Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

You are absolutely right, but who in their right mind would own 20 horses in a boarding situation? Not sane. I have 50 acres and limit myself to less then half that and it is expensive. It makes no business sense to be paying board on 20 horses. Ludicrous.

14 Likes

And in our area of FL average DECENT board runs 750-1200 a month. Even on the lower end of that we are looking at 15k for 20 horses a month. You would need to be selling a foal a month or doing a hell of a lot of braiding to even cover costs. Makes no sense.

2 Likes

It is obvious that anecdotes aren’t going to change KS, however I can’t help but remember my experience with a good-sized breeding facility and how they (and us staff) handled the horses.

There were usually at least 30 broodmares brought in for breeding and or foaling. The operation stood four stallions and had their own broodmares as well. The mares lived out on huge pastures with good grass and staff brought all of them in every day for a meal, checking over, and a brief groom.

When mares were ready for foaling they were brought in to double-sized foaling stalls bedded in layers of straw that was banked at the edges. Each delivery was attended by at least two staff members and the owners of the farm with a veterinarian notified and on call.

After foaling, mares and foals were kept in large stalls and foal temperatures were checked twice daily and all eyes on both mare and foal. They were turned out with other mares and foals once the newborns were stable.

It was hands-on with daily handling and night checks, too.

It’s frustrating when KS can’t understand her business model is harming the horses.

25 Likes

Doesn’t she board mostly at TB operations? Big TB breeding operations in KY are not unused to boarding multiple mares owned by the same individual, foaling them out, raising their foals, etc. (At one such place we visited in Lexington some years back, a very well-known individual in the weight-loss field had just moved her mares and foals and yearlings from one farm to another - we were told a fleet of 18(!) Brook Ledge semis showed up to move them en masse!) Of course, those operations are providing much better care and also charging a lot more, but I do wonder if the folks KS tends to use have that kind of background so they don’t blink an eye at boarding a plethora of horses for someone.

I can also see a scenario where she tells them, “Hey, I’ve got a cash flow issue at the moment due to having to pay the transport people so all I can pay is a max of $250 per mare per month, but I will supply my own hay. We can talk about bumping the board rate up once we get down the road a few months and see how things are going.” And of course the latter never happens. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You are right. I worked for a while on the track and at a TB breeding farm back in Australia when I was younger. But TB breeding is hit and miss and bred on mass - why there are so many in need when they fail to run. I would hope (at least for myself) WB breeding is more discerning. She treats it like a puppy-mill.

3 Likes

I just feel bad for her next BO victim, be TB or not.

1 Like

I think everything related to the lawsuit that was just filed happened at one place, then all the horses were shipped to a new place where she supposedly paid someone’s brother in law to feed and water them while she traveled in September and October, and he supposedly failed to do that. The starving Chacco Blue filly shipped at the beginning of November I think.

So it’s recurrent issues at two different places. And of course, she is pointing fingers at everyone else.

She still has her horses at place number two. They are replacing all the fencing there. Etc etc. It does seem to be the same place the Chacco Blue filly shipped from though.

1 Like

Yep.

It’s really sad.

1 Like

Just want to say - The blame doesn’t sit with the buyer. She bought the horse in-utero. She didn’t know the breeder. Ive bought most my horses from people I didn’t know. I have had nothing but good experiences. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. We just want to think people will do the right thing.

3 Likes

Stuff happens.

Wasn’t Kate charging the buyer $400 a month for foal board (or something in that range) up until weaning? While Kate herself was paying $250 per month for most of the time?

1 Like

$450

1 Like

Right now Im charging the owner the cost of feed - and she looks great. I can’t bring myself to charge more because she was already so ripped off. And still has to transport her north.

4 Likes

Cost of grain, supps and hay is about $250 a month. Fortunately I don’t have a board fee as its my farm. But for $250ish you can rehab a starved foal. Love Seminole feed, supps and not fancy arizona but local farm grown tifton hay. lol

5 Likes

Filly is looking boatloads better. Can’t wait to see her shed out.

7 Likes

Thank you. That wasn’t a great pic to share after 3-4 days of rain, but she is getting there.

5 Likes

It’s the old Blimpey scam “I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today”.

4 Likes

That would be Wimpy. Or maybe it’s Blimpey in Australia?

:rofl::rofl: You’re right it’s Wimpy, we have the same cartoons here. My mind was still halfway on a trump thread. Thanks for the correction :blush:

5 Likes

That would explain it. :rofl:

3 Likes

There are 2 super cute DHH and DHH-X fillies that just landed at Bowie KP for those of you looking for spring projects.

Someone save me from myself. :joy:

3 Likes