Unlimited access >

Oops...

Today, as a part of my veterinary education, I completed my first-ever solo surgery- a spay on a young black shelter cat.

And then I decided to adopt her.

Whoops. I guess my daily repetitions of “I do not need another cat,” were not effective.

COTH, meet Tonks.

I already have two other black cats (Sirius and Bellatrix), so what’s one more, right?

Anyone else have a fun “oops, I adopted something” story?

I was at a barrel race and someone called out, “Hey, you need a kitten!”

She’s curled up on the back of my couch as I type.

I have a couple hard and fast rules. If it’s a cat, he has to be a black and white tuxedo. If it’s a dog it has to be a blue Heeler. Otherwise I would have an entire house full. As it is I have 4 cats and 3-4 dogs in a 900sqft house! In other words, I have no room to judge!

Congrats on your new family member!!

I started a new job working at a kennel that provided and trained police k9s. My first day on the job they told me the kennel was mostly GSDs and Belgian Malinois, but they had one lab. The lab had failed K9 training and was food aggressive, and he had been living there stuck in a dirty stall converted to a kennel for so long they had lost his records. I was told he was free to a good home that felt comfortable managing his food aggression…I adopted him on the spot before ever meeting him. He did spend another 6 months living at the kennel (in the main kennels, not the converted barn) until I moved to a house with a yard, but in those 6 months he still got attention and exercise every day.

At the same kennel there was a GSD that had been there about 6 months before I got there. He supposedly came off the plane from Holland terrified of everything. I worked with him to earn his trust, and then to build his confidence. He got to where he would do anything I asked of him, but if anyone else tried to work him without me present he would shut down. He too ended up coming home with me.

It was a dark and stormy November night - cold, damp and the rain was just about to start. When from outside the apartment there came a shrill “Mew! Mew!”. A wee cat sat upon our neighbour’s fence.

“We should go get him”, I said.
“Absolutely not,” replied my boyfriend.
“Mew, mew, mew!” said kitty, which pretty clearly meant ‘let me in right now, I see you already have cats’.

An hour passed, with wee kitty hollering to be let in the whole time.

“He looks skinny,” I said, “I’m going to go see if he’ll eat a can.”
“Fine, but he’s not coming in,” said boyfriend.

I went a fed kitty a can, which he wolfed down with vigour. He was skinny, but otherwise in good shape and though a bit fearful, friendly. Likely the last of a litter that had been dumped outside.

I went back inside, “He’s starving. He’s just a babe.”
“No more cats,” said the boyfriend.
“Mew, mew, mew!” said the cat, for another twenty minutes.
“Go get the damn cat,” said the boyfriend.

Here’s the little beast, a few days after we took him in. He was just starting to get enough energy to play. We attempted to keep him apart from our other cats, but it didn’t last long - he instantly fit in and became the best of friends with my rabbit. The plan was to try and find him a new home, but that never happened. :yes:

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/1403144_10200712170161023_1319992992_o.jpg

Well, in a related way, I went to an auction to maybe buy a beautiful camelback trunk that was on the flier. I ended up buying my farm.

StG

[QUOTE=StGermain;8137216]
Well, in a related way, I went to an auction to maybe buy a beautiful camelback trunk that was on the flier. I ended up buying my farm.

StG[/QUOTE]

I love your house!

There are a lot more Blacks in the Harry Potter books. You might be in trouble!

I found a cat in the road last night. It was late and dark and I thought it might have been hit, so I just took it home with me. It appears to be fine (it has trashed my bathroom, though) so now I’m off to post fliers and knock on doors. Fingers crossed that she is someone’s pet.

I found a cat in the road last night. It was late and dark and I thought it might have been hit, so I just took it home with me. It appears to be fine (it has trashed my bathroom, though) so now I’m off to post fliers and knock on doors. Fingers crossed that she is someone’s pet.

I got two kittens to live at and kill mice for the grain elevator where I work.

Yeah, right. They didn’t spend a single night at the elevator and are now cats #7 and #8 in my household.

I had taken my dogs to PetsMart to the Banfield there, and PM was having an adoption fair. So, we’re leaving, and of COURSE I had to stop and look at the puppies. In one crate are three chocolate Lab looking types, sleeping away… so I gently touch the one on top of her head. She wakes up, blinks sleepily, then JUMPS to her feet, tail going, looking at me as if to say “You’re HERE!!! They TOLD me you would come!!! They DID!!!”

So I take her out of the crate (my dogs are mortified) and cuddle her on my lab. She tucks her head under my chin… yup, I’m doomed. She came home then and there.

On my way to the feed store a few years back I stopped in McDonald’s for a quick sandwich.
As I was muching in my car, I noticed the car parked next to me had an elderly couple who kept staring at me and each time I looked at them I smiled and they looked away. Pretty soon they start up their car and pull out and drive away. Shortly thereafter I thought I heard a teeny tiny mewing noise coming from a shoebox in the parking spot. I went to the shoebox to check and an itty bitty too young to be weaned midget kitten peered out at me.
Of course I take it “to find a good home”. My midget “Motorboat” is still with me and still a mini midget barely 5 pounds.

I was already one over my limit last summer, because of one of those old shelter kitties that they talk about on another thread that I just could not leave there. At that point, I was determined that no more cats were going to make my house their home, five was enough.

So what do I do when this very teeny tiny little tortie shows up in my yard, obviously too tame to be a feral? Yup, she’s upstairs sleeping on my bed right now. That little cat, that I thought for sure was a spring kitten, she was so small, turned out to be a yearling that was already spayed. Couldn’t find anyone who would claim her, though, and it’s too late now. She’s mine, or more truthfully, I’m her’s.

Last winter one of the barn cats got in a fight and found himself at the vet on Saturday morning, thanks to one of our enabling boarder friends. But she had to leave, and cat needed to be picked up and brought home with someone after his surgery, because it was winter and he couldn’t just go back to the barn with drains and stitches and all that. So I picked him up from the vet. And brought him home, “to stay in the basement away from our other cats,” so he could be nursed back to health and returned to the barn. And he’s still living at our house, four months later, bff’s with our other two boy cats, happily watching the world go by from the cat tree in the kitchen…

Very sweet move.

When I was in high school one day, I was playing hookie from school, down at the local pet store where I would buy a lot of pet stuff. And they had this black kitten who was “too old to sell”. They asked me if I wanted him. I walked home from there with this shy black cat crying into the crook of my arm the whole way. I named him Emanon (No name) and kept him for 17 years until he died from kidney disease. This cat was something really special to me.

I miss him still. So much.

StGermain, I have no idea where you live, but man… can I move in with you??? LOL! Beautiful!

[QUOTE=Highflyer;8137240]

I found a cat in the road last night. It was late and dark and I thought it might have been hit, so I just took it home with me. It appears to be fine (it has trashed my bathroom, though) so now I’m off to post fliers and knock on doors. Fingers crossed that she is someone’s pet.[/QUOTE]

I have decided to cut myself off until I have a job and no longer have to live with a roommate. But black cats are kinda my thing, so I will probably continue to build the family tree!

TSC, Chick Days, I go in for shavings, have to look in the chick bins–just cannot pass them. In one of the Bantam bins are two little white chicks of a different breed from the rest, one that was very sickly, I was quite sure would die if left there. So, I had to take it despite what I thought was pretty low odds of survival, and at TSC you must take 6 chicks. So I got six chicks and took them home, setup the nursery and gave attention to the chick (had terrible pasty butt).

Anyway, not only did the little chick live but turned out to be a rooster, and so did 3 other chicks. Yup, I only got 2 hens out of that deal. They turned a year old last month.

I have been able to resist - well, so far…How do I do I do it, you ask? I run away the minute anyone starts with "I have this ______________ (fill in blank). That way if I don’t hear it, I can’t be tempted. :lol:

I have a friend that works for KFC and someone left a box of chickens at the base of the drive-thru order area. Guess who went home with her. I always have to wonder about that. What did they think was going to happen to the chickens?

Preposterous Ponies - LOVE your story.

StGermain - so far I think you are the winner here.:yes:

[QUOTE=propspony;8138199]
StGermain, I have no idea where you live, but man… can I move in with you??? LOL! Beautiful![/QUOTE]

Propspony - I live in Tennessee. Best thing is, the 14 acres and house were dead cheap. And I saved the house from someone who just wanted to knock it down and put a McMansion up.

StG