Unlimited access >

Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Huh. That’s going to be stuck in my head for a while. Lol.

4 Likes

I’ve had a few. My current mare (who is well mentioned here in the spay thread) is a registered KWPN DHH. I tend to stay in the KWPN DHH registry as at least there you know the breeding… some of the young stock for ADHHA I’ve seen have had hackney or standardbred in there which is fine as long as you know what your getting.

They tend to be tighter over their backs than the WB but I would say similar to a TB to get through. Once truly thru they can be as competitive as a regular WB.

Of the many I know, they also tend to me more visually reactive vs sound reactive. But not any more spooky than any other horse.

Since I used to jump and now do dressage I do pick mine out for their canter. I’d also say that mine have not been fast horses… of course the canter I’m looking for is for loft and not an eventing horse gallop and jump, so there is that.

Couple of pics of my girl.

11 Likes

I’ve been around a fair amount of DHH and DHH crosses, most of which were not bred for sport.

In general, the DHH that were brought to the US, ~20 years ago were TOUGH. Once they were broke, they were OK, but getting there wasn’t easy.

The “American” DHH or DHH crosses are a lot easier to get along with.

Some harness horses make great jumpers.
Halla (winner of 3 Olympic Gold medals in show jumping) was a cross between a Standardbred and a French Trotter.

4 Likes

Oh no, you guys don’t want any of the DHH. Trust me. Just give them all to me instead.

2 Likes

Hey long time stalker! It’s weird being loved and impulsively followed so closely from a random person! Glad you are getting to enjoy my amazing foals!!! Here are the 2023 but well out of your budget. Have a good day.

Oh dear. Every one, I have been so good not bringing anything to this thread recently, not the endless drama, cursing out horse people, threatening to quit the horse bidness becuz nobuddy luvs meeee etc. Oh and yes, her plans to qualify as a clinical social worker or some such thing.

Anyhow some nice harness prospects here.

32 Likes

Qfp

8 Likes

No, you have to screen shot it.

1 Like

Are these the foals from the unproven DHH mare that you bred out the wazoo and are now selling? I hope you find that poor mare a great home since you won’t retire her yourself. She deserves it.

28 Likes

Well, this took a turn … LOL

6 Likes

Not again!

11 Likes

That first baby just wants to trot. And the whip cracking like it’s a flipping tiger in the circus just made me feel a bit sorry for the little guy.

The second baby at least would canter, but with little animation and jump. Again with the crackety smack whip action.

The last baby tooling around is the most apt to canter, but there is nothing special about him. He seems kind about the whole ordeal.

I don’t grasp wanting big dollars for harness type colts out of unproven stock when one hasn’t even bothered to showcase them well with good orientation to free lungeing.

44 Likes

Why would anyone train a 5 month old to free lunge? I like the raw footage. Funny thing is the one you said is ehhh ok was the 2022 Kwpn reserve champion jumper foal out of all the keurings. So maybe, just maybe, what your eye is telling you might be the opposite of all these higher ups that do know what they are looking for lol :joy: this is great

She’s 9 years old and has only carried one foal. Why does she need to be retired?

Oh scribbler. I love how closely you follow me. It’s creepy but I do feel honored with how stalkerish you get. Weird obsession and I hope to goodness you never go full serial killer but for now it’s only flattering you follow me so closely.

I have become rather a connoisseur of COTH trainwreck threads and this particular one is clearly the gift that keeps on giving.

51 Likes

Lol, you have said this many times. Have any of your foals been proven in actual sport? Have any of your mares been proven in sport? Are there any other accomplishments of your breeding program other than a foal doing well at a keuring? Do you realize how little keurings actually predict the success of a horse?

I’m referring to the mare you have for sale on FB. You have her listed stating she has had multiple foals. You have photos of multiple foals attached. You say you acquired her at 4 so it appears you have bred her since she was 4 years old. Do you honestly believe the process of collecting embryos counts for nothing? Regardless if you used a surrogate or not, the mare has given you many years of breeding. I’m wondering where an unproven DHH mare that has no riding career is going to go? I hope she finds a soft landing.

27 Likes

She was sold as a riding horse actually. And she had 4 foals over 6 years. She’s 10 years old. The oldest is owned by an actor in California and is now getting under saddle at 4 coming 5. Here is video. The rest are younger. Well you are on my fb so the one lunging in the roundpen with a saddle is the oldest one. Won’t let me attach here. Entering the hunter ring soon actually. I’m only selling the mare as I’m keeping her imothep filly. But thanks for so closely watching. A prime 10yo mare that is 100% sound for riding and could have another baby if someone seems is not a throw away horse. She sold for five figures.

As are you. I wonder if in 20 years you will still be stalking me? I’ve literally never had someone so obsessed with me before. It’s humorous but again flattering so thank you for that boost. Please do keep following me!