Unlimited access >

Open sided run in shed

As usual…winter hits and I realize I should have made more improvements. Least I got the fence done.
Anyway, howling wind on a hilltop, the old very nice shed attached to the barn is located under the huge old, dying maple and ash trees, and on the daily route taken by the deer, bears, coyotes, etc. It is Not popular, they tolerate the area for feeding and handling if I am there but otherwise leave. I cannot build a permanent structure anywhere else due to reasons out of my control. But, I think I could make a case for a portable, on skids, shed for winter use.
I suspect the horses will not use a three sided run in and making that big enough to be safe for three (two drafts and a pony) makes it difficult to move, but has anyone had experience with a two sided shed? I’m really looking only for a portable wind break. What I am envisioning is a shed with the north and west walls enclosed, and open on the other two sides. On skids so I can reposition it. Insane? I know the open side post is going to be a framing challenge, since it will have to handle being turned into a rubbing post by draft horses.

I have a two sided run in, so there is less chance of boss mare cornering other horses.
When I talked to a structural engineer about making it not a permanent structure he laughed at me. He said we would have to so over build it, so it would not blow over that we would be much better off just spending the time and money sinking posts, so that is what we ended up doing.

I wonder if a new run in will be anymore popular than what you have now?

2 Likes

How big is your shed? The cornering aspect is also a concern for me.
I’ve got a ready and free supply of lumber (we have a sawmill) and steel, so it isn’t a problem to overbuild it. I am concerned about the ground frame being a tripping hazard, but I think that is me overthinking it. It has to be portable since it cannot be in the field between April and Thanksgiving. (viewshed issue with the property) In the summer the horses are in a different area, so I don’t need it during that time.
Honestly, I have no idea if it would be more popular. If it isn’t, it isn’t. But, I could put it on the open field rather than against the south hedgerow (the barnyard area), which would mean no trees and no bears/deer. For two logging horses, my boys sure hate trees…

built it as a triangle … if there is no need for four walls why build a rectangle

2 Likes

Good point! Back to the drawing board

Because the sellers of our farm removed all the sheds and left us with nothing, my only shelter in the pasture at the moment is a $1000 metal carport from Lowes. We plan on putting plywood on it as a windbreak (it’s on the list with a million other projects as the plywood gathers dust in the garage). Hopefully that won’t turn it into a kite.

Maybe that would work for you?

Eventually we will rebuild proper sheds, but it will hold us over until the “to do” list is more under control.

My run in is 40’ X 10’ with both ends open. I don’t want any of my horses to be cornered and prefer 2 open sides. I have found that the horses themselves won’t use a shed if they feel uncomfortable, like they might be cornered.

I have had a shed that had 2 10’ X 10’ three sided stalls, but had only 2-3 horses in that area. The 2 less dominant shared 1 side, but I also did not have an aggressive alpha horse at the time. There was not any fighting over space, more just a pinning of ears. The horse that is my alpha now can be meanly aggressive and I do not want anyone trapped by him.

My horses, and many others in this area, live in open sided carports, they can work great. Mine is wind-engineered (hurricanes). I built half walls on the 2 long sides with pallets & plywood. Horses love it, they like surveying their kingdom over the tops of the walls. I did get the stronger grade steel for the core carport structure so it would withstand leaning & butt rubbing. Been up 8 years so far, multiple crazy storms, no issues.

Just be sure to measure correctly: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4175BA79-CAB0-435F-8EB7-A4B08F555E7D_4_5005_c

3 Likes

You may want to check Strokemaster’s web site for ideas, some of those may fit what you are looking for with their screens.

We have several portable sheds and those, in our windy country, are set in place attached to posts or chains concreted in the ground.
A portable shed standing in the open without being attached to something won’t stay in place.

If you just need a wind break, why build a roof? A stockade fence will do it. They’re frequently seen in places with far worse weather to provide shelter for stock, no reason that won’t work here.

You can even find portable versions: https://realtuff.com/windbreak-panels/

2 Likes

KS Linn Systems sell 24’ heavy duty panels with detachable legs for windbreaks you can use any place, add your own wood or metal to them, this one with sheet metal attached, would use heavy metal sheeting or wood for horses, not the lighter metal.

Strong wind may move those around a bit, but will still be close to where you put them:

@simkie…because I am horrible at thinking outside of the box! Good point!
@bluey yes, I could definitely have that problem with the boys!! I have fit them in the barn, but only under duress. And they aren’t even That Big for modern Shires.

All of you using metal roof/walls, please make sure to cover the metal edges. They are like knives against skin.

1 Like

Which is why most people do not use them for walls where horse’s have access to them unless they are fully backed (so a kick is not likely to go thru).

1 Like

@Tarlo_Farm I wouldn’t use metal in this instance, if only because I have unlimited free lumber. :grinning: But, yes a good reminder on metal.
Sort of leaning towards just a windbreak fence at this point.

1 Like

I would hope that would be common sense 101. Then again, the number of people who have barns and sheds with exposed edges and unlined metal walls is shocking.

2 Likes

Drill holes and put the mobile home anchors down in it? We have a 3 sided 3 bay carport as my barn. Put channel and wood 5ft up all the way around. Probably the same channel and wood idea would work for yours as well and if you use treated wood say 4ft up and then plywood it would add some weight to it. :slight_smile:

A simple windbreak could be made using round bales. These would need to be located at a corner of the pasture just outside the fence. Stack two bales with a third on top ( ,all laid sideways), a second row beside and a third set at right angles to form other wall. Come Spring you can either feed these bales or, if not of sufficient quality, sell to a farmer who can use them for other animals. Mesh wrapped holds up a bit better than string tied bales.

1 Like

Hmmm, interesting thought!