Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

So she was evicted from one farm in August 2023, then left a second farm under a cloud in fall 2023? Charming.

7 Likes

It seems that way, but itā€™s hard to make heads or tails of anything with her ranting and raving.

2 Likes

Iā€™d take that phrase to mean assisting the mare in foaling.
As in KS expected this person to be entirely on their own.
Which, at the designated rate, is pretty ridiculous.

16 Likes

Did she leave the second farm? I had the impression the remaining horses were still at the same place. The farm owner just fixed the fences on the paddocks.

The facility that foaled out my mare charged a foaling fee in addition to the normal monthly charge for board and care. If the place KS used wasnā€™t charging an extra fee for foaling out, I would have to wonder about how much experience they had providing that type of service for others. Perhaps their idea of ā€œassistingā€ during foaling consists of just calling the vet if a mare needs help.

[Edited for clarity.]

7 Likes

So now the brock place is not a pasture board place but in theory a full care place? That is what she says in this ramble.
$250/month for full care is crazy cheap.

6 Likes

I think like with other trainwrecks, nothing really parses out. The main goal is blame and defect. Itā€™s impossible to tell from her FB page exactly where she is or whatā€™s happened. In every tale of woe, there are multiple names like property owner and staff, plus random ā€œhatersā€ who have commented on the circus. So there will be multiple names flying about in relation to one situation plus people from previous situations will get blamed for commenting or etc.

Itā€™s pretty obvious she warehouses her horses at the cheapest possible field situation and then hopes the property owners pick up the slack, and then calls them negligent ā€œfull boardā€ when they donā€™t. Itā€™s been her pattern over and over. In her deposition she says this place was meant to halter break two foals and toss hay in the field. I would expect her deposition to be closer to consensual reality than her sht posting (but also to contain some exaggerations because Kate).

17 Likes

I assume itā€™s something along those lines because Kate was paying for pasture board, so there wouldnā€™t be any in/out for turnout. Maybe some handling for grooming? Iā€™m not even sure if they were weaned or if they were unmanagable even with their dams.

People buy all sorts of sketchy foals, though Iā€™m not sure who is doing it for $20k+. Lots of people buy babies without knowing what to look for. Agree that at the end of the day, the fault for poor behavior lies with Kate. If I was planning to sell foals for 5-figures and was relying on them passing inspection as a selling perk, you bet I would not be offloading their entire upbringing to the BO!

9 Likes

Kateā€™s business model & MO

17 Likes

I also wouldnā€™t be putting the mares on field board at some place I didnā€™t know a much about and having maybe someone standing about ā€˜assistingā€™ by ringing the vet in case of emergency (which, if one should happen in the middle of the night out in the pasture how would the assisters even know?) and then leaving the state and not even keeping up on things.

Why would you spend so much money conceiving the foals and nothing feeding the mares, having them at a proper facility to foal, and feeding the babies?

18 Likes

I would think itā€™s a perfectly valid plan if you send them to the right BO. I believe thatā€™s what happens with the thoroughbred babies all the time when they are sent to the big farms to get prepared for the sales. And they might get ā€œinspectedā€ by tons of potential buyers in the lead up to the sale. Many of those babies go for a lot more than five figures.

But those are places that actually handle them and work with them and prep them, and probably charge appropriate rates for that level of care and effort.

5 Likes

That directly contradicts what she wrote in the lawsuit.

7 Likes

People by and large arenā€™t buying these foals, it seems

8 Likes

:thinking:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kg-kennels-and-sporthorses-scottsdale

I was thinking the same. My older mareā€™s Perriā€™s leather halter was already, um, aged when I moved her to 24/7 outside living in 2022. Itā€™s been hanging outside her shed in the sun, the rain, the cold, the hot, the snow etc. since then, and itā€™s still in good shape. I clean it about once a year. The crown piece was replaced with a SmartPak crown back in 2016 or so when she pulled back and broke the original.

4 Likes

That model is not the norm AT ALL for the warmblood breeders I know in the US. Most I know sell in-utero, keep at their farm until weaning (complete with halter training, registry inspections and basic trailer loading etc), then ship the baby to their new home around 6 months old OR they keep them until they are under saddle and sell as started prospects. The TBs sell as weanlings/yearlings so the BO model makes more sense for them and they tend to have more staff to help during sale fitting season. I donā€™t think KS is adhering to either of these options, however.

8 Likes

I didnā€™t say it was.

I just said it was a viable model for prepping babies if you send them to the right place, as the race horse farms have proven for years. Thatā€™s all.

8 Likes

I believe they are called ā€œhoardersā€

15 Likes

Those Kentucky farms have meticulously managed grass pasture as well, something I doubt was the case wherever these foals were kept.

1 Like

Yes, I always enjoy looking out the window whenever I fly in and out of the Lexington airport. Itā€™s like getting a birdā€™s eye tour of all the beautiful farms in the area with their fantastic turnout set ups.

14 Likes