Unlimited access >

Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Well that is the information she provided to her lawyers…

2 Likes

I believe this was answered somewhere already in these 2000 posts :laughing: but the answer is: it depends. Some of the stallions you pay the money = they send the semen. Some of them, yes you have to submit the mare’s “resume” beforehand. Maybe someone more experienced than I will chime in with if this depends on stallions success/ recognition/ deceased or not/ etc…

6 Likes

My impression is she says whatever she feels like to try to score a point in the moment. I wouldn’t worry about any of it being actually true.

23 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing…hmmmm…

2 Likes

Don’t worry about the semantics of business v. hobby. For IRS and legal purposes, there are clear definitions. However someone describes it on the Internet is not really relevant to that, nor is it going to be evidentiary.

12 Likes

We’ve had this question raised and answered several times before. It’s a very interesting situation and I learned a lot from the discussion!

The prevalence of frozen semen has created a secondary market where brokers sell semen and then the customers buy and sell it, store it for ages, etc. KS herself had a FB post up last fall when this particular crisis broke offering tubes and partial tubes of a number of big name WB stallions, some deceased, that she’d collected and stored.

The fact that she is using old frozen semen is one of the reasons she uses ICSI which is much more expensive. Also she can use a dose of semen intended for one breeding to create multiple foals.

The registries use DNA.

Anyhow yes, due to the WB owners marketing frozen sperm, most of it is out of their control now as to where it ends up. Also the stallion owners are often in Europe. So it might be harder to enforce contracts if they did exist.

Edited to add: here is a completely unrelated thread on the topic of buying random frozen semen.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah exactly.

1 Like

Like people don’t lie to their lawyers. Lol

You don’t get out of paying sakes tax and capital gains tax and income tax if you earn money off your hobby. On the other hand, if you are a business you can deduct expenses from profits which you can’t do as a hobby.

You can evade taxes whether it’s a formal business or a hobby by accepting cash or using Bitcoin. If your customers don’t demand a receipt proof of purchase or bill of sale. You can also give a receipt for less than the actual cash purchase if both parties agree.

Anyhow the hobby/ business split is irrelevant to tax fraud. But being a business confers so many legal and tax advantages like deductions of business expenses that almost everyone who can goes that route.

Having something formally registered as a business but describing it as a passion or even hobby (that is unrelated to main source of income) is not contradictory. How many folks with careers have “hobby farms” that they register as proper businesses so they can get the reduced farm tax by selling farmgate eggs and some hay off the back.acres? It’s still a hobby.

KS squirms and says whatever comes to mind, but this is not a big gotcha moment. However her track record since she left Arizona shows that whatever was said about her has been proven true over and over.

18 Likes

You know what makes me happy? The fact the THIRTY THOUSAND PEOPLE have seen this thread. This [edit] will probably not be in business/hobby/passion much longer. Praying hard, her horses land safely.

22 Likes

She can always find some skeezy trash farm with lowball prices in the back of nowhere to stash her broodmares. She’s got mares due in 2024 and she hasn’t followed through with her promise to do a herd dispersal and get out of the business so expect the show to move on up to another low cost of living area.

10 Likes

IDK, horse world is getting smaller and smaller for her to spread her wings yet again. We can only hope!!!

8 Likes

There is Horse World and then there are super low end farms that are not part of Horse World.

7 Likes

of course. le sigh. water does always seek its same level.

6 Likes

Hell a few years ago I had one with a terrible dystocia; backwards, presenting three feet, and possibly upside down (never did get confirmation on that). The mare, obviously badly injured, spent 2 weeks at the hospital fighting for her life with numerous injuries and infections, and still came home her delightfully plump self. Might have lost 20 pounds from the ordeal, which for a 1300 pound BCS of 6, was hardly noticeable. So no, that mare didn’t drop 200 pounds from a red bag delivery.

32 Likes

As long as you don’t sell the Bitcoin. The minute you sell, blammo - capital gains tax. If you sell immediately you can manage your gains and pay little to no tax. But that creates a paper trail. Anyway, tangent over. If you want to dodge the tax man, cash is still king.

1 Like

I think you can cash out the Bitcoin into an offshore investment haven :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please make paragraphs.
This Wall Of Words makes it hard to wade through what you write.

See? Like this…easy!

11 Likes

I mean, that’s great and all but it doesn’t change the fact that she still has a full braiding book of some of the best BNTs in the biz—and don’t think they don’t know about how her horses are kept and her personal dramas. Many just don’t care.

10 Likes