OA and Pentosan for people

Pentosan after 6 mths has been amazing for my 25yr gelding. He is off all NSAIDS and totally acting like he is 2 decades younger. So much so I am now starting 3 old dogs on it also. If I see half the results in the dogs that I saw in the horse I will still be very impressed.

So I know there are some trials out there that showed promise in people. Is anyone currently using Pentosan? Good, bad, no results?

Cuz my knees are not getting any younger!

No, but I’m tempted.

[QUOTE=JSwan;6640459]
No, but I’m tempted.[/QUOTE]

You and me both!

Woops, sorry!!

Sorry ya’ll but that drug is used in humans only for painful bladder syndrome to control urinary symptoms! :eek:
But I would like to recommend other classes of nsaids. I took Celebrex for years for my bad knee. Remember that that class of drugs needs to be taken for 3-6 weeks before peak effectiveness can be assessed. No GI side effects too!
My dogs have always done well on Rimadyl. Same drug as Celebrex in humans.

1 Like

wateryglen,

There are and have been OA trials with Pentosan in people now. Very promisng results too for knees. These are the people I care to hear from if they wish to share their stories.

Really!?!

Could you give me some specifics on the trials?!! Wow! Where had you heard about this?! I have a bad knee also.

I’ve only ever seen uro give pentosan (elmiron) to interstitial cystitis patients and they HaTe it. I’ve never rx’d it before and haven’t read about it recently in any med journals for OA. Haven’t read everyone cover to cover tho :slight_smile:

My Epocrates says the exact mechanism of action is uknown tho, may adhere to bladder wall, buffer against cell permeability, weak anticoagulant activity. Not sure how this would translate to OA.

1 Like

There have been a few promising trials on knee arthritis in people. A doctor and pharmacy in Texas also compound an inhaled version of pentosan, which you can get with a prescription. I have severe neck arthritis (large bone spurs), as well as more minor arthritis of the knees, and Pentosan has worked very well for both.

I give Pentosan to my older horses and had such good results I asked my vet for a script for my old arthritic dog. He had to take 6 pills ( he weighs 60lb) and it made him a new dog! So much so , he actually went on a little trail ride with me, chasing all the chipmunks. After seeing that I am very tempted to take a few of those
" magic" pills myself since I need a new knee and the darn thing hurts!

Oh thx so much for sharing vali. I was hoping to hear good results. My knees still do their job gratefully but they are complaining more these days. The ground was very hard this year with the drought and boy when I sat down each night was I reminded the knees did not like that at all.

Wateryglen, Just google it to find some articles and abstracts. I happened on one when I was researching Pentosan for my horse a couple months ago. Had not had a chance with my bizzy life to review it until just the other night. It does sound promising!

I did pull up several pubmed articles before I decided to try it (DH is a professor so we have access), and pentosan appears to have some very beneficial effects with respect to arthritis. There’s been a few studies on knee arthritis in people in Japan. It’s also worked wonders in my two horses, and the 21 year old went from gimping around his pasture to eventing again with my mother. It appears to have a low side effect profile, although it’s best not to combine it with NSAIDS, and my doctor was comfortable writing the prescription. I printed out the articles for my doctor, but I’ll have to see if I can somehow link them. DH has the full pubmed access and he’s on a trip, so I may have to wait until he’s back. It’s an off-label use for people, but many commonly used treatments are. I pointed out to my doctor that steroid injections into the spine are also off-label and not FDA approved, but he’s done that several times.

Sorry, I disagree!

I will have to disagree with your statements. I believe what you are saying is untrue. I do not believe in the practice that" if it’s good for my animals it must be good for me". There are sooooo many appropriate and proven treatments for your problem. Why go there.?
I’m out of this conversation.
What you are doing/saying is…unsafe.

1 Like

[QUOTE=wateryglen;6646441]
I will have to disagree with your statements. I believe what you are saying is untrue. I do not believe in the practice that" if it’s good for my animals it must be good for me". There are sooooo many appropriate and proven treatments for your problem. Why go there.?
I’m out of this conversation.
What you are doing/saying is…unsafe.[/QUOTE]

How do you know it is unsafe? It is already being used in humans for another purpose and is being studied for joint pain. At this point there is not enough information to say one way or the other as far as safety and effectiveness is concerned.

wateryglen, your statements seem to omit logic.

Since it seems to have an approved use in humans, it must have been tested to be safe. Effectiveness - that seems more questionable. Although my older horses are thriving on it. I don’t think it would be unsafe.
As far as animal - human link, well, there has to be something to it, otherwise why test on animals first?
YOUR statements do not make sense, it is the typical close minded medical “monopoly” on “I know better” god complex that degrades the medical profession from forward thinking caring innovators to close minded liability panicked drs of today. Very sad state of medicine.

[QUOTE=mzm farm;6646839]
wateryglen, your statements seem to omit logic.

Since it seems to have an approved use in humans, it must have been tested to be safe. Effectiveness - that seems more questionable. Although my older horses are thriving on it. I don’t think it would be unsafe.
As far as animal - human link, well, there has to be something to it, otherwise why test on animals first?
YOUR statements do not make sense, it is the typical close minded medical “monopoly” on “I know better” god complex that degrades the medical profession from forward thinking caring innovators to close minded liability panicked drs of today. Very sad state of medicine.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Wateryglen, you seemed to want to sabotage a discussion about Pentosan and use in human AO from the beginning. When my hubby read your posts he said you sounded like a panicked Celebrex saleman.

Lord forbid if medicine in humans evolves…I think not.

It’s not like she’s injecting Banamine. She’s taking a medication that IS already being used in humans, and was prescribed to her by her Dr. How is that bad? Many medications are prescribed off label.

I’m sure I’ll get some angry PMs over this, but I’ve taken Pentosan at 2mg/kg subQ 1x/week as I’ve read in studies for knee OA. I’ll admit the results were pretty amazing!

[QUOTE=D Taylor;6647132]
When my hubby read your posts he said you sounded like a panicked Celebrex salesman.[/QUOTE]

lol! I havent seen a Celebrex rep in a long time but I do remember when vioxx was pulled & they freaked!

Btw- re: SQ use of pentosan, I’d be sure to have your LFTs and kidney function checked & monitored regularly-plus there are drug-drug interactions with it, just FYI.

1 Like

Celebrex

[QUOTE=wateryglen;6640643]
Sorry ya’ll but that drug is used in humans only for painful bladder syndrome to control urinary symptoms! :eek:
But I would like to recommend other classes of nsaids. I took Celebrex for years for my bad knee. Remember that that class of drugs needs to be taken for 3-6 weeks before peak effectiveness can be assessed. No GI side effects too!
My dogs have always done well on Rimadyl. Same drug as Celebrex in humans.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Celebrex advertises as not having GI side effects, but it’s not true for some people. (Myself included.) I did a search on the web and there are many out there that can’t stomach it well either. I wonder if Petosan would be a good alternative? I can’t wait to hear how the clinical trials turn out.

I wonder how it would help Endometriosis pain? I cannot take Narcotics, since they make my SOD flare, but Toradol words amazingly well…only it can only be taken for 5 days out of every month. :frowning: I’d love to find something like Toradol that could be taken for longer stretches - I miss riding my pony!