Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I’ve said this before in the thread about famous bloodlines, but my current horse has 1.60+m, Olympic/WEG bloodlines on both sides (Balou er du Rouet and Cumano) and we’ve shown up to 1.10, schooled up to 1.20. Soundness issues holding us up.

Regarding the OP, we have a DHH in my barn and every single person loves riding/jumping him. Unconventional way of going, but goes clean and everyone has fun doing it. He’s shown up to 1m I think and is the perfect kid horse. We need 10 more.

4 Likes

Do you know how many celebrated babies go on to do nothing?

99% of them. #TheGreenMonkey is the most infamous.

It takes very little effort to orient babies to free lungeing. It’s certainly easier to violently crack a whip and physically lunge at them like a predator.

33 Likes

Your foals are nice. They’d have to be a hell of a lot nicer for me to want to put up with you for 5 minutes.

62 Likes

I saw the mare for sale on my feed. If you think I’m “stalking your page,” you’ll be sorely disappointed.

BTW, most people take the for sale ad down once the horse is sold. You might consider it.

23 Likes

Last weekend I went with a friend to see a sale horse at the barn of a former Olympian/national team member. Her homebreds have competed successfully at the highest levels of eventing. She was warm, gracious, straightforward about the horse, didn’t blow her own horn (didn’t need to), and didn’t sh*t-talk everyone else in the business.

You can be successful without being an a-hole.

67 Likes

I don’t shit talk a single other breeder at all. But I love how scribbler just can’t help but stall me and post constantly about me. But no I have good relations with other breeders and don’t speak poorly of them at all.

All three of them move with trailing hindlegs, so a big loss of engagement. The last one has a nice cadence, but is not balanced enough to keep from cross cantering and is disunited at times. Maybe it had a good day at the keuring, but it’s literally one day in his life. Agree about the frenzied chasing and whip slinging. It does not present a favorable picture on a sales video.

40 Likes

I agree.

The colts pictured are about the quality you would expect when crossing an unproven DHH mare with random well known stallions. The fact that the breeder thinks that they are worth more than 4 figures shows a lack of experience in breeding sporthorses, as well as a poor understanding of functional conformation.

34 Likes

I also think that the whip chasing, shown in the videos of the youngsters, is a very crude way to handle young stock. It shows (at best) a lack of knowledge and experience in young horse handling and (at worst) a disregard for the animals themselves.

I felt especially sorry for the colt who wanted to approach the people and was harshly chased away.

This is not the way to make a good sale video or to treat young horses.

Good conformation shots are not included and watching young horses being chased is not helpful for people to judge their gaits.

40 Likes

I must say I have never had anyone so obsessed with threads I’ve started that they keep re- opening zombie threads started by other people just to call me names. It’s interesting. Like I said, COTH trainwreck a-hurtling down the line.

24 Likes

Not Dutch. German.

10 Likes

Also not a fan of the frenzied chasing. The horses aren’t my type, but I can appreciate their good qualities while noting that they don’t seem to be shown to their best advantage in the videos. I rarely take dedicated movement videos of my weanlings, but when I do I try to be less threatening and more guiding. https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjR9BqCayi1XubaeA

Speaking to the original topic, I have seen some really cool DHH change from combined driving to low level eventing careers. It isn’t always a smooth transition, but the ones I saw had poor natural canters and took a lot of time & patience to develop. They seem like really cool, athletic horses though, and I wouldn’t discount an individual who has a better hind end than the typical driving type. They reminded me of big-boned, elastic, bouncy saddlebreds-- who can also be tidy, clean, careful jumpers, with an amount of scope that varies depending on the individual.

10 Likes

Thankfully, no one that I am aware of is breeding unproven Saddlebred mares with Warmblood jumper sires, marketing them as jumper prospects, and expecting people to pay more than 3 or 4 figures for the foals.

8 Likes

Wait - someone bred a DHH mare to De Niro to produce a jumper foal?

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot. :roll_eyes:

31 Likes

You’ve got to be dense to think that lol

Well, most good dressage horses have the ability to jump a bit. But agreed, why would you take the concept of breeding harness horses to dressage lines and hope for a hunter or jumper?

12 Likes

Do the stallion owners know or care about the mares their stallions are crossed with? For a famous stallion such as De Niro, is any pre-screening or approval involved? If the semen goes through a broker, even less tracking/accountability and the check just needs to clear? Are there still shenanigans with splitting straws, etc.especially if the foal is not going to a major registry?

Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious because this is something I’ve always wondered.

4 Likes

IM (rather limited) E- Sadly, if you buy from a broker, it’s just you send the money --> they send the semen. You can do whatever you want with it. “Pros”- the reasons @cardinale listed above, cons - no guarantees of anything, no LFG etc.

4 Likes

Because that was not the purpose of the breeding. I mean following me on fb so closely you should know that lol

People do buy and sell semen on line, even on FB. There’s a standard amount that is considered a “dose” but you can split that up and get multiple breedings from one “dose.” Perhaps it’s easier to make it go further if you are doing in vitro fertilization for recipient mares? Presumably there is some kind of documentation that follows this sperm around and it needs to be kept in freezers, so I’m assuming it stays with a repro vet under their custody while various breeders buy and sell it on FB.