Unlimited access >

No Preakness for Rich Strike

I would rather hope that you would consider what I have written instead of encourage responses such as the one made to me. No, I am not “kidding.” Whatever someone may or may not know, or whatever regard they may or not be held in by other members of a forum, does not alter basic fundamental rules of the road in posting, in my view. As the old saying goes, “your mileage may vary.” As I said, consider the source of the article that I posted when reading it. I assume people posting here are capable of critical thought and are able to discern for themselves the value in or of information.

I also consider it a basic fundamental rule of the road–but fully appreciate that others may not-- that someone might READ a source before commenting upon it. I mean, how DO you comment on something you haven’t read?

As it stands, in not reading the source, then, for instance, comparisons made between breeding practices of the US and the UK are not seen. Nor of the predominance of a few breeding operations in the UK breeding for a particular racing market. And so on.

Is it possible that the article says things that are less than flattering about racing operations in both countries? Yes. Does it for instance discuss race breakdowns? Yes, it does. Does it discuss the fact many ex-racehorses (and those bred for but who never made it to the track) end up in the slaughterhouse pipeline? Yes, it does. Does it raise some concerns in context of close line breeding? Yes, it does. Now, if the sources, facts and figures that the article uses are in fact ones to be challenged, then, that could be done. THAT could lead to an interesting conversation.

But when discussion of a subject turns to a focus on posters and is made personal, rather than an actual discussion of information in an objective manner–well then perhaps all value of the discussion is lost.

Are you suggesting that I should get approval from some posters before I post a particular source? That this needs pre-approval before being put on the board? Or that my own view and reading of these should not be posted unless pre-approved for holding the correct view? This of course would be absurd.

All I did was post 2 sources that can be looked at in the discussion of close line breeding, which is much of the conversation about the supposition of Rich Strike at stud. If someone disagrees with the information in either source, then please, have a discussion about that. It could be informative and interesting. But to reject a source out of hand without even reading it-- well-- it makes a progresive and informed discussion difficult if not impossible. In my view anyway.

I prefer a discussion about information and data, not a discussion focused on forum personalities.

3 Likes

I have no idea why you decided that I commented on the article without reading it. I read it. It didn’t break any new ground. Instead, it aired the usual complaint–if there’s a common ancestor it must be the cause of all a current day horse’s problems–followed by some rebuttals.

I thought it was interesting that a horse who won 21 of 22 starts at 2 and 3 is considered to be unsound.

If an article is going to complain about inbreeding, it should show inbreeding–not reference four horses that broke down, three of which apparently had ONE instance of Native Dancer in their pedigrees. Fun Fact: that’s not inbreeding.

Truly, my previous comment was the kindest thing I could have said about the article.

14 Likes

Back to the regularly scheduled topic. The more I think about it, the smarter I think Rich strike’s connections are. I know you never know what is going to happen until you actually run the race but realistically his running style makes it insanely unlikely he hits the board. In fact if you run the Derby 100 more times I doubt he hits the board any of those either. So they skip the Preakness and are the heroes the sport has been looking for by not only representing the hopes and dreams of every small time horse owner in the game but also the people who tune into racing once a year. And now they are foregoing the money and putting the horse first in the public’s mind.

10 Likes

What’s next? PETA’s take? Horse racing wrongs? Why stop the propaganda train at 2006?

1 Like

That article was written by someone with an agenda, who had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. There is no hard data behind it.

There is so much wrong with that propaganda (apparently written in 2006) that I can’t even begin to address each completely ignorant statement contained therein, so it is unhelpful in this discussion, to say the least.

There is no data or science in that article, only cherry picking and guesswork stated as fact, which shows the ignorance of the author.

2 Likes

I read it and thought bits were accurate, bits were wildly off and, as a whole, it didn’t offer a well informed, balanced overview. But, rather than completely dismissing it, racing supporters should look and learn, consider a bit, because much of what we take for granted and understand is strange and unforgivable to outsiders. We do need to promote racing as a wholesome sport and that is hard when horses are killed, trainers are caught doping and gambling has such a bad reputation.

1 Like

After watching how strong Rich Strike finished in the Derby, I think skipping the Preakness was the best decision. I don’t think they are trying to be heroes.
There have been many spoilers in the Belmont that didn’t run the other Triple Crown races. There will be nothing to spoil in the Belmont as far as the Triple Crown. But there is something to prove. I do not think the Derby was a fluke. Rich Strike ran a hell of a Derby race. I think he can win the Belmont. And I hope he does.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree with this part more. We can do a better job of promoting understanding. But I also understand the frustration of most racetrackers from being constantly vilified by the ignorant. It beats you down.

3 Likes

Speaking of Rich Strike’s career, I’m wondering if there is a chance they might choose to race him and geld him. I know that is unusual; has it ever happened? I thought his bitey behavior did not look rank, but more like juvenile playful naughtiness and bad manners that need to be addressed before becoming a bigger problem. If they can’t get his biting under control, the only options I can think of are to retire him to stud or to geld him and continue racing.

How much will his behavior affect his breeding career? I haven’t heard any talk about him biting or attacking people.

Has this article been posted? It’s a lovely interview of trainer Eric Reed. He does make the comment, (my bold) “So, in the best interest of Richie and his career, which I hope is a long career with lots of races involved, the Preakness didn’t line up for him.”

1 Like

Has he ever done anything else similar? I would think it would be unlikely they would do anything like that over a one time incident. I did not see any of the pre-race activities. Did he show any inclination to do anything to the pony before the race?

I did not see him make any attempt to do anything during the actual race, even in some very close quarters as he navigated through traffic.

If it was just a one off thing due to a set of extraordinary circumstances, I can’t imagine they would want to lose the chance of potential future income from a lifetime in the breeding shed.

1 Like

Zero chance.

Do people geld colts? Absolutely! But not ones who win G1 races. It would take something extreme for it to happen. Having a G1 win, especially a 3 year old classic race, makes a horse just too valuable for breeding.

Eric Reed spoke thoroughly about his take on the behavior. No, the horse doesn’t have a pattern for doing this. Reed describes him as a well mannered horse. He thinks Rich Strike thought the outrider was another competitor in the race to get by.

There is no reason to believe that behavior will show up while breeding at this time.

4 Likes

He looked well-behaved and manageable walking back to the barn after the race. I have also seen some footage of him walking/standing by the barn in the days after the Derby and he looked fine then too. Based on this and what his trainer said, I would guess it was an isolated incident brought on by the excitement and adrenalin of the race.

2 Likes

Ok, I just came across this post on Facebook. It includes video of Rich Strike with the 1970 Derby winning jockey on him for a minute. If this horse has any kind of an attitude problem, he was not showing it here!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

https://m.facebook.com/robyn.cosio/posts/pcb.10228670580615285/?photo_id=689484799011299&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.10228670580615285%26photo%3D689484799011299%26profileid%3D657602789%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26_ft_%3Dmf_story_key.10228670580615285%3Atop_level_post_id.10228670580615285%3Atl_objid.10228670580615285%3Acontent_owner_id_new.1408885396%3Athrowback_story_fbid.10228670580615285%3Aphoto_attachments_list.[10228670578775239%2C10228670579015245%2C689484799011299]%3Astory_location.4%3Astory_attachment_style.album%3Aent_attachement_type.PhotoSetAttachment%3Aapp_id.6628568379%3Aprofile_id.1408885396%3Aprofile_relationship_type.4%3Aactrs.1408885396%3Athid.1408885396%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1654066799%3A-3001404707762011092%3A%3A%3Aftmd_400706.111111l%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

7 Likes