Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

In a filthy stall. This is horrifying.

I am not on facebook or any other social media, but I hope that COTH members who are, will send these images far and wide along with the full name of this woman.

I can’t remember her name. What is it?

13 Likes

KATHRYN SHEARER is her name. She breeds some version of DHH.

KATHRYN SHEARER, braider and dog breeder.

16 Likes

Is Kathryn Shearer also known as Kate Shearer or am I misremembering?

18 Likes

You’re remembering correctly.

2 Likes

This is awful, awful, awful. That stall :frowning_face: And poop on the fetus…

6 Likes

Thank you.

So, it’s Kathryn Shearer also known as Kate Shearer.

2 Likes

Ah right Kate Shearer is also Kathryn Shearer

1 Like

She also claimed she sold the egg donor mare. She didn’t.

7 Likes

This makes me so angry.

1 Like

Wandered over here from dressage-land just to say what the actual f—?

I’ve noticed mares in some photos not looking all that great, but this takes the cake.

Plus the poor mare with her aborted foal in a disgusting stall of sorts.

Honestly, you’d have to be pretty damn naive to support (buy from) someone like this.

17 Likes

This is from a video Kate posted showing the foal in question “in good condition” before she left. Nothing about this foal looks healthy. This is not just foal fuglies. This is horrifying.

Edited to add, she turns the foal out like that. With a lead rope tied around it’s neck :flushed: imagine paying $25k for a foal and the breeder turns it out like that. I cannot even with this whole situation.

37 Likes

Kate who prides herself on sneering at others and being so very superior to all… has NO excuse for this. None. Zero. That is not 12 days of poor feeding - it is a lot longer… unfreakingbelievable and despicable.

And of course you blame it on an alleged “new hire”. Because of course you are not properly managing your herd and your high dollar foals that you grift off on people. Because it will always be somebody else’s fault.

That is not the way this works. That is not how any of this works… and I have managed breeding farms for 30 years.

I just brought the herd here into their stalls from the rainy pasture… and they are happily munching on their dinner after a good roll in the shavings to dry off and get the itches out. Even wet, well-breaded and scruffy, the weanlings and the one yearling look nothing like this poor filly. Nor does the 31 year old long-retired brood mare. They actually have a topline and a butt. They have not been STARVED. I explained to them how lucky they are that they are not $$,$$$ fancy-DHH-potential-grand-prix-jumper-weaners - where the $$,$$$ is obviously not going into their care - based on the evidence at hand and the predictable protestations.

33 Likes

That’s not a 25k foal. Sheesh.

I mean, I have a youngster that’s lived in fugsville on and off, but that’s beyond foal fuglies, IMO.

25 Likes

One has to wonder in what condition are all the other foals she’s bred this year. Kate Shearer is obviously unable to afford to board them properly and doesn’t care enough to check on them.

IMHO, it’s a horrible, unprofessional, money grubbing racket that Kate Shearer has created, and she calls it a “breeding program”.

25 Likes

Exactly. It’s poor nutrition since in utero.

What makes it even more unfreakingbelievable and despicable is this is the same woman who crows about the glorious alfalfa she buys here in Arizona and then ships to Florida for resale. The implication being that she’s feeding that glorious alfalfa to her own horses, in adequate amounts. I’d laugh if it weren’t so tragically sad.

She came from this state. I had heard many a story about her. It now appears they were all true.

23 Likes

On one of the threads she posted that this foal was the only one looking like this because she lived inside and only went outside with a lead rope tied around her neck in a big loop necklace because she jumps the fence. I am totally horrified at the concept of an 8 month old foal receiving what sounds like an hour max of turnout per day. She also does not feed concentrate feed and said the filly was getting 16 lb of alfalfa per day to keep her thin to avoid OCD. As the kind of whacko who hired a phd nutritionist to help me develop my yearling’s feed ration, keeping them skinny actually is more likely to cause joint/cartilage issues, and feeding just alfalfa, no concentrate is not recommended by anyone to my knowledge. Add in 23 hours a day in the stall, I don’t even want to think what kind of condition this poor foal’s legs are in. But keeping it thin is where we draw the line for joint health. FFS.

37 Likes

I will say, it is not unique to this poster. I went to a fancy Dutch breeding facility and they did to EVERY SINGLE HORSE. It was MADDENING. Like, I would be walking up to pet over a gate and here came the owner, swinging a leadline or lunge whip. Like. The fuck? Weird that their broodies were all shy :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Again, more proof she has no idea how to properly manage her horses. Who leaves foals and weanlings in the stall?! If your weanling is jumping fences, you thank your lucky stars that it might have some talent and build a taller fence! And keeping them SKINNY? On purpose?! Dear lord, get this woman away from horses.

13 Likes

Babies who are fed alfalfa without balancing the calcium and phosphorus levels are pretty much screwed. I knew someone who fed their really nicely bred WBs nothing but free choice alfalfa in round bales and they were all stunted for life. A Popeye K that barely broke into the 15 hand range etc

25 Likes

In my opinion, the foal was jumping the fence because it was starving.

13 Likes