Non-physical disabilities

Big Red Beast,

As someone who rides with bipolar, I’m always examining my choices. I 'm going to suggest that you get evaluated by a professional (if you aren’t already). These “slightly aggressive” choices can lead to some really crappy outcomes. If you’d like to know some of mine, feel free to PM me. I was never classically manic as in up for five days, directing traffic naked or hallucinating but you don’t need all that to get hurt or hurt someone else.

Tweak meds, whatever you have to do. It sucks but it’s better than the alternative.

I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing!

I’ RIDING AGAIN and it’s amazing. consistent riding. and nourishing my body at the same time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Thanks for the update! And glad things are going well.

My update: Im pretty sure I need to be medicated now for the anxiety/ocd because they are really starting to not be very helpful and I find myself either very up or down…not fun

[QUOTE=Teddy;4701303]
My update: Im pretty sure I need to be medicated now for the anxiety/ocd because they are really starting to not be very helpful and I find myself either very up or down…not fun[/QUOTE]

It’s not the end of the world. Just make sure you have a psychiatrist you trust. You don’t have to connect with him or her just trust their judgment.

I hope you get good help! If you have any questions, please PM me.

I suffer from depression and social aniexty.

This winter has been very tough on me with the bad weather that has been in the mid-atlantic. I didn’t see my horse for 3 or 4 days. This weekend I made myself go see him and ride him. I felt so much better after spending time with him. Even if I just go brush him and give him some cookies it helps.

My social aniexty is 10x better than it used to be. I still get really odd around people I don’t know but my melting time has gotten better.

I have been forcing myself to exercise this winter. This week…I actually put on makeup to come to work. That was a effort for me.

It’s good to know your limits, AQHL. It’s tough to deal with them (and that you know you have to respect them!) but really good to know them.

I’m glad your horses are helping you feel better :slight_smile:

Help with ADHD

I am so happy to find this thread. I mean it sucks that people have to deal with this stuff but at least we aren’t alone.

I was recently diagnosed as ADHD (who does that ever explain a lot !), I’ve been dealing with anxiety and depression most of my life and I also have a sleep disorder.

My question is how do those of you with similar issues stay motivated and focused long enough to actually accomplish anything? I’ve always struggled with this and its most frustrating to me in regards to my horses. I have various goals and things I want to get done but it seems like I always get sidetracked, overwhelmed, bored or anxious. Then sometimes I get so enthusiastic about something (for instance I’ll decide I want to switch my horses vitamin supplement, or set some training goal) and I will put so much time and energy into researching and pondering all the options that I am completely useless for anything else. Then I feel guilty for not getting more done or letting myself get so wrapped up knowing that I will move on to something else shortly. Has anyone found a good way to manage symptoms like these ?

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I’ve found it helpful to give myself permission NOT to ride if I’m really not feeling it. This can, unfortunately, morph into a string of days where I just keep putting off riding, but when I do get back on, I feel much more refreshed and positive about it. Let’s face it: riding, no matter how wonderful, can sometimes be just one more “thing I have to do.” And if I give myself permission to back off, I don’t beat myself up about it. I know that my horses are fine, taken care of, and aren’t being harmed by a few days off.

FWIW, I suffer from moderate anxiety and depression/dysthymia.

[QUOTE=red squirrel ridge;4703403]
I am so happy to find this thread. I mean it sucks that people have to deal with this stuff but at least we aren’t alone.

I was recently diagnosed as ADHD (who does that ever explain a lot !), I’ve been dealing with anxiety and depression most of my life and I also have a sleep disorder.

My question is how do those of you with similar issues stay motivated and focused long enough to actually accomplish anything? I’ve always struggled with this and its most frustrating to me in regards to my horses. I have various goals and things I want to get done but it seems like I always get sidetracked, overwhelmed, bored or anxious. Then sometimes I get so enthusiastic about something (for instance I’ll decide I want to switch my horses vitamin supplement, or set some training goal) and I will put so much time and energy into researching and pondering all the options that I am completely useless for anything else. Then I feel guilty for not getting more done or letting myself get so wrapped up knowing that I will move on to something else shortly. Has anyone found a good way to manage symptoms like these ?[/QUOTE]

I also have ADHD-I as well as depression, and I can totally relate to what you wrote! Sometimes it’s like my brain just goes into auto-shutdown as soon as it decides that a goal is going to take too much ongoing work. Or, like you said, I put so much work into one aspect of a project that I fizzle out before actually finishing it.

Wish I could say I’ve figured out a way to manage this. Sadly, what usually happens is that I just end up frustrated by myself. It doesn’t help that people who are unfamiliar with ADHD (especially the inattentive/not primarily hyperactive type) often make the judgement call that we are just lazy and need to try harder, because it’s one more thing for me to beat myself up over. It’s no wonder depression is a common co-morbid condition among those with ADHD. . .:frowning:

THanks classaction!

Thanks cllane1 and Jolly Badger for the replies,
I am thankful that both of my equines (pony and donkey) are young and therefore have short attention spans and can handle having “growing up time” without a lot of formal schooling. I am also trying to keep working on ground manners etc. when I don’t feel like proper schooling. Like when I do chores I try to do some quick stuff like asking them to wait for me to fill feeders before digging in, moving away from pressure- backing, side passing etc. and of course lot of pets and scratches. As they are young the 30 sec. “training sessions” seem ok, they end up wanting more attention then getting fried. Also I think visiting the COTH forums is a huge motivator. I am really looking forward to spring so I can really start working with them again. I live in a very rural mostly non-horsey area and keep my “kids” at home so its not like I have a lot of barn buddies to hang with, so its nice to talk with horsey humans once in a while:yes:

[QUOTE=Invite;4461976]
This is a little off the subject of horses, but it has a lot to do with disabilities. Ever since Tom Cruise made those awful remarks when Brooke Shields was going through post partum depression, I have refused to go to, rent, or watch any of his movies. I will not spend a dime of my money on anything that will put money in his pocket. He is a great example of how ignorant people can be when it comes to physical and non physical disabilities.

We would all love to be “normal” riders. We would all love to participate in our sport without a disability hindering us. The fact is there will always be disabled people out there, be that disability physical or otherwise. COTH is helping us pave the way for future disabled riders by giving us this forum to work through out difficulties.

My thoughts of the evening are 2 thumbs up for COTH and the disabled riders brave enough to put themselves out there and 2 thumbs down to close minded people like Tom Cruise!!![/QUOTE]

Major ditto :yes::yes::yes:

keep this going !

[QUOTE=Barn Baby;4892905]
Major ditto :yes::yes::yes:[/QUOTE]
could have not said it better need more people like you and your comments;)

Scientologists are very anti-therapist, anti-medication and very much in denial about depression and mental illness in particular.
I’ve found several other more mainstream religions also believe it is possible to pray it away or will recommend volunteering to get out of your own problems. The ignorance and stigma surrounding depression and bipolar disorders is stuck in the 1880s. I would not tell a soul

i like this site and i hope it don’t stop but there is one thing almost everybody has horses i don’t and have a lot of medical problems so look on that side not being defendsive, your horse, you ,your barn ,i would like to be in your position but it is over for me i have to have someone watching me hopefully i will make it if i fall if not i will die you can ride by yourself here is a honest statement i always hated saddles i could get on a horse and never worry about what he was going to do i did not care because i knew the best thing is to fall before he could do anything to me and i am still alive and GET RIGHT BACK ON HIM i have medical problems because of human genes and you want to be a horse rider again good luck with that one

[QUOTE=red squirrel ridge;4703403]

Has anyone found a good way to manage symptoms like these ?[/QUOTE]

I would speak to the professional who made the diagnosis about treatments and referrals. A combination of medication (to provide more immediate relief from whatever symptoms you are dealing with) and therapy (to address the patterns of behavior in your life that you want to change).

Finding a good therapist who provides the type of treatment that is effective in working with whatever diagnosis a person has is a particularly important component of managing any disorder. Lots of people think that all “talk therapies” are basically the same, which is not true and leads to folks investing lots of time and money in something that is not helpful to them. For example, Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) has been shown to more effectively address the types of issues you discussed in your post than psychodynamic therapy.