Unlimited access >

No Preakness for Rich Strike

As I posted when I put up that link, I said “consider the source.” Have you read the article before dismissing it (and my own ability to think and read critically, apparently) out of hand? As I said, I am interested in data and science, and reading for articles that contain that, not just supposition. Perhaps if you had a read of the article (did you?) before making comments, and perhaps if you had paid attention to what I had written (consider the source) before making your post, then a more productive discussion on here could progress.

1 Like

Again, did you read the article? Northern Dancer has Native Dancer in his pedigree, grandsire on the dam’s side. And IF you read the article, you will see comments about whether particular lines lead to unsoundness, and whether too much inbreeding of anything leads to unsoundness and track breakdowns. Perhaps read the article and come back with something to say about it then? As I said-- the correlation of certain breeding and certain high profile breakdowns does not convince me of the causation of breeding to breakdown. Have you anything to say on that point?

1 Like

what is different about breeding thoroughbreds today and in modern times vs. 35+ years ago?

She doesn’t know. Which is fine. It’s ok not to know. We all have to learn somewhere.

@Maythehorsebewithme and @EventerAJ already said the two biggest differences in my opinion: a shift in breeding goals to a priority on commercial sales and vastly different stallion management practices in modern times.

Northern Dancer is a legend. The greatest stallion of all time in my opinion (others will disagree). But the conversation was about Rich Strike’s value as a stallion if he retired now. Northern Dancer’s success tells us nothing about Rich Strike’s chances at stud because the breeding and racing landscape is incredibly different today.

5 Likes

Whats changed? Increasing preference for precocious yearlings aimed prestige sales? Lack of opportunity and purse money for distance runners compared to 40 years ago? The sheiks? Heard and/or read all of these theories and more. Suspect its a combination of all these plus the ever increasing cost to get one the 3 years from conception to even the most modest ROI as a 2 year old.

Unpopular opinion here but not sure all the multi and micro ownership schemes out there are completely positive for the sport overall. One certainty is times change and you cant return to decades ago.

2 Likes

Native Dancer was born 70 years ago. It’s pretty much impossible to make him relevant to this discussion.

8 Likes

You are so right that we can’t turn back time.

Racing has been on a downward slide since it hit its pinnacle in the 80s. I agree with all of this, but I also know most of it is a byproduct of the band-aid effect. Changes have happened to try to hold the industry together.

I believe where critics miss the mark is understanding why these things have happened.

Like, everyone agrees that breeding for nothing but precocious yearlings for the sales is not ideal for the breed. There is no one going “wow, this has been such a wonderful improvement on the past!” Everyone can see the trade offs. But where people, especially outsiders, make mistakes is understanding the reason that shift has occurred.

People are quick to blame it on greed, and sure, greed is there. But the main reasons are due to ecomonimc forces and a shift in demand. I’m using “economic forces” as a catch all term because we could list a thousand changes in the financials of horse ownership from the cost of land/supplies to tax laws and everything in between. But because of the changing economic forces, buyers demand for anything but precocious yearlings and fast 2 year olds has vanished. Unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to lose money hand over fist on your breeding endeavors, breeders are forced to breed what people want.

3 Likes

On thing that is very different today is how extraordinarily international TB racing has become. North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand are joined by Japan, the Arab states, money coming in from Hong Kong and China, Eastern Europe opening up historically significant racing industries. There is a substantial demand for a variety of types of stallions. But the big names are now internationally big names.

Being deliberately obtuse is not additive.

And several of those countries are thrilled to stand a Kentucky Derby winner, regardless of pedigree, regardless of race record. Rich Strike doesn’t have the same level of competiton for mares overseas.

The good news is, as mentioned up thread, his people seem more interested in enjoying the horse than rushing to sell him.

So hopefully he hangs around and wins a few more major races before retirement, giving him plenty of opportunities to stay stateside.

1 Like

I believe in the interview either after the race or the next day, the trainer mentioned something about hoping the horse would stick around and race for another year or two. I don’t know if that will actually happen, but I think that’s what he said.

2 Likes

Northern Dancer was out of a Native Dancer mare.

“Additive”? What do you mean?
I do know what “deliberately obtuse” means but I don’t know why you said what you said. Do you think I was being “deliberately obtuse”? Why do you think that? Did you expect me to be an expert on TB breeding?
You are quick to judge, which means you are slow to understand, people. In other words, you are being deliberately obtuse.
Hahahahaha

I disagree.

I hate the way someone starts a thread on one specific topic, in this case, “No Preakness for Rich Strike,” and before you know it people are arguing about other horses’ careers at stud and bloodlines, and picking on each other and being generally bitchy, which is traditional here on COTH.

I only come here to read and post about horses. But there is so much hate and judgement on this board that I feel sorry for the members.

4 Likes

Qfp

Qfp.

You just came after me and now you want to play the victim card?

2 Likes

I’m sorry but that’s completely untrue as relates to the board. You spend a substantial amount of time in the current event section, off course etc. And those areas do not focus on horses.

4 Likes

Please do read what I wrote. The discussion was about inbreeding. That is certainly relevant to a discussion regarding Rich Strike, given the close line breeding in his pedigree. It feels to me like you are just posting things to be provacative and try to get into an argument with me. Why, I have no idea. Consider yourself on “ignore” from now on.

1 Like

You’re kidding, right? Laurie is the most accomplished thoroughbred breeder on this forum. She is in no way trying to be provocative. She is speaking from experience. Choosing to ignore the experts because they don’t agree with what you shared is brazen.

8 Likes