Unlimited access >

Older, plus-sized rider needs advice on showing.

[QUOTE=cnvh;8275955]
Goodness. Imagine if you’d have just, oh I dunno, admired her for just getting out there and cheered her on??? Maybe laughing at her is more socially acceptable for you when your friends are looking. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, cnvh. I didn’t like that “laughing” part either. Everybody has something that’s less than ideal. People who are overweight just can’t hide it as well as others. However, we are human and no one wants to be treated ‘less than…’

[QUOTE=ParadoxFarm;8275968]
This is actually a two-day show, right? Not a three-day. Friday is just schooling? I really think it’s a very high price for the show you describe. And I don’t think it’s all the show. It’s the lease fee, which you cannot avoid, and the trainer’s fees, etc. Seems higher than what I would be willing to pay. You could probably take part of that 700 and get some more lessons, or even lease a horse that you can take to shows later. The longer you wait and take more lessons, the more likely it is you will fare better at the shows! I think 700 for your classes is too much. As an alternative, is there someone else you can split a lease on? Or is there a rider there who would be willing to let you ride their horse for a few classes?

Good luck with your decision. There will always be more shows if you decide to wait![/QUOTE]

Correct - Friday is schooling, but I’m still paying lesson, lease and trainer for that day as well.

[QUOTE=Groom&Taxi;8275941]
I don’t think the fees as detailed are unreasonable for the situation you are describing. The show fees by themselves for a three day show with stabling are in-line with what I have seen for a similar set-up for an un-rated show that is intended to give more of a rated show experience (nice facility, decorated jumps, licensed officials). The trainer and horse lease fees add up to a good chunk, but again are probably not out of line especially for a quality, established program and including trailering and the use of the horse.

For what it’s worth, I am in a somewhat similar situation (50+, ten pounds too heavy, breeches are not flattering to my figure) - an adult re-rider who had a fair number of saddle hours but no real riding education in my teens. I too had my confidence demolished last year. I am back to riding and contemplating going to one or two local shows in the next couple of months and doing about the same classes you are considering. The shows with overnight stabling, a handful of classes, and a coaching fee will only cost me about $100. The difference is that I own the horse as well as a truck and trailer so I am paying in other ways that add up to a lot more in the long term. But it would be a bucket list item for me to show, and I’d like to be able to check that item off the list.

Only you can decide if that $700 is worth it to you for what you are trying to achieve. If you can afford it and want to have the away show experience and for whatever reason feel that the opportunity won’t come again with any certainty any time soon, then go for it. Edited to add: if nothing else, consider going to the show your “reward” for getting back to this point in your riding journey.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Kind of a bucket list item for me, too. It’s a local show, but a big, well-attended one - I’m not traveling/overnighting to do poles and flat classes…lol. And you all have helped me curb my competitiveness on placing and put my focus back on doing my best (and staying on the horse - my personal goal…lol.) And I’ve cracked up with the suggestions to bring a portable bar/drinks. What a wacky sport this is.

You already know the answer to this…

Age doesn’t matter. Weight doesn’t matter. Performance matters a great deal. Becky Holder is an advanced level eventer, who is not thin. Betty Oare isn’t a skinny minnie either, but she rides wonderfully and has fabulous horses. At the level you will compete at, you will be competing against adorable children on cute ponies. They will, because they are cute and likely ride better than you, beat you. Soundly probably, and that’s ok.

Show because, dammit, you want to dress up and go show and maybe win a prize or at least conquer your fears. Don’t use weight and age and expense as an excuse not to do it, you can either afford $700 or you can’t. Truthfully, for the show, coaching, a leased horse and transport for the weekend, that doesn’t sound bad.

[QUOTE=2ndyrgal;8276187]
Age doesn’t matter. Weight doesn’t matter. Performance matters a great deal. Becky Holder is an advanced level eventer, who is not thin. Betty Oare isn’t a skinny minnie either, but she rides wonderfully and has fabulous horses. At the level you will compete at, you will be competing against adorable children on cute ponies. They will, because they are cute and likely ride better than you, beat you. Soundly probably, and that’s ok.

Show because, dammit, you want to dress up and go show and maybe win a prize or at least conquer your fears. Don’t use weight and age and expense as an excuse not to do it, you can either afford $700 or you can’t. Truthfully, for the show, coaching, a leased horse and transport for the weekend, that doesn’t sound bad.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Forget the weight thing show if you want to show. However 1 day of schooling and then 2 days of showing and 5 classes seems pretty ambitious. Can you bring the horse over to the grounds and school and do one day of classes? This way you are only at the show for one day. Get a stall for the day if you can as that is normally easier than showing out of the trailer.

Most of our schooling shows in this area are 1 day shows. You haul in, school, show a division or two and go home. Even our our big Labor Day 3 day show most people haul in each day. They do have temporary stabling but only a small percentage of people use it compared to the number showing.

Show for one day. This way you get the experience, have less expenses and fewer days of stress. Or compromise, haul in Friday for schooling and show only Sat.

Is there not a real local schooling style show you can go to? Like a one day, formal dress optional, no stalls needed type of show? I’m just thinking 1) $700 is a lot of freaking money to spend on your first horse show. First horse shows are like first waffles…something is going to go wrong at some point in the process. 2) A more low key show is going to ease you into showing and give you a better idea of what you need to work on. Just as a comparison for you, I think the MOST I’ve ever spent at a one day school show was $300 ish…is this just the only type of show your trainer offers or the first one available for you to show in?

Another point to consider is the horse you’re taking to show. Is it a show pro been there done that horse? A lesson horse? A horse that hasn’t shown in 5 years? You can be the best skinniest rider in the world, but if your horse isn’t ready you’re still not going to win. Unless you’re doing equitation the horse is being judged more so than you.

IMO If the horse isn’t a showing machine with a proven record and your goal is to place well in the class, $700 is way too much. Now, what I would do is attend the show to help and give yourself a good idea of exactly what you’re getting into showing :wink:

This was my thought as well, since it is not your horse. Even if it is equitation, if your horse decides to be silly and doesn’t want to play nice, you are going to blow $700 and might come away with a less than pleasant experience. :slight_smile: Even a horse that is a steady eddie at home might be on his toes if he has not shown in a while. Would you be okay if that happened?

I am with the others who suggest trying a one day show first. Or could you share the lease with another rider to cut costs?