“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

perhaps has to do with your local system. I live in a community of 250 apartments and have consistent service and am pleased with the results

1 Like

That’s interesting. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

I’ve forgotten by this time. Did the DNA test for the Jockey Club require anything other than hair?

1 Like

Just hair. And photos of the horse from all sides.

2 Likes

I think she’s a TB, just an unregistered one.

8 Likes

I know that is disappointing but it makes sense. If the breeder, or whoever ended up with the horses, did not or could not feed them properly, then I am sure they would not pony up the money to get them registered. And maybe the stud fees were not paid so they did not want to put that much money into the foals. Probably why they ended up at a Texas auction - no papers so they could not sell through regular thoroughbred sales venues or could not have a dispersal sale. If you could only figure out where/who they came from…

7 Likes

Well darn. I was hoping we’d at least find one parent.

2 Likes

We may not ever know who she is but never mind, let’s enjoy some baby zoomies and auntie harassment from this evening. :heart:

And by the way, I just noticed how much she’s grown. The chestnut mare is 16 hands for reference.

IMG_3170

56 Likes

There’s a good chance the farm may have been breeding but not registering anything for some time, then just dumped them all.

I also like the idea of an Etalon DNA test. I’d be willing to chip in a dribble.

The ancestry is $179, $329 if you include the ProPanel.

5 Likes

I’m in for a dribble. IMO, there’s no way that filly isn’t 100% TB. I’ve known a variety of Appendix QHs, with a variety of phenotypes, but none of the looked like Nosey.

7 Likes

OK but! Nothing wrong with a beautiful TB cross, or any-breed cross. :grin:

Texas A&M University offers a breed identification service. It isn’t a full genetic profile, just an analysis of breeds in their database that algorithmically match the sample.

They explain that although they use the word ‘ancestry’, they are not offering a true pedigree-style tree of breeds in the horse, showing parents, grandparents, etc. Just a look at breeds popping in the analysis.

we selected 50 breeds that are most common in North America and also represent the major horse groups: draft horses; ponies; Oriental and Arabian breeds; Old World and New world Iberian breeds

2 Likes

Well but for an out-of-town visitor, could we break out the juleps on the porch, mid-afternoon?

I mean work is pretty much over by 2 or 2:30 pm, right? :grin:

2 Likes

Vroom!!

I love how the other two just ignore her shenanigans and continue to eat grass as she does laps around them. Lol.

9 Likes

My guess is an unregistered TB. She came to the auction in a bulk shipment from Ky, it’s not unusual for failing breeding farms to fail to keep decent records, file paperwork and pay fees. Heirs of deceased breeders are often clueless, probate can be lengthy. It’s not uncommon to find many things missing if you buy out of a liquidation for any reason.

In this case, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck and you have proof it came out of the duck pond? It’s not a zebra.

22 Likes

Off the wall idea

Would the auction house forward a letter from you to the consignor? Maybe offer a fee to do so, and a self addressed stamped return envelope.

Will the auction not give out consignors info? We got a horse years ago from an auction. He came out of Montana, so we were given a copy of health certificate and coggins. I wrote owner, and he called me. Got tons more - and more accurate - info on him. As well as the story behind his name.

Biggest discrepancy - auction house “he was ridden on a ranch for the past year”. Reality - he WAS ridden on a ranch the past year. About 10 whole rides, over the previous year. Many of them dumping his teenage rider. He was good for us though.

10 Likes

Tried that with Bowie (another horse, another buyer). Sent them the date of the sale, hip number and everything. No response.

But no harm in trying! :grin:

I think Bowie promises consignors a sort of ‘closed adoption’ style scenario. Drop your horse here, it goes away and never bothers you again. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

1 Like

Darn

Alot of times the person signing the consignment form at an open auction is a middle man kind of dealer who buys liquidation/dispersal horses, often from a dispersal then hauls them to the auction, they only own them for a few weeks at most and don’t have any information and never met the breeder or deceased owner.

These consigner agents handle numerous bulk loads, theres nothing nefarious. They don’t know.

2 Likes

It couldn’t hurt to ask. At worst, it would be the waste of a stamp or a phone call.

3 Likes

Unless the TAMU test has improved considerably, it isn’t particularly helpful.

5 Likes

Agreed.

It is hard for the horse’s future owners to not be able to connect with the horse’s past. It’s kind of weird, really, this complete break that looses a horse’s past life and history. The buyer doesn’t even have an accurate age, until they can have a vet or someone knowledgeable estimate as close as they can by the teeth and other condition factors. Doesn’t know the health history, farrier history … the horse comes to the new owner with a lot of unknowns from the past.

But I guess this scenario is not uncommon with horses. Even on a direct purchase, the previous owner may not know much about what went on with a horse before they owned it. And as mentioned by another poster, dealers often don’t have the history.

2 Likes