“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Oh boo hiss. That sucks big time.
And so weird that you went from - they do not have your DNA sample to - Your horse is not a TB - over night.

8 Likes

It’s just unfortunate. I still believe somebody intentionally and thoughtfully produced this very nice filly and now we’ll never know her background.

42 Likes

Figuring in mailing time it was probably a few days to a week from writing and mailing the letter to 2bayboys getting the letter.

1 Like

I was really hoping they would at least match her parents, even if she couldn’t be registered.

1 Like

Even with that it is weird. They told her that the lab did not have her DNA samples, but now they have results, just like that.

1 Like

Or just go and dig through their mail pile to find the kit.

1 Like

It’s been found. No match :disappointed:

4 Likes

I see that now.
I was wrong to assume they not only checked against foal DNA, but parents as well to see if any unregistered foal without DNA on file had a match to a parent that was registered and did have DNA on file…

Can we send this to Dr Gates at Finding your Roots? His team can find anything!

5 Likes

What about AQHA? Do they do DNA matches? She could be an appendix.

10 Likes

:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

It’s a mega bummer they didn’t have a better answer! Since that avenue wasn’t fruitful, do you think it might be worth trying AQHA? She obviously has some/a ton of TB, but if someone was shooting for an Appendix she might have a QH parent that could show up.

6 Likes

I was typing the exact same thing, lol

Interesting thought! I’ll look into it!

7 Likes

These days Appendixes (Appendices?) are basically TBs who saw a cow horse from across the room, lol. That would be my bet if she’s truly not a verifiable full on TB.

21 Likes

Very sad face.

Although now we can just continue to imagine that she is descended from the very best lines and landed in your barn through some random twist of fate. Luckily for her! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Much sadness. But try the AQHA, too, as people have suggested. Maybe we should put an advert in the papers where she came from…

2 Likes

Well that is disappointing :disappointed:

Updating my currently at the Jockey Club photo.

18 Likes

That seems like a convenient cover your ass response.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, AQHA isn’t super helpful with DNA.
They rarely do blind runs anymore and mostly require you to have some sort of evidence this horse came from XYZ. It’s a cluster.

Can you do a Davis DNA kit and then go from there?
I know they aren’t 100% accurate, but it could get somewhere faster than dealing with some of these breed associations!

4 Likes

Maybe we can all chip in and get an Elaton DNA test for nosey. It will at least show if there are any 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree relatives in their database.

8 Likes