Opinion of Michael Phelps from :( to :)

Do most Olympians stick around? I know Phillip and Boyd were home in time to ride at an event this wee Ked. AFAIK most, if not all, of the eventers and dressage riders left shortly after their competitions ended.

Some athletes who were competing the next day missed the opening ceremonies even though they were in Rio. They did not need to stand for 12 hours while hanging around and having a late night.

Sometimes, athletes are not expected to be in Rio until close to their competitions for logistical reasons - accommodation for one.

Phelps looked exhausted - he admitted as much.
After preparing for the Games etc., he had spent too little time with his family and I don’t blame him for heading home to peace and quiet.
He had had an extraordinary amount of times in the pool and an extraordinary successful Games.

Bravo Michael.

http://e.lvme.me/6j4ko0x.jpg

Four years ago, a friend competed in the marathon at the London Games. She was actually barred by her country from participating in the opening ceremonies. Essentially, she was locked up until she ran her race. Then she was allowed to check stuff out.

[QUOTE=Raymundo;8802750]
Honestly, I think this is a bit off base? I don’t know exactly what day he arrived in Rio, but he carried the flag in the opening ceremonies on August 5, swam in his first event on August 7 and his final event on August 13, arrived home on August 17-- four days after his final event, and the Games don’t close until the 21st–four days from now. Sure doesn’t seem like he just did the bare minimum to me… The Olympics didn’t “give” him his medals, he WON them by swimming his rear off, again. To whom does he owe more of his and his family’s time?

As was pointed out by Tiger Horse, he is far from the only athlete to go home when their events were over. I don’t think I would want to stay and vacation in Rio with my little baby after all the stories of conditions there. By the way, Michael Jung who won eventing gold for Germany is also ALREADY home and participating in parades celebrating his win. Shouldn’t he have stayed in Rio?

This just seems a bit over the top to me.[/QUOTE]

Lots of athletes (Velagro) are at home.

What a self involved attitude to pass such trivial judgment on a person who is accomplished so much. The internet never ceases to disappointment me, it has amazing potential for people to share knowledge and it has turned into a playground for keyboard bullies and self appointed experts.
I would be ecstatic if the day ever comes when such a trivial matter becomes worth the effort of even mentioning in the face of everything else that should be discussed.

Y’all haters leave Michael Phelps alone. He gets a pass from me just because he’s got a baby there. Anyone with a baby still at the breastfeeding/in diapers, two naps a day stage (which he is) gets to go home the second they feel done. Just for the simple reason that travelling with babies at that age is a nightmare! (seriously you can’t pack enough diapers to get you through 2 weeks, and try finding time to get somewhere to buy those Huggies in Rio) It’s a high crime city yes, there is Zika (and this is a man who has said he wants a baby girl, who knows, maybe they want to get on with celebrating a successful retirement by making one. But you know the other thing that comes to mind? Now that he’s home, he is out of the spotlight. Now, NBC has to go cover someone else, now those other athletes can have their moments in the spotlight that they also deserve. He’s actually done a nice thing whether he knows it or not, he’s had his Olympic experience, now no one at the closing ceremony has to stand in his shadow.

It sounds like you are not done with Michael Phelps based on how much energy you’re putting into being mad at him for things that virtually everyone else agrees is trivial.

On a different note, for those who mentioned the bronze medalist at the Olympics where “the guy raised his fist,” here’s a piece about him. I personally tend to forget about him and found it fascinating, moving, and sad: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/

You can at least be glad he was not partying with his teammates and was doing dad things at least!

He sure is smart for missing that train wreck.

[QUOTE=izzy98;8803817]
It sounds like you are not done with Michael Phelps based on how much energy you’re putting into being mad at him for things that virtually everyone else agrees is trivial.

On a different note, for those who mentioned the bronze medalist at the Olympics where “the guy raised his fist,” here’s a piece about him. I personally tend to forget about him and found it fascinating, moving, and sad: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/[/QUOTE]

That is a cool article, thanks for sharing it. I am glad they went to his funeral.

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8802814]
I do! The closing ceremonies in London were fantastic!

But ok…so most of the athletes that are week 1 events don’t hang around the 2nd week until the closing ceremonies.

Rackonteur - are you also infuriated that the equestrian show jumping teams were not there for the opening ceremonies? Because most of them (US, Canada, etc) didn’t arrive in Rio until around August 8. Charlotte DuJardin is leaving tomorrow. (gasp how dare she go home after they gave her a gold medal?!?!) You are being ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Of course one wants to get children and animals home to bed and to pasture. Those are special cases.

Otherwise, when invited to dinner it is polite to stay for dessert.

And speaking of ridiculous, if I had been the one who posted this earlier in this thread I’d have come back and changed it:

Frankly, given the crime, I’m not sure why anyone would want to spend one unnecessary second in Rio. Lochte was robbed at gunpoint just a few days ago.

Right, and he left early! :lol:

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8806729]
Of course one wants to get children and animals home to bed and to pasture. Those are special cases.[/QUOTE]

But Michael Phelps, father of a three month old son, isn’t included in your idea of a special case?

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8806729]
Of course one wants to get children and animals home to bed and to pasture. Those are special cases.

Otherwise, when invited to dinner it is polite to stay for dessert.

And speaking of ridiculous, if I had been the one who posted this earlier in this thread I’d have come back and changed it:

Right, and he left early! :lol:[/QUOTE]

This is getting silly. I think we are being punk’d :yes: On NBC yesterday morning there was a whole segment showing athletes from all different sports returning home to great fanfare at various airports. There have been Facebook posts showing other athletes from all different countries returning home as well. Clearly Michael Phelps rubs you the wrong way, but he’s not done anything rude, dishonorable or un-Olympian by returning home before the closing ceremonies and he’s in, dare I say, Olympic level company. Again, this isn’t someone’s party he was invited to–he trained and earned his way there and was dominant in his sport. The idea that he owes the masses a trick pony performance now seems kind of Roman gladiator-like and weird. I’m sure there are other reasons to dislike him if that floats your boat! :lol:

I don’t get why you continue to double down and try to defend your dislike of you. You realize he has a baby right? I believe his son is about 6 months old. He seems to have gotten his life together, unlike his bff Lochte. He’s has some issues in the past but he seems to really have his life on track.

There’s no place like home.

It’s the Olympics, not a vacation at a luxury resort. As famous as he is, at home, he probably does not have cameras following him around all the time and commenting on his facial expressions. Or whether his adherence to a timetable is a reflection on his character.

Given his past problems and the incident with Lochte I think this was a wise move for Phelps to leave. He undoubtedly knew that once the events were over that some athletes would get into serious partying. Hopefully he has left that behind and learned from his issues.

I agree with you MsM. I think Michael Phelps has grown up, gives back to his community, and the sport of swimming, and I hope moves forward with his family, and his charity work. Lochte is still acting like a spoiled teenager, and I hope to never hear from him again, and I personally doubt he will end up more than a sad footnote on a ‘Whatever Happened To’ show someday.

I’m guessing, but if Phelps was in the village he was probably longing for a cuddle and returning to nights with his loved ones after ‘camp’.

[QUOTE=izzy98;8803817]

On a different note, for those who mentioned the bronze medalist at the Olympics where “the guy raised his fist,” here’s a piece about him. I personally tend to forget about him and found it fascinating, moving, and sad: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/olympics-norman-black-power/[/QUOTE]

I’ve never heard this story, or if I did I completely forgot. All three of those men are heroes!

[QUOTE=MsM;8807023]
Given his past problems and the incident with Lochte I think this was a wise move for Phelps to leave. He undoubtedly knew that once the events were over that some athletes would get into serious partying. Hopefully he has left that behind and learned from his issues.[/QUOTE]

I am very serious about my partying. I find casual partying completely unsatisfying and ineffectual. And I’m not young.

Not that anyone cares, but now that the Olympics are over and the family is back home I have been totally converted. The man and his partner and son and dogs speak for themselves. Love speaks for them too.