Unlimited access >

Opinion of Michael Phelps from :( to :)

[QUOTE=ynl063w;8791333]
Are you saying that you believe Olympic medals should be awarded based on who works the hardest? So, let’s not even bother holding the Olympics, we can just form a committee every four years where someone follows each athlete around for the entire year and records the time each one spends training, and the one who logs the most hours wins? Would that ensure that the winner of every gold medal actually DESERVES it?[/QUOTE]

Good lord. No reason to yell.
Also, overboard much?

[QUOTE=PeteyPie;8791426]

What I don’t like is hearing criticisms of people’s appearances, that is, innate things over which they have little or no control, whether it is Michael Phelps, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, the Obamas, Ted Cruz… It seems mean, juvenile, and irrelevant, AND it detracts from discussion about the merits of a person’s behavior or performance.[/QUOTE]

This i totally agree with. I hate it when people mock what people have no control over. Calling someone ape like is not a nice thing to do.

The only thing I know about Phelps is that he is a swimmer who has won tons of medals. Kudos to him for being an amazing talent. What I don’t get is the comment above about his training only three times a week. Does this somehow make him unworthy of his medals? To be so successful, he is clearly a stellar athlete, AND it’s incredible that he trains that infrequently (if true). It makes me wonder how he’d do if he trained five days a week. :wink:

In neuroscience and psychology- nervous/inappropriate laughter is a real thing.

The trigger may have been the above mentioned “O’s” reference but my guess is any thing may have tipped it. It is how some people deal with an influx of emotions/situation. People crying at funerals is really no different, just a different and more common/socially acceptable release of emotions.

His friends traveled from Baltimore and New York to Rio. They used an inside joke, not meaning to disrespect a nation but to show support. He may have thought it was hilarious, it may have been an emotion overload. Either way, he didn’t mean disrespect. It isn’t like he burned a flag for crying out loud.

Hand over heart, perhaps a lawyer can direct to a better link:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8790799]
Well, right there is a lot of what is wrong with this country.

Anyone else remember the guy who got the flack for raising his fist during the medal ceremony back in the '60s? These bad manners are nothing compared to that, but they’re still bad manners.[/QUOTE]

YOU thinking that raising a gloved fist at that Olympics was “bad manners” is a whole lot of what is wrong this country right now.

He doesn’t have to train a certain way, doesn’t he? I don’t get all this personal bashing that has been going on for years. I wonder if it’s some sort of jealousy or trying to get him to fit some mold???

People need to focus on more important things, if you ask me. who cares?

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8789093]
Laughing and sticking out his tongue during the National Anthem. That’s it for him in my opinion. :mad:

He has previously looked like an ape when he cheers for himself. He made a monkey of himself just now on the podium.

What is he doing at the Olympics? Winning medals, duh. But the Olympics are supposed to be about good sportsmanship, and he doesn’t have it. I’d rather have class on my team.[/QUOTE]

David O’Connor chewed gum. Done with him, too??

[QUOTE=suzy;8792512]
The only thing I know about Phelps is that he is a swimmer who has won tons of medals. Kudos to him for being an amazing talent. What I don’t get is the comment above about his training only three times a week. Does this somehow make him unworthy of his medals? To be so successful, he is clearly a stellar athlete, AND it’s incredible that he trains that infrequently (if true). It makes me wonder how he’d do if he trained five days a week. ;)[/QUOTE]

It’s not the infrequency. It’s the fact that he put his sport on the back burner, treated it like it didn’t matter to him any more, and then went to the Olympics knowing he wasn’t at his best. The point of the olympics is the best of the best competing against each other. He wasn’t at his best in 2012. And yet he still went. I think that wasn’t the right thing to do. Now is he, or the US Olympic committee to blame for that? I’m not sure. But I do think it is pretty disappointing.
Oh and he trains like 6 days? A week now. You will be able to see! :slight_smile:
I really suggest watching his latest interview. He talks about his struggles and 2012.

He’s not my favorite but then neither was Mark Spitz (sp?). But he’s a phenom in the pool. I just hope it’s natural talent and not drugs. The bong just had grass in it, I guess.

[QUOTE=StormyDay;8792780]
It’s not the infrequency. It’s the fact that he put his sport on the back burner, treated it like it didn’t matter to him any more, and then went to the Olympics knowing he wasn’t at his best. The point of the olympics is the best of the best competing against each other. He wasn’t at his best in 2012. And yet he still went. I think that wasn’t the right thing to do. Now is he, or the US Olympic committee to blame for that? I’m not sure. But I do think it is pretty disappointing.
Oh and he trains like 6 days? A week now. You will be able to see! :slight_smile:
I really suggest watching his latest interview. He talks about his struggles and 2012.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think any of us are in a position to judge how an Olympic athlete trains. We have no idea what kind of pressure they are under, from fans, family, friends, coaches, national organizations, and sponsors. He admitted that he hit rock bottom, that he lost he love for the sport. Yet he still won multiple medals in 2012. IMO he deserved to be there.
The Canadian commentators (Canadian coaches) have repeatedly brought up the fact that Phelps is way more involved in Rio then any of his previous games. He’s team captain, he’s socializing with his teammates, he’s actually having fun this time around.
I don’t get why everyone is bashing him, I guess they’re jealous…I personally, would love to meet him.

[QUOTE=SendenHorse;8792688]
He doesn’t have to train a certain way, doesn’t he? I don’t get all this personal bashing that has been going on for years. I wonder if it’s some sort of jealousy or trying to get him to fit some mold???

People need to focus on more important things, if you ask me. who cares?[/QUOTE]

Good post. They are athletes, not evangelists. How about we let the athletes hold the critics up to the same standards?

generally speaking - MJ with the ‘grass’ in it usually slows people down and cuts done on motivation …Phelps does not seem to race any less brilliantly.
Evidenced by Ross Robagliati at the Japan Winter Games when he pulled off a Gold medal in the first ever snowboard competition.

Just cut it out, folks. Qualifying for the Games does not come with a charm school requirement. He deserves our respect. Elite sport is difficult and he’s in the pool racing hard almost every day.

[QUOTE=StormyDay;8792780]
I really suggest watching his latest interview. He talks about his struggles and 2012.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that US swimmers have to QUALIFY for the Olympics? Which means they compete at the national Olympic trials event and IF they finish in the top 2 spots for the event then they get to go (top 4 for relays), not just because they want to go or did well in the previous games? Michael Phelps earned his spot in every Olympics that he has participated in. To say “he wasn’t at his best in 2012 and yet he still went” has me SMH…he was one of the top two in qualifying for the US, end of story.

Not sure why everyone expects athletic talent to automatically come with being a better person than everyone else. Those with fame do need to realize they’ll be scrutinized but talent does mean you wont make mistakes others make.

Ryan lochte was known as a huge party boy in Gainesville. Nobody seems to care too much about that compared to Phelps doing what’s now legal in more than 1 state.

[QUOTE=kmwines01;8793202]
Ryan lochte was known as a huge party boy in Gainesville. Nobody seems to care too much about that compared to Phelps doing what’s now legal in more than 1 state.[/QUOTE]

Since I generally pay attention… I assume smoking pot which is yes, legal in 25 (I think it is) states and still illegal according to the Feds.

[QUOTE=GoodTimes;8792799]
I don’t think any of us are in a position to judge how an Olympic athlete trains. We have no idea what kind of pressure they are under, from fans, family, friends, coaches, national organizations, and sponsors. He admitted that he hit rock bottom, that he lost he love for the sport. Yet he still won multiple medals in 2012. IMO he deserved to be there.
The Canadian commentators (Canadian coaches) have repeatedly brought up the fact that Phelps is way more involved in Rio then any of his previous games. He’s team captain, he’s socializing with his teammates, he’s actually having fun this time around.
I don’t get why everyone is bashing him, I guess they’re jealous…I personally, would love to meet him.[/QUOTE]

I think you guys have misunderstood the point of this whole thread. It is for us to sit around an gossip like bored catty housewives! :lol: If you don’t want to gossip with us you don’t have to!

[QUOTE=StormyDay;8791921]
Good lord. No reason to yell.
Also, overboard much?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are new to the internet, so I will politely let you know that an entire paragraph of writing with one word in all capital letters does not equal “yelling”.

Additionally, it’s not such a great idea to accuse someone who has posted one response to you as going “overboard”, when you have written multiple posts on the thread repeating a single opinion in response to multiple posters who agree with the person you accused of “yelling”. In other words, you might want to consider the fact that you are the one who is going overboard on this subject.

The Olympics has always been about which individual is the best at each sport (substitute “team” for “individual” where applicable). It has never been a contest of who works the hardest, and nobody cares how many hours any given athlete puts in as preparation for the Olympics. That is exactly how it should be.

[QUOTE=NEEDS A NAP;8791300]

And before you start commenting on what occurred during the Mexico City Games - get a freaking clue. That wasn’t just some guys putting their fists into the air - it was a well thought out, planned, they knew what the consequences would be for their actions, seminal moment in Olympic history .[/QUOTE]

they also explained to the Australian Bronze medalist what they were going to do prior to the ceremony. (if I remember correctly he smuggled their gloves into the stadium, then surreptiously (sp?) handed said gloves over while behind the podium)

historic moment.

I’m sure Phelps is just gutted about losing the OPs following.

[QUOTE=NEEDS A NAP;8791300]
Calling Michael Phelps a monkey is just !!

No words. And all this heart clutching during the anthem is beyond me…some say it started with Nixon. I have a personal theory it started when country music took over the intro to Monday night football, and announcers started directing people to stand with their hands over their hearts during the anthem.

And before you start commenting on what occurred during the Mexico City Games - get a freaking clue. That wasn’t just some guys putting their fists into the air - it was a well thought out, planned, they knew what the consequences would be for their actions, seminal moment in Olympic history .[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the excellent summary. Your insightful words are quoted, as they should be.
Glad I’m not the only one who didn’t find the raised fist “bad manners”.

I was a CHILD and I knew what was happening.

OP, how old were you when the minor uproar happened over the Black Power salute at the Olympics? My (staunchly conservative and very intelligent) Dad didn’t even complain in '68.

I can’t help but wonder if you have only read about it, or if you were told by your parents that it was “bad manners” at the time, or if you heard on television the opinion that it was "bad manners"or if you were a kid and just didn’t get it?

I am curious, not looking to argue.

[QUOTE=Thylacine;8793447]
they also explained to the Australian Bronze medalist what they were going to do prior to the ceremony. (if I remember correctly he smuggled their gloves into the stadium, then surreptiously (sp?) handed said gloves over while behind the podium)

historic moment.

I’m sure Phelps is just gutted about losing the OPs following.[/QUOTE]

:yes::yes::yes: 

I don’t remember the details. I was young, but I remember the sight of them standing there, with dignity, no fooling around, and I will never forget it.