Unlimited access >

New video may change the way you ride: "The Biomechanics of Proper Engagement"

^Yes that is absolutely true!!

[QUOTE=Velvet;8630114]
merry, that is an ongoing argument I seem to have with a lot of people. They always go to the head and neck first. Front to back.[/QUOTE]

You actually agree with me? :smiley:

It happens, sometimes. Well, once in a while. :lol:

[QUOTE=Velvet;8628564]
True, but did we really need that proof? I mean, the health of the horse makes good riding pretty obvious. I think the one thing that this helps to do is to disprove rollkur as useful way to train a horse and help it have a long career.[/QUOTE]

I know we say this all the time (like with the study on horses understanding human body language) but science needs evidence - it can’t be based off assumptions, even on things that seem obvious. Look at some of the theories about medicine etc that have been debunked over the centuries. Some of them seemed like perfect explanations at the time!

[QUOTE=Dressage59;8628571]
I really enjoyed it. You can send a video of your horse in to Art2Ride and they’ll critique it for a small fee. It’s helped me.[/QUOTE]

Yep, for a small fee. :wink:

LOL!

I agree with this as well. I would like to see x-rays of the horse ridden in all these different positions.

[QUOTE=ToN Farm;8629480]Will Faber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jYtsPHFxI[/QUOTE]

I’d really like to see an x-ray of the horse during this ride!

True, and some are born with a funky SI as well. I used to own one and the mom had the same “bump” as well as NO tail tone. It was weird. I’m sure I would’ve gotten the “blame” for that…

[QUOTE=merrygoround;8630106]I agree with whoever said that the OP’s video reeked of infomercial.

However,I will also agree that there is entirely too much emphasis placed on the position of the head and neck, when emphasis should be on Forward with rhythm, and allowing the horse to reach down and engage his back naturally. As he strengthens his head will come up in it’s own time.[/QUOTE]

Yes, too much focus on the front end for sure. I’m in the minority here when I saw I actually liked the overview of the horse’s anatomy in the beginning. Everyone knows that so it doesn’t need to be any more lengthy, but is a good reminder.

Would be interesting to see an X-ray of the back when the neck goes downward, that seems to be what they focus on most in their riding.

[QUOTE=Pipkin;8632937]
I know we say this all the time (like with the study on horses understanding human body language) but science needs evidence - it can’t be based off assumptions, even on things that seem obvious. Look at some of the theories about medicine etc that have been debunked over the centuries. Some of them seemed like perfect explanations at the time![/QUOTE] But that’s where the proof comes in with healthy, long-lived animals.

[QUOTE=Pipkin;8632937]
I know we say this all the time (like with the study on horses understanding human body language) but science needs evidence - it can’t be based off assumptions, even on things that seem obvious. Look at some of the theories about medicine etc that have been debunked over the centuries. Some of them seemed like perfect explanations at the time![/QUOTE]

I hate to tell you, but the history of science testifies that even the best science of an era-- with high quality evidence-- sometimes get debunked later. Science is not immune from revision its cultural context.

[QUOTE=Color of Light;8628593]
"Both riders and trainers are lacking in ability to recognize lameness, and to recognize behavioral signs that indicate an underlying pain related behavior problem.

Those people really need education to improve recognition of pain and behavioral changes related to pain."

This is so true! We see this time and time again. A friend has been complaining about her horse, his “issues”, tension, and how she’s wanting to sell him because “it’s all in his head”, his bloodlines. Sounded like pain to me. She complained about the bad scores her horse got with her trainer riding, how tense her horse was. I asked about his feet and saddle, and explained that if either or both were wrong, could be head to toe pain.

Turns out he was dragging a hind foot. I suggested she look at the balance of the hoof, irregularities in the trim. I said that if hoof imbalanced, expect sore rear end muscles as result. The farrier she’d been using for last two years had been trimming one foot totally wrong. How did her trainer and previous trainers not see any of this? How did she not see it while cleaning his hooves?

On to his saddle…she then told me that his saddle isn’t fitting well, is now too small, palp’d his back and it was sore (before the show). Again, how did the trainer not notice this? If the owner knew the saddle didn’t fit and back was sore, why keep riding with it, and why even consider showing the horse? Poor guy. I’d love to see video of how the horse is being ridden.

Not the first time I’ve heard this story where people don’t look at the obvious, but blame the horse.[/QUOTE]

I’m a beginner. Unfortunately, I ran into a lot of issues with the trainer not knowing/observing things about my horse, such as saddle twisting (pretty obvious at end of lesson and probably uncomfortable for the horse). She kept blaming it on the horse. I finally stopped lessons.