Unlimited access >

Ok, tack fiends, talk eventing saddles to me

For the first time in my entire life, I’m at a place where I can buy a new (or at least, new to me) saddle with a pretty solid budget (under $5k USD). I’ve been riding in a Collegiate all purpose for the past 10+ years that was secondhand when I got it… and while it’s served me well, it’s time to move on.

That being said, between this forum and the ever-intimidating Internet, all I’ve heard are conflicting opinions on “good” brands vs “bad.” Regardless, I’ll have a fitter out and get a saddle that fits my horse, but I would at least like to sound like I know something when they come out.

Currently, I’ll be doing low-level eventing and fox hunting. I’d love a monoflap saddle, but where I find the greatest conflict is what brands are actually good. Beyond fit and feel, what do y’all look for when eyeing up a new saddle? What brands have you had phenom consistency with and lasted over the years? Or have started well but ended in a hunk of burning flames?

Not sure it matters, but I have a Thoroughbred, so take that into whatever account!

Congratulations on your new saddle journey.

My big piece of advice, is to vet your fitters carefully. Ask in your local social media groups about experiences. Do your own research on their certifications. Make sure they are certified independent fitters, versus “fitters” (often called representatives) for a specific company. Many representatives will advertise themselves as " certified saddle fitters" ex. “Certified Stubben Saddle Fitter” – what they really mean is they took a 2 week course by their specific brand, to learn about their product. Anyone can take and pass this course. This title is understandably confusing and misleading - they are no more “certified fitters” than I am a “certified chemist”.

First thing I would do, is get wither tracings and consult with your fitter if you trust them. Certain brands will have specs that won’t work with your horse. To give you an example - I love Amerigos – but their panel shape has never worked with any of my horses (TBs) who tend to need a flatter, broader panel than what Amerigo seems to supply.

I am happy with my custom Black Country, but how I acquired this saddle is a pretty unhappy story. Like you, I finally saved up enough to get a custom saddle after years of saving. I did my homework. I talked to local people. I went with Stubben since their Zaria line was apparently great with TBs; I used one of their reps (who, btw, also used the misleading term “saddle fitter” when she was just a rep). The rep told me my then-saddle wasn’t right, and told me I needed to go custom. I bought a custom saddle to their exact specifications and my horse went from willing to unrideable. Involved the vet, my chiro, even my trainer - every professional in my circle said this saddle did not fit my horse – except the fitter, who then blamed my issues on my girth, and then my riding. All of that to say, I listened to the horse and scrapped the saddle. I ended up riding the horse in the old BC I had lying around for a different horse - and 2 years later, had saved up enough to go custom. I ordered the exact copy of the BC saddle I have - on paper, this saddle isn’t “the perfect fit” for my horse - but he goes very happily in it.

Make sure whatever you ride in, you can get more than a month’s trial. I’m finding out more and more, that 1 week, 2 weeks, even a month can be meaningless when it comes to assessing the genuine compatibility of a saddle. Sometimes, they can have a “honeymoon” period where the new saddle seems to make them feel better, but fits just as inappropriately as the old saddle in different ways.

Good luck.

10 Likes

I foxhunt and event. Both horses, OTTB, go in monoflaps. One horse goes in Black Country Vinici Solaire and the other goes in a County Solution. Both saddles are very well made and I’m extremely happy with both of them.

If you haven’t ridden in a monoflap I suggest that maybe you borrow some to try out. It’s a much different feel that your standard saddle. Really try them out before you ride in them.

Also, knowing what you like in a saddle matters. A lot of saddles are fairly deep these days and have pretty good size blocks. I like a flatter saddle and don’t like blocks. I actually think monoflaps don’t need them as over time you will develop a pocket behind the saddle points. Also, if you foxhunt in steeper territory you may that your stirrup leathers can slip behind the block when going up a steep hill. Both of my saddles were made without the back block.

The best saddle for you and your horse is the one that fits you and your horse. Become brand agnostic and focus on fit, fit fit. It is the one thing you can spend money on that has a huge impact on riding.

I started my recent saddle search wanting ANYTHING except a French foam panel huntery jump saddle. I wanted a high tech monoflap with wool flocking! I ended up with a Voltaire Stuttgart… because it fit :woman_shrugging:

To add to @beowulf 's comments about vetting fitters, remember that brand reps sell their brand, and are sometimes more than happy to compromise fit so they can make money. Saddle fitters are people who should be able to assess fit, adjust and maybe repair a saddle, master saddlers/saddle makers who make saddles, and then there are saddleries - places that sell various brands of saddle.

Yes - there’s often crossover. A master saddler who can also fit saddles. A brand rep who can adjust their brand of saddle. A fitter with a truck full of used saddles for you to try of all brands. Just be clear on who you’re working with, and what they can do for you.

Get ready to sit in lots of saddles. Try all your barnmate’s saddles so you can find out if you like a wide or narrow twist, a shallow or deep seat, what seat size, leather type etc. Have every single pro who comes out show you what they’re looking for when they make a wither tracing, fit a saddle, check a back for pain. One time I went around all the local tack shops with a wither tracing and rounded up a dozen saddles I thought were in the ballpark, on trial, and scheduled a fitter who also sold used saddles to come out - we just went down the line until we found a winner!

9 Likes

I just ride in lots of saddles and the one that feels the most balanced and puts me in a good place is the one I buy. I do that for both jump and dressage saddles. I have a devacoux soccoa from 2005 to jump and a 2018 CWD something something for dressage.

When I try a jump saddle I go jump big enough fences to actually make my horse jump and concentrate how they feel and if I am able to stay within the balance they give me. For me, the devacoux has been great for multiple horses. I’ve worn out the pommel but who cares? That saddle affected my jump so well in the first 3 fences, I bought it right then. Hard stop.

Be willing to walk away from anybody giving you a hard sell. Have a trainer or other eye on the ground to judge your position as you ride.

1 Like

Since you foxhunt, make sure your hunt group ( or potential group) allows monoflaps. Some hunts do not.

Work with an experienced (well vetted!) saddle fitter who can help you understand what works for you and your horse. If you want to get the most bang for your budget buck, let them know up front that you will be looking for and at used saddles.

Personally, as a rider with a long hip to knee and thick Warmbloods, I found the harry dabs to be beautiful saddles for me. Wool flocked, great flap configuration and a dream to ride in (perfect balance and leather that hits the mark as being soft and grippy and durable at the same time). In another life, when I had a little TB, the Barnsby saddles (especially wool flocked if you could find them), were fantastic. Unfortunately current horse is too thick for the tree, more of a TB saddle.

Totally agree to try as many saddles as you can. Approach it as a scientist. Make a chart, take a picture of the saddle specs and take notes on what you like/don’t like. A good saddle fitter will be able to translate that into better options for you when you get to the point of trying with them.

2 Likes

Absolutely! My OTTB has gotten fitted by an independent fitter before who had recommended a few different brands for him (Antares/Prestige/Devocoux) but recommended I wait to purchase since at the time he was still pretty skinny.

We’re at a place now where he’s gained an ample amount of weight/muscle and can hopefully find something a little more long-term.

I love this. I’m very type A so I sense a Google Sheet approaching…

1 Like

I’ve heard this one multiple times from different saddle reps but have yet to come across a hunt that actually objects to a monoflap. As I said to one rep, the hunt can comment on a lot of things like what I wear but they don’t get to tell what saddle I can/cannot use. If I came across such a hunt I wouldn’t bother to hunt with them.

10 Likes

I had a formerly independent saddle fitter who later started repping stubben. She was great. She didn’t hole me into a brand and listened to my feedback, unlike a bunch of saddle reps who blew smoke up my butt about their fancy-looking-crappily-fitting $$ saddles. I landed up with a stubben Zaria for my Ottb. I will say I went through around 10 saddles minimum before finding this one. And I just knew my horse didn’t like the other ones. But like above poster said, a lot of the reps are out to make a sale. Just listen to your body and your horse and keep trying until you find the Right Saddle.

I will also say that I got my saddle when my horse was 4, so over the past year I did have to send my saddle back to stubben to widen the tree. That was fine with me though, that’s just life and my baby growing up <3

1 Like

I know of at least one hunt that doesn’t allow it for members. However, you are right. Most hunts don’t care and are just happy to have members.

To be honest, I wouldn’t hunt with a group that was so restrictive that they’d care if my English saddle was a monoflap.

This is probably bound to happen to me, too. My OTTB is 5 and I’m sure in a bit he’ll expand but we desperately need something that is not my current saddle lol.

This. It’s fine if you want to restrict my pants or if my boots are field boots vs dress, but my saddle? Nah… it needs to fit my horse and that should be all.

3 Likes

Another option that you could consider is a dual flap with long billets. I too thought I wanted a monoflap but when I rode in one a handful of times, I found I preferred a little more saddle underneath me. I have a Black Country Ricochet dual flap with long billets that I bought in 2014. It fits my horse andI like a glove and I will ride in it until the flaps fall off! I would strongly suggest a wool flocked brand over a foam one…

Looking for a saddle is one of the circles of hell. Even with a good budget.

I’m not sure I would say what brands are “actually good”. It just depends on what fits the horse! I have 4 saddles for my 2 horses- a CWD monoflap jump saddle, a Voltaire dual flap jump saddle, a Schleese Obrigado dressage saddle, and a Black Country dressage saddle. Clearly I’m not loyal to a brand. :wink: Each time I needed a saddle I grabbed several from the consignment stores local to me (or shipped them in from online stores) and eyeballed what I thought might be a good fit. When I weeded out the obvious ones that wouldn’t work, I had a saddle fitter weigh in on what she thought would be good for the horse.

I have run into many saddle reps who are terrible. Sales people with no actual expertise in fitting the saddle to the horse or rider. Through trial and error I have found a couple that will help and not just want to sell their saddle. Not sure where OP is located, but I recommend Patty Merli (she reps Black Country and travels the east coast) and Hastilow Saddlery (they have a few brands) based out of PA, traveling to nearby areas.

5 Likes

I know they look rather radical (although they do have more “conventional” looking options), my horse and I both love our EQ Saddle Science saddles. They have a very different panel approach, but it was by the far the most comfortable saddle for my horse (who is very particular about fit and doesn’t necessarily agree with “qualified” fitters). I have the flapless version and love the close contact feel, but can add the flap if I want to look more conservative! I also love that I can make minor adjustments to the fit by myself and the company offers remote fittings (helpful when your barn is in the middle of nowhere).

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have two saddles that came from Patty Merli. Patty came to our barn years ago to fit a saddle to a different horse, and found a used saddle within our $2k budget. This saddle happened to be the one I ended up riding my Custom-Stubben-Horse in when we were between saddles. COVID hit, and I couldn’t get Patti out - so we rode in it a little longer. He did so well I decided I should get him his own. Patti made a custom BC for me this spring that is an exact copy down to the serge panels. It arrived this summer and it’s stunning. Horse approves too.

Unfortunately with COVID I don’t think Patti is traveling to the east coast – but she has a lot of people up here who love her and swear by her. If you travel south for the winter, it’s worth looking her up while you’re in her zipcode (she is out of Aiken).

I love, love, love my Jeffries JMX monoflap. They aren’t made any more but you can find them on the used market for $1500 or less. My saddle fitter says they are as nice as saddles costing 2-3x.

3 Likes

Ugh unfortunately I’m down in Texas. I’ve heard amazing things about Black Country saddles though.

My black country also came through Patti Merli. When my horse is down in Aiken in Feb I’m going to have her come over and do a check out on it.

1 Like

Patty Merli fan here as well. Since shes not traveling due to covid, she has started doing a remote fitting consultationthat many people have had tremendous success with. Theres a link to it on her webpage… pattymerlisaddles.com.