that level.

I was just a lowly full working student who rode, and trained my horses to the High Children’s Jumpers and Prelim level eventing (and yes, my trainer rode with GM in her youth, and all of her students - me included, went to the GM clinics when he came around).

So, I think you know that if a horse can go around a “6’ course” then he probably has enough scope for the FEI GP classes which usually top out at 5’3"

What classes do you usually ride in OP? At the many shows you go to.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137944]
Neither could i. I had ti be held.[/QUOTE]

Well, then I think you may be able to see why most will not consider that truly riding. :winkgrin:

If you think some here are posting with less-then-friendly advice, you could really take a look at your posts. And I say this with the intention of being helpful. Your posts come across as if you are a young person who is only used to corresponding with your peers. Take more time to be sure you use better grammar in your posts. There are a lot of great, helpful people here, many well educated. When you write your posts using “i” and have misspelled words all over the place, many will not take you seriously. It looks as if you do not care. Add that to what some may conceive as exaggerations, and you will get less-then-helpful advice. And to be honest, when you are a new poster, the group tends to be a little pickier. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8137849]
My mother rode whileshe was pregnant and from the day i was born she would through me up on the old plodders around the barn and let me ride around.And my trainer rode in GP when she was young. She also went to many george morris clinics. I am going to the barn tonight, i will get a pic/video then.[/QUOTE]

Great! Can’t wait to see him!

What is his breeding? A Ton of people on here are genetic guru’s/breeders of quality sport horses! That could be very helpful in determining his ability, mind, and soundness.

I’ll get his breeding on here when I post the pictures.

And Appsolute- i said i did dressage for most of my riding. It was only recently that I started hunter/jumper. I rode a pony in the hunter ring, i have never done jumpers. I have also ridden a grand prix horse before and jumped him. He was a totally different horse.(and if you dont believe me-look up tayler cobb and odysseus. Odies a 16.1 hand dutch warmblood that gets very hot very fast, and tayler is now 18. Odie was her mothers horse.). But in my many shows, i did short stirrup hunters at 2 foot 6. If you read my last couple posts, you know that I was out for medical reasons for the past 2 show seasons. Before that i rode a pony in the hunters. And my mom was the only one who rode, and she was not accomplished. She did not show, only rode for fun. She mostly trail rode. And I also only have ridden with my trainer for about 2 months top now.

Okay- I found his dam and sire

Sire: Chaka Khan: Holsteiner
Dam: Lucky Flash: Dutch Warmblood

Ohhh haaaaaaa haaaaaaa laaaaaa laaaaaa please do not stop!!!

Ohhh haaaaaaa haaaaaaa laaaaaa laaaaaa please do not stop!!!
What?

So what do you want us to tell you?

YES a horse that can jump a course set at SIX FEET high can most likely jump a course set at five feet three inches.

But it takes a rider to bring a horse to the GP. That is why you see the same riders over and over with different horses at that level.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8138007]
(and if you dont believe me-look up tayler cobb and odysseus. Odies a 16.1 hand dutch warmblood that gets very hot very fast, and tayler is now 18. Odie was her mothers horse.). [/QUOTE]

So odd. Not sure why this went to third person, but there is a Taylor Cobb on Odysseus. Taylor, not Tayler. there are even videos of Taylor as well as the person listed as Taylor’s mom. It looks like Taylor was doing 1.2M in 2009 on an adorable appy (five years ago, before OP is indicating she started jumping?). This Taylor’s mom DID show and looks like a decent rider.

the person shooting one of those videos does list a tayler in it. and another video says it’s “directed” by Tayler. Shows some girls having fun with ponies over 2-2’3" ish jumps.

[QUOTE=RugBug;8138063]
So odd. Not sure why this went to third person, but there is a Taylor Cobb on Odysseus. Taylor, not Tayler. there are even videos of Taylor as well as the person listed as Taylor’s mom. It looks like Taylor was doing 1.2M in 2009 on an adorable appy (five years ago, before OP is indicating she started jumping?). This Taylor’s mom DID show and looks like a decent rider.

the person shooting one of those videos does list a tayler in it. and another video says it’s “directed” by Tayler. Shows some girls having fun with ponies over 2-2’3" ish jumps.[/QUOTE]

I believe Tayler’s horse is the GP horse she rode once, if I am following this all correctly.

So fishjumper, I don’t get it. What exactly do you want us to tell you? :confused:

The pony in the videos is probably Kokanee. Her horse now is Odyssues, and he has done grand prix. Odie was given to her by Nicole. I have ridden Odie multiple times, but only jumped once. And it’s Tayler.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xePWZh2fb1s

This is Nicole and Odie at a grand prix.

Chaka Kahn seems like a nice stallion. I’m sure others will have more info on him than I do. I can’t find anything about the mare or any video. I don’t know where the stallion resides at now, last known address that I can track is in Oregon, which seems to be where you are from.

https://vimeo.com/6585516

There is a fun video of the stud, if you have not seen it already.

ETA I found “Chaka Khan” USEF stuff. He is owned by Joe Montana and his wife. Fun fact!

I bought Nino in Oregon, where he was bred. I am not totally sure, but I believe he was bred at Cornerstone stables. His registered name is Pez Volante if you want to look it up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGp4CQSCic

I found a video- this is him about a week out of the pasture when he was for sale. He looks a lot better now, so I will post a picture if him now.

Interesting that the video description and OP say he has changes, but they only show one simple change in the whole video.