Unlimited access >

Older jumper folks, your thoughts on the jumper culture

There’s the odd trainer or rider that I’ve seen at shows over the years with this vibe but they’ve been few and far between, and people just know to avoid and then poof we generally never see them again! Hmmmmm I wonder why LOL….what I see in Alberta and actually Canada is most trainers are friendly with each other and because we don’t have that many shows, know each other well! It’s not unusual to have more than one trainer warning their students up over the same fences, chatting at the ingates….and at outdoor shows (before covid) such as TBird, we would have barn bbqs during the 2 weeks at TBird, where a few barns would all get together because the trainers all know each other! I’ve also had my trainer (and vice versa) have another trainer watch my Hunter round if she had to go for a round in the Grand Prix ring that absolutely couldn’t be moved!

Edited to add,the last time I showed in TBird , I met a lovely lady I was showing against in the 3ft3 hunters. She rode with thunderbird show stables and was super happy to have a “newbie” in the division LOL everyone in this A/O division talked to each other while we stood at the ingate, congratulated each other….it was lovely! And when I got up the courage to enter my first derby, that lovely lady cheered me on as her trainer rode her horse! I love riding with amateur ladies….generally we are there to have fun, we all have the same nerves and can all make the same same mistakes no matter how nice the horse and this levels the field and we all realize this!

11 Likes

I 100% agree with this! I’ve ridden at a handful of barns in my area over the years and have been at a couple with this same type of attitude…

My trainer now is one of the most positive, warmest people I know and teaches her riders at a young age that sportsmanship is #1 and to be kind and respectful to all fellow competitors.

On the other hand, there are several barns that sit in front of their set up at shows and won’t even make eye contact with you unless you ride with them. If you say hello, expect to be completely ignored. And yes, the trainers are the worst ones and absolutely set the tone for the entire barn, especially when their clientele is made up primarily of pre-teens and teens who need a positive role-model.

6 Likes

This. I started showing back in the '60s and as best I recall, it was the same back then. The trainers/4-H leaders/barn managers/barn owners set the tone. If they are friendly and welcoming - and enforce that attitude in their students - the atmosphere at shows will also be friendly and welcoming. If not, then you’ve got people, and especially teens, roaming around in snarky little cliques.

4 Likes

Middle adult here, showing in hunters and jumpers around the SE and at WEC this winter, and I haven’t experienced that at all! So I have to think it must be a local thing, or something about that specific show. My jumper has very unique coloring and an expression that says “I really love my job” all the time – his cute ears are like radar locking on the jumps – and not a show has gone by where at least one stranger hasn’t stopped me in the warmup to say they thought he was so cute and loved watching him go because we look like we are having so much fun (and we are!), and I’ve experienced a lot of “solidarity” among the adults in the hunters as well. So my experience definitely doesn’t suggest that keeping to yourself and your group has become the norm. Do people tend to hang with their barn family, sure, but I definitely haven’t seen an unwillingness to mingle or be friendly!

5 Likes

In the past year I have taken my horse to USHJA rated, USDF, WDAA and NSBA hunter shows, and one local. I do have a trainer but it’s a pretty informal setup - no stall curtains and setups, we all pitch in, and I groom my horse and hold him ringside.

In all the shows I attended, I can only recall one person giving me a glare and being even slightly rude, and that was largely because I was standing in the way of the exit area of the dressage warmup ring at WEC. I kind of deserved it as I literally in the middle of the way and the horse trying to leave was anxious and challenging (ready to run me over).

Maybe it’s the benefit of southern hospitality, but I recall being at a show and watching from the gate area and a trainer came up on his golf cart and offered me a Krispy Kreme. We’ve gotten along well ever since! People have loaned us forks when ours broke, assistance loading a horse that didn’t seem to want to leave WEC (must have really loved those stall mattresses). At WEC a person in the viewing area realized my horse was up next and let me have the front row so I could video during his test. As seating was limited, that was quite kind!

So to answer your question, I don’t think it’s the hunters, or jumpers, or even dressage. I think it is more about the attitudes and demeanors of the people in the area where you happen to be. Or maybe you are giving people some kind of vibe which is a turnoff but you aren’t aware (think b*tchy resting face or body language)?

5 Likes

It’s certainly possible that last part applies to me. I try my best to be nice and cordial, but me inner me wants it to stay entirely superficial.

1 Like

I’m a bit younger but that hasn’t been my experience in the mid-Atlantic. Maybe because here in MD we have so much crossover–there are a lot of people you’ll see in the jumper ring one weekend and out at an event or dressage show the next, so everyone seems to be on at least superficially friendly terms.

What was said above about the coach/trainer setting the tone really matters, too. I enjoy riding with a coach who knows people, and is friendly and social at shows, willing to help someone else’s students out, etc.

4 Likes

As a side note, i am a lot more cheerful after my classes are done for the day. So while (I hope that) I’ve never been actively rude to anyone, I certainly wouldn’t be accused of being outgoing, sunny, or social if you catch me before I’ve ridden. Serious RBF - but I promise it’s because I’m trying not to barf on your shoes from nerves, not blow you off!

What area are you in, OP? I don’t think you mentioned, or I missed it if you did. I haven’t noticed this too much at either local or rated shows, but there are always a variety of personalities. I am given to understand that HJ shows tend to run on an expectation that you’re there with a trainer much more than in eventing. So there can definitely be some friction if someone both shows up without help and doesn’t realize (or care) how the schooling ring typically works, for example. But just walking around being rude? Not so much.

5 Likes

Not a H/J person in the PNW, I haven’t found eventers to be any more friendly or inclusive than hunter or jumper folks, adults and teenagers alike. However, it does mostly center around the tween girls who just stare at me when I say a cheerful “hello” to them. I’ve taken to ignoring them and concentrating on myself and my horse.

2 Likes

I know I’ve done it. I tend to be cold all the time and a precious back injury makes it more comfortable for me to stand with my arms crosses, which can make me look unapproachable. Sometimes I totally overlook reaching out my hand to introduce myself when I’m in a group where I’m the newcomer and nobody has introduced me.

The best way to make friends is to bring a bottle of wine or champs and ask the adult gang if they’d like a glass!

6 Likes

OP-are you in the midwest by chance? There is a bit more tribalism here IMO than I’ve seen in other areas. I will never forget the first event I went to in the early 90’s. I was walking up to the dressage ring, obviously decked out in my hunter gear(tack, green coat-the works). Rather than being shunned for using different tack, so many competitors asked me if this was my first event…then welcomed me…then wished me good luck!! I about fell off my horse! I had never witnessed that warm of a welcome EVER in the H/J shows I attended. I do think it is a little better now, but on the whole I would say the H/J crew could stand to be more welcoming. Beginning with a welcoming office staff, to the neighboring barns, to welcoming spectators and encouraging(post covid) exhibitor mingling and we, as exhibitors, recognizing someone who may be dipping a toe into our world and making them feel welcome. Even if they have weird tack. Or an appaloosa/arab. Or a helmet cover. Our sport has set very narrow margins for what is “acceptable” and personally I think it is detrimental and most definitely not welcoming. just my opinion.

8 Likes

I’m in SoCal. I agree that the trainer sets the tone. I know of a barn of amateurs and the drama there is ungodly, people actively root for each other to fail.

Our barn actually has a lot of very uppity well-to-do young ladies. But our trainer has zero patience for any nonsense. Zero. So they are all super polite and kind and supportive.

It’s a really nice atmosphere for an amateur actually bc they push you a little harder to drop your stirrups or be a little bolder in your jump offs. We have some ammie ladies too and we all get along. There is healthy trash talk and support at the ingate with many of the jumper amateurs at other barns. We try to catch each other’s classes and grab a glass of wine at the end of the day.

Honestly, compared to how it was when I was a teen in the 90s, there was so much catty bs. I rode with a BNT and only equitation teens, dear lord that was unhealthy. And no one seemed to root for each other back then.

3 Likes

Yes I am!

3 Likes

That’s so unfortunate you experienced that! I’m in the midwest, we live near WEC Ohio, and we sort of experience that. I am with “that” barn, and by “that” barn I mean we’re the barn that doesn’t take themselves too seriously and try to be friendly and helpful with others. I was cracking jokes before going into the flat portion of a medal final one year and got a lot of side eye from trainers of children (which, whatever, your skinny kid is probably going to be my short chubby adult butt so leave me be). There are definitely some that side eye us sometimes but we ignore them because where is the fun in any of that? This is supposed to be fun. We’ve also made many friends along the way being like that. Just a week ago at WEC a pro in the jumper ring was clearly there solo with a couple green horses and figured out quickly he could share a fence with us in the warm up ring. I was setting for my trainer and he’d ask if we’d mind if he caught the fence and we were like oh of course, what else do you need? He looked relieved. Being solo is super tough. There’s friendly groups out there, be the good you want to see at the horse show. We find each other.

17 Likes

I think it just depends. H/J here in your area and honestly I’ve ridden with half the trainers in the area so I’m always really friendly with them. I find everyone to be pretty helpful and for the most part very nice. Everyone talks to everyone and knows everyone. Now, there are certain trainers that have a reputation and people would rather avoid it, but most of the associations are run by the same individuals and it is a tight knit community. I hear compliments flying left and right, people laughing together from different barns, and lots of conversations strike up between people who don’t know each other. Heck, the last show I competed at (I’m always working them so rarely compete) I was incredibly nervous and two girls I’ve seen at competitions but don’t know personally started talking with me and helped ease nerves. I’m not part of the older crowd per se, but I’m definitely 2-3x the kids ages. I have a couple adult friends that I’ve met through shows that I like to hang out with and catch up with when I’m at the show grounds - never been to their barns and most I’ve never met their trainers, but if I needed anything I’m sure I could ask and be met with a friendly response. I have not seen the “don’t you talk to anyone who isn’t one of us” stuff happen myself, but I’m sure it does… especially with the barns who don’t tend to come out and play with the rest most of the time.

5 Likes

FWIW I think the schooling ring is always difficult if you do not have a ground person to manage the jump for you, which makes showing solo difficult. You get looks if you track in behind someone else whose trainer has claimed the jump, or you get “your” jump claimed if you got off and set for yourself and by the time you swing round to pop over it some trainer has claimed it and is resetting, etc etc. I think part of the problem is too many people have" trainers" and are not going solo (just joking!) Not sure what the solution is-- maybe laying a towel over it so it shows it is being used?(Need a protocol for solo riders w/o trainers!) Best solution is have a horse that does not need or want much warm up!

4 Likes

It’s standard procedure to have a person on the ground, in the warmup arena, at shows to set jumps for a rider. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a trainer. Can be dangerous. Ask me how I know…

Luckily, I have never experienced the petty behavior between barns like the OP describes. Not at any H/J schooling or USEF sanctioned shows in the last couple of decades; nor in any training barn environments. Quite the contrary actually.

Haven’t observed it at any dressage competitions either.

Sounds like teenagers behaving badly.

2 Likes

Some day I do hope to finally make the move from Ontario to Alberta, hearing this is so nice :).

2 Likes

I’m a 41 year old SNT that takes two to three horses to HITS Saugerties a few times a year. I’ve been stabled across from Olympians who are super friendly and chat with us or share a beer at the end of the day, to complete A-holes who won’t even make eye contact even though I’m literally sharing the aisle space with them. Kids that roll their eyes if I tell them their pony is cute…trainers who are pissed when I ask them to kindly move their things out of the empty stall my horses will be occupying…that kind of thing. It’s not discipline specific - sometimes people just suck. I would also never avoid walking down an aisle of a specific group if that is the most convenient path for me, though!

Last year, I beat the horse trailer to M/S finals and the stalls were not mucked out from championship week. I asked a trainer down the aisle to borrow a pitchfork as mine was on the trailer with the horses…you would have thought I asked her for a million dollars she was so rude to me. Other times, I’ve had people stabled across from us jump up and help us unload if they are hanging around doing nothing. So you just never know.

As far as the schooling ring goes, if you had set a jump before you got on that you were planning on warming up over and someone changed it, I would politely ask them to return it to that height when they are done (assuming you weren’t ready to jump yet when they lowered it). I don’t always have a ground person available, so I speak up if someone changes the jump I was using, and ignore any attitude thrown my way. I am also happy to help move a jump if I’m on the ground and someone asks or a horse hits a rail down.

10 Likes

[quote=“Moneypitt, post:37, topic:759264”]
t’s standard procedure to have a person on the ground, in the warmup arena, at shows to set jumps for a rider. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a trainer. Can be dangerous. Ask me how I know
[/quoteI

I agree it does not have to be a trainer-just usually is-- and basically my point is going solo to a horse show (i.e. without a ground person is hard.) And hard to convince someone they need to stand around at a horse show all day for your hobby. That is why trainers get paid to do it.

1 Like