“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Info on Bigg Limo’s breeder:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/239903/racing-industry-leader-r-d-hubbard-dies-at-84#:~:text=R.D.%20Hubbard%20was%20a%20successful%20owner%2Fbreeder%20and%20influential%20racetrack%20owner.&text=R.D.%20"Dee"%20Hubbard%20brought%20energy,at%20the%20age%20of%2084.

This line in the obit jumped out: ““He liked action,” said Tom Goncharoff, who began working for Hubbard about 35 years ago as the farm manager of Crystal Springs in Kentucky.” which it seems that farm was sold and split up with some of the buyers thinking they would raise horses.

Seems like a lot changed for all these folks in the last few years…

3 Likes

I went down a wormhole and have been looking up Kentucky breeder obits from that time period.

I still think she’s TB. I think it’s likely she was part of a breeding program that skid off the rails due to finances, illness, whatever…and then someone dumped the lot of them. It happens all too often.

10 Likes

Bloodhorse has a dispersal sale of the remaining horses in the holdings of Hubbard, in 2020. Which of course these could be totally unrelated to Nosey but it’s hard not to hazard guesses. Maybe the Bigg Limo owners picked up some broodmares from that sale, etc.

ETA in case anyone wants to see my current rabbit hole: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/242447/thoroughbredauctions-com-conducts-hubbard-dispersal

I’ll stop with the firehose of random info but nearly everything I see on all of these folks has ties to NM, all their horses and trainers, etc.

3 Likes

I would bet a ham sammich that this Riddle horse, Aisle Runner, is somewhere up close in Nosey’s pedigree:

29 Likes

Quite a few of the Hubbard dispersal horses were in foal IIRC. It could be plausible that someone snapped up a bunch cheaply, shipped them to KY, but ran out of $ or whatever and they all just languished in a field until someone shipped them off to Bowie.

That would make her 3 if she was from one of those matings. Or, there could have been mares and colts running loose together and she’s from a later, possibly unplanned mating.

But wow, it would be crazy if COTHers nailed it on the first guess. :rofl:

I watched the Hubbard sale in the lead up and followed the results. I think there was even a thread on it here. I think I recall the sales prices being pretty high.

3 Likes

I wonder if he has remarkably good manners to stand still for his portrait like that, or if they Photoshopped out the lead shank. Lol.

1 Like

His dam did end up in KY (by way of IN), but she sold for $80k and has since had two colts. She had no foal for 2023, but she was with such a reputable and active breeder I can’t imagine she could be involved.

The mare had a daughter also sold in the same sale who sold for $16k. She was in foal to Attila’s Storm, too, but any foal from that mating was never reported. But, the mare had a registered colt in CA in 2023.

5 Likes

Alrighty. A fabulous COTH sleuth found the trainer’s profile on Facebook and sent me the link. I’ve sent the trainer a message and hopefully she has some connection to Nosey and will answer. Fingers crossed.

38 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

Good thought, but I’m sorry to say that I don’t know him. I wish I could help. :frowning:

2 Likes

excited

16 Likes

OMG! I drift into CE for a few days, and I come back to find that New Mexico TB breeders – the only ones I know – may be at the center of this fabulous mystery.

We’re going to need a podcast soon.

9 Likes

We can call it “Being Nosey” :joy:

30 Likes

I’ve been following this thread from the beginning and I must say that it has been years since I’ve checked this board daily, but you and Nosey inspired me. The before and after photos are amazing and I am so happy for you both.

I am HERE for the Being Nosey podcast!!!

One thing that I want to add: I hope that you notify the food manufacturer about the cough. I would hope that they would want to correct this as I’m sure you aren’t the only owner dealing with the issue.

5 Likes

Ok, now that we don’t need to picket the DNA lab, do we need to bombard the person in New Mexico with PMs until they respond? :thinking:

3 Likes

Uh, probably not. It might end up being the subject of an entire podcast episode. :astonished: :laughing:

3 Likes

If so, she’ll have my favorite US combination – Blushing Groom and Mr Prospector, click here – popular New Mexico lines, too. Of course, my darling doofus of a NM TB has this DNA, too.

1 Like

I’m fine with that, and shopping for decent microphones as we speak. :microphone::studio_microphone::radio::headphones::horse_racing:

1 Like

It’s been 10 days since a Nosey update….

5 Likes