Unlimited access >

New video may change the way you ride: "The Biomechanics of Proper Engagement"

Good basic overview, though something about the presentation does shout “infomercial.” Maybe the tinkly “inspirational” background music?

I see a lot of bad riding from people who are “experienced.” I find that this kind of intelligent, well-proven, documented argument does little to convince them because they don’t have the knowledge base in terms of anatomy, health, etc., to understand the proof. Unfortunately.

But a good video and I will link on Facebook :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Color of Light;8628547]
Thank you!! This is a beautiful summary and explanation, including easy to understand evidence, about proper training compared to improper training. A useful visualization for ALL riders of all levels and experience!

I appreciate all the time and effort that went into this study and creation of the video! Thank you![/QUOTE]

I agree. I’m going to e-mail it to a client. I have been explaining similar ideas to him as I show him how I’m riding his horse and why. I really appreciate having such detailed and illustrated help with teaching someone about equine anatomy and biomechanics.

Also, I found it interesting that they say it takes about two years to build a base of fitness. I have found that to be about right, but I wasn’t sure that I wasn’t being too slow.

I don’t think all this is obvious to the non-lifelong rider. And I so appreciate having clarity as well as some DVM/PhD authorities echoing what I have a said about horses using their core. I don’t know all the vets, but Sue Dyson is a great researchers. I think she’s written a few major textbooks on equine lameness. I am pretty educated, but why should anyone believe their horse trainer?

In addition, the pictures of horses in damaging postures and examples of that “broken” neck and kissing spines were well chosen! Most of us don’t see extremes like that too often. Watching the upper level horses with that big dip in their back ahead of the SI joint and the narrator explaining how even those horses can “cheat” and leave their hind legs out behind them was helpful for me. I need to develop my eye so that I can see a horse using his hind end in collection (as I can see it when he’s in a longer, lower frame) vs. looking “vertical” with his neck and shoulder in front, but leaving his back quite low from the withers back.

Thanks everyone, for watching and taking the time to write such well thought out responses! We really appreciate you considering the information and sharing the link, re-posting, etc. The main objective of the video is not to be an “infomercial” but rather to start as much discussion as possible. Open dialogue and the respectful exchange of ideas can only help make life better for horses. Thanks again for sharing!

Hmmm… Art 2 Ride. That is Will Faber’s establishment down in San Diego. Ah yes. While the idea may be valid, the messenger leaves suspicion.

[QUOTE=Padma Video;8629010]
Thanks everyone, for watching and taking the time to write such well thought out responses! We really appreciate you considering the information and sharing the link, re-posting, etc. The main objective of the video is not to be an “infomercial” but rather to start as much discussion as possible. Open dialogue and the respectful exchange of ideas can only help make life better for horses. Thanks again for sharing![/QUOTE]

And would that “we” include Will Faber? Its a whole other kind of sales job.

OP, you want actual detailed technical feedback?

The anatomy overview at the start is a bit rushed. The narrator falls into a kind of rushed monotone voice that makes it hard for the viewer to retain information. It reminds me of when my students are rushing through an oral presentation when perhaps they don’t quite understand the material, and we all just tune them out. I realize the narrator here does understand, but she needs to have some pauses and modulation for the viewer to follow.

The other thing is, the tinkly music really bothers me, because I associate it with so many “reveals” on home and weight-loss make-over programs. As soon as people see the wonderful kitchen or the “new me” in the mirror, the tinkly inspirational music comes up to cue the viewer that it’s all good now.

Now this is a totally personal reaction :slight_smile: and I realize that when you are making a professional/commercial video, you are limited as to what background music you can use, because of copyright payments, and I think you might just have a loop repeating in the background.

But for myself, I’d rather have silence than continual mood music under the dialogue. For me, silence under dialogue means “serious documentary” and inspirational tinkly music under dialogue means “infomercial” or “home renovation show.”

But other than that, it is a good clear video that gives an excellent overview of biomechanics and riding, and answers some questions that sometimes confuse people, such as “what is hunter’s bump?” I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who was interested in these issues, but need to know more, and to coaches.

After thinking a bit more, I don’t care of the x-ray part as much. I mean, horses do not go in a collect frame looking like they are constipated, and the skeleton compresses and releases when in motion. Not really a great example. It gets the idea across a bit, but it’s not good science of motion for a horse.

[QUOTE=digihorse;8629052]
Hmmm… Art 2 Ride. That is Will Faber’s establishment down in San Diego. Ah yes. While the idea may be valid, the messenger leaves suspicion.[/QUOTE]

Have heard some “stuff” for lack of a better word about them also. I lived in SD for years. But that aside still thought the vid was good.

Now riding with these folks? Maybe a whole “nuther” story!

Digi - would you care to elaborate or is that a taboo topic :lol:

Will Faber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jYtsPHFxI

[QUOTE=ToN Farm;8629480]
Will Faber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jYtsPHFxI[/QUOTE]

aie, ToN Farm I snorted out my coffee when I saw that one :eek:

What’s with the lying down on the horse’s back?

Very interesting. I’m super methodical about building up the back because the two trainers I ride for a junior beat it into me. I spent most of my teenage years riding horse around in stretchy gaits. As an adult I’ve ridden a lot of boarding type barns and I see a lot of riders and horses who skip this and subsequently get stuck at 1st/ 2nd for 11 years. One thing I have noticed that I think contributes is the trend to get every saddle custom made. If your well fed dressage horse has hollows behind its shoulders- that is muscle atrophy, they shouldn’t be there. But people get a saddle with all kinds of gussets that fits super close to the existing, bad, conditions and then the poor horse never has a chance to regain the muscle. I find that if you take a horse who is having problems and fit it in a wider saddle (appropriately padded) and ride it as described in the video for 4-6 months, it will probably no longer have the hollows and will be much more able to work. Then it will immediately outgrow the saddle and you’ll need a new one that’s even wider and I think people just get fed up fitting them. Which is craziness but I see it all. the . time.

Of course posters are going to pick on this video. That’s the COTH way. For many of us this is old news but when you read all the “Looking for the right bit or saddle” posts. Or “why is my horse resisting so much” posts, I think it’s a good reminder or introduction to why so many horses have basic discomfort problems and thank the OP for sharing.

[QUOTE=snowrider;8629606]
Very interesting. I’m super methodical about building up the back because the two trainers I ride for a junior beat it into me. I spent most of my teenage years riding horse around in stretchy gaits. As an adult I’ve ridden a lot of boarding type barns and I see a lot of riders and horses who skip this and subsequently get stuck at 1st/ 2nd for 11 years. One thing I have noticed that I think contributes is the trend to get every saddle custom made. If your well fed dressage horse has hollows behind its shoulders- that is muscle atrophy, they shouldn’t be there. But people get a saddle with all kinds of gussets that fits super close to the existing, bad, conditions and then the poor horse never has a chance to regain the muscle. I find that if you take a horse who is having problems and fit it in a wider saddle (appropriately padded) and ride it as described in the video for 4-6 months, it will probably no longer have the hollows and will be much more able to work. Then it will immediately outgrow the saddle and you’ll need a new one that’s even wider and I think people just get fed up fitting them. Which is craziness but I see it all. the . time.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen this type of saddle fitting way too often.

[QUOTE=CFFarm;8629775]
Of course posters are going to pick on this video. That’s the COTH way. For many of us this is old news but when you read all the “Looking for the right bit or saddle” posts. Or “why is my horse resisting so much” posts, I think it’s a good reminder or introduction to why so many horses have basic discomfort problems and thank the OP for sharing.[/QUOTE] Good summary. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CFFarm;8629775]
Of course posters are going to pick on this video. That’s the COTH way. For many of us this is old news but when you read all the “Looking for the right bit or saddle” posts. Or “why is my horse resisting so much” posts, I think it’s a good reminder or introduction to why so many horses have basic discomfort problems and thank the OP for sharing.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree with you also! I like the original video in post #1 and will reference it in the future also.

I agree with whoever said that the OP’s video reeked of infomercial.

However,I will also agree that there is entirely too much emphasis placed on the position of the head and neck, when emphasis should be on Forward with rhythm, and allowing the horse to reach down and engage his back naturally. As he strengthens his head will come up in it’s own time.

I agree with whoever said that the OP’s video reeked of infomercial.

However,I will also agree that there is entirely too much emphasis placed on the position of the head and neck, when emphasis should be on Forward with rhythm, and allowing the horse to reach down and engage his back naturally. As he strengthens his head will come up in it’s own time.

merry, that is an ongoing argument I seem to have with a lot of people. They always go to the head and neck first. Front to back.

One thing they failed to mention, though, is that some horses are BORN with KSS.