Unlimited access >

Now that he's retired..

[QUOTE=Where’sMyWhite;8384642]
I’d agree with full book 2016 and likely 2017. Entire career, he’s gotta produce or it won’t be full (or he’s priced commiserate with an “average” TB stallion). I think Silver Charm is who I’m thinking of… just didn’t throw near his level of performance.[/QUOTE]

Silver Charm didn’t win the Triple Crown. Neither did FuPeg or Smarty Jones or any other of the Derby winners who fizzled out in the shed.

Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed would be better comparisons-- all of whom had “full” books for their eras until they could no longer breed. And while all three were good sires, none of them truly lit the world on fire. Had they not been Triple Crown winners, they likely would not have seen quite the number and quality of mares. The Secretariat and Affirmed sire lines have all but disappeared; Seattle Slew’s is only preserved through AP Indy.

Today’s market is more fickle and more sales driven than the market of the 70s and 80s, but American Pharoah would have to be a colossal flop to lose interest from breeders.

[QUOTE=Lord Helpus;8384685]
If the Moss’s were breeding to sell, they might go to a hot sire just for the sake of the name. A PoTN – Zenyatta would sell for multi millions (if it was good looking). But Z has hardly been a resounding success as a broodmare, so (IMO, of course) the Mosses will probably stick to established stallions to have the best chance of getting a good runner.

I certainly have been wrong before though :slight_smile: .[/QUOTE]

I looked…it would be a nice clean cross with decent names on both sides, but honestly my concern would be Zenyatta as so far, she has two foals of racing age, one yet to start and one who has shown precisely zero aptitude in two starts. As in if he weren’t a homebred unlikely to be sold the smart thing would be drop him into a high-price-tag maiden claimer or move him to a cheaper track as he’s out of his depth so far in MSW. Admittedly it’s the weakest stallion they’ve bred her to so far (given the relative flop her half-sister by Bernardini was Coz was probably doomed from the get-go) and the coming-three-year-old is a Tapit, who’s hot right now.

As far as “reproducing himself” I’m sure AP won’t as none of the TC winners have, except arguably Gallant Fox with Omaha (and Omaha was not exactly running against stiff competition and big fields.) War Admiral is one of the most important names in female families, Secretariat and Seattle Slew produced excellent if not pantheon-of-greats offspring and Secretariat’s greatest contribution is probably ultimately as the broodmare sire of A.P. Indy and Storm Cat, while A.P. Indy is also probably going to be Slew’s biggest lasting contribution to the breed. But as far as producing their own equals in runners? I wouldn’t hold AP to that standard because none of the others have met it, either.

Never knew that you could turn out 2 stallions together?? or are they going to be in paddocks side by side?

[QUOTE=Andrew;8384837]
Never knew that you could turn out 2 stallions together?? or are they going to be in paddocks side by side?[/QUOTE]

I’m betting side by side. I’d be REALLY surprised if it were together.

I know the breeding rights were sold, but what exactly does that mean? Do the Zayats own him at all now that is racing career is over?

[QUOTE=poltroon;8383664]
Whatever happens in terms of the racing success of his babies, with that amazing stride and nice temperament, I’m thinking we’re going to have some very very nice OTTBs for sport horses from the ones that don’t work out at the track. :)[/QUOTE]

Here here! :smiley:

I don’t suppose there’s a chance of Ashford hosting any kind of a fan event. I know they tend to be pretty closed to the public.

[QUOTE=snaffle1987;8384681]
what is the process of being let down at a stud farm like this? I’m assuming he will not be ridden?[/QUOTE]

Have the same question. Other than turn out, what kind of exercise will AP have…and other than breeding mares.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8384845]
I’m betting side by side. I’d be REALLY surprised if it were together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can’t imagine them turning AP out with anything other than a very, very mild-mannered gelding, and there’s about a 99.9999% chance he’ll always be turned out alone.

[QUOTE=MonterStables;8383568]
I’ll make this question to the point (I’m really curious to discuss this since I havent seen it discussed much), but what does everyone think about American Pharoah’s chances for being a good breeding stallion given his pedigree, etc…

We all know he’s got the brains and running ability but everybody knows that sometimes stallions dont quite live up to expectations given whatever circumstance.[/QUOTE]
Well, at the very least I’m betting he’ll make a good broodmare sire. Seems to skip a generation often (X-factor.)

[QUOTE=Maythehorsebewithme;8383677]
Do they still breed the prospective stallion to “test” mares? I seem to vaguely remember Secretariat being bred to an appaloosa, and producing a very nice colt. Would be great to have Pharoah’s test mares be sport horses, maybe start a line of eventers/jumpers.

Maybe they don’t do the test mare thing anymore?[/QUOTE]

I believe the “test mare” thing is for insurance purposes: To document fertility. A test that, sadly, Cigar failed.

While my prior horse wasn’t of that particular line, the breeder I bought him from had a First Secretary (Appaloosa) daughter.

[QUOTE=boosma47;8384975]
Have the same question. Other than turn out, what kind of exercise will AP have…and other than breeding mares.[/QUOTE]\

I think it depends on the individual. Seattle Slew was ridden daily, he was so high energy. He lived a long time (28 I believe?), so one wonders if daily exercise rather than JUST “I’m fat and happy and breeding mares” was a contributing factor.

I’m hoping AP is ridden every day just to keep him fit and exercised. I’d rather not see him as a chunky monkey with the associated potential for laminitis…

I know Three Chimneys rides/exercises their stallions. Do any other farms do this? I don’t know the logistics or if some insurance companies might not allow it, but I think it’s a good thing. You just have to look at pictures of the Three Chimneys stallions to see that they are in good, healthy shape. Not fat puddings like you see at other farms.

Winstar does for some of theirs I believe.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/95703/american-pharoah-retires-to-ashford

^^^

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8384845]
I’m betting side by side. I’d be REALLY surprised if it were together.[/QUOTE]

What I saw this morning was a short video report on BH and they didn’t clarify. This later article has much more detail and yes, next to each other along with comments on the test breedings in December to help him learn his new job.

On one of the reports there was a picture of Baffert hugging AP. Has he ever done a thing like this before? I think he is sure going to be missed by a lot of folks associated with him.

[QUOTE=Mara;8384946]
I don’t suppose there’s a chance of Ashford hosting any kind of a fan event. I know they tend to be pretty closed to the public.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure about a fan event, but when I was in KY for Rolex I was able to set up a farm tour and it was VERY relaxed. I was able to spend about ten minutes in front of each stallions stall to take pictures and ask questions. Now, I have no idea if I saw all the stallions but I saw all the ones I wanted (saw at least 8 stallions) and I assume AP would be in the same barn.

[QUOTE=Sandy M;8385094]
\

I think it depends on the individual. Seattle Slew was ridden daily, he was so high energy. He lived a long time (28 I believe?), so one wonders if daily exercise rather than JUST “I’m fat and happy and breeding mares” was a contributing factor.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I would guess it depends on how he settles in. If he continues with the current personality he shows, he probably wouldn’t NEED daily work to stay mentally happy, but who knows? I don’t think most barns are stuffing them to beef-cattle proportions any more a la Secretariat, going by current photos (some friends just did the grand tour while in KY for the BC and I thought the only one who looked a skotch pudgy was Cigar, and even he had high ribs showing so he’s probably just out of riding shape, not fat.)