Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Yeah, a friend was down there (she owns the young Morgan named Thunderous; I think they competed on Friday.) She posted some great photos! My older mare’s farrier drove the horse that got 3rd place in that class. Super, super fancy high-steppers.

1 Like

That does make me kind of curious. If they haven’t sold, where are they all? Because if what she posted online is true, she bred SCORES of them.

4 Likes

I’m under the impression that a lot (most?) of them have sold, though I doubt it is for their listed purchase price. I assume most have gone to ammy owners who may or may not show. Kate did breed a lot of foals (~10 a year), but I’ve seen similar numbers bred annually by *low-end stock horse breeders that sell for a few thousand each. There’s one in my neck of the woods that has a very recognizable brand so its easy to see where their horses wind up. Many of the latter wind up being general trail mounts or low-level arena horses. Occasionally one is fancier than the rest and winds up a “show horse” but nothing spectacular.

*I am referring to breeders who stand a stud with minimal (if any) performance record and/or dubious conformation being bred to mares whose biggest selling point is they have a uterus.

3 Likes

I believe in 2022 and 2023 there were some issues with mates not carrying fowls successfully to term. But I have t followed this situation closely for long enough to remember them all. Obviously we all saw the photos related to the one aborted foal and the wry thin and laminitic leased recip on this thread though.

There is nothing wrong with red necks. They are some of the best horse trainers and breeders.

1 Like

If she’s been at this for 4-5 years and has had crops of foals most years, shouldn’t a decent number of them be out and competing even if it’s just young horse stuff?

Just out of curiosity, there’s only one USEF listed with her as the breeder. It’s a 2015 and it’s been slowly working up the levels to 1.0 meter classes with a professional. It’s not taking over the world or anything but it’s out and showing.

But that seems to be it.

She’s listed as the owner for more than 20 USEF registered horses. None seem eligible to compete so presumably have no show records (I didn’t click through all of them). Which makes me wonder how many of them really are sold?

Sure, she could have sold them and the new owner changed the name and USEF registered the horse omitting her as the breeder. Or maybe some are sold and the new owner doesn’t show USEF so never bothered to change the registration out of her name.

But it’s odd, right? She’s been at this for a while and if a bunch of these horses were out in homes doing well and creating records where is the evidence of that?

11 Likes

I think until recently she was primarily breeding Arab crosses and full DHH foals. I’m not sure… but I think there have only been 2 or 3 seasons of foal crops pertaining to the specific breeding program involving DHH mares crossed with Warmblood jumper stallions.

2 Likes

There’s been a video shared of that young grey mare going under saddle (jumping in draw reins and looking cranky?) and a bay … maybe 3 yo? being worked in a round pen. I think those are the oldest? I wish we could filter a thread to just show pics & video! It’s here somewhere.

But she’s only been mass producing with ICSI for maybe 2-3 years?

5 Likes

USEF may be searched by breeder… :slight_smile:

To be fair, most low level ammies who buy a young horse or project horse have a very slow route to appearing in any recognized showing venue. This crop of horses are I think all under five. I would hazard a guess that they are not being bought by people enrolled in a program with an effective trainer that can bring along horse and rider efficiently. If they were, the trainer would steer them to other choices

I don’t know how many have sold but when KS posted her fire sale last fall 2023 there were a number of yearlings from 2022 as well as 2023 foals and 2021 two year olds. So they aren’t selling that well in utero which is part of why she can’t afford to feed them.

11 Likes

I compiled a list of offspring and their images/videos up thread (link here). There are two different videos of a bay in a roundpen, though only one is linked in the above comment. One (Arab-cross mare) was 2 and it was her first ride. The other was a ~3 year-old gelding getting ready to start under saddle; that video is on Facebook.

2019 was the first year she started selling any of her bred stock as Dutch Warmbloods vs Dutch Harness Horses. I’m not sure if she was mass-breeding that first year or if that started in 2020.

1 Like

Yes, thank you! That was such a great post. It’s so tough to find anything in this thread with how long it’s gotten :joy:

I thought this was interesting, too. Not a horse that has popped up on any other post?

1 Like

But where are the Arab crosses? Those should also be out and in the mix.

It just seems odd to me that if these horses were really sold that no one is doing anything visible with any of them. You literally can’t find a trace of most of them behind beyond registered to her.

Which makes me wonder how many have actually sold?!

3 Likes

My pleasure! At least on the desktop site, it is very easy to type keywords into the search bar and just search for them only in the thread.

She mentioned that colt a few times on FB, which she privated at some point recently. He is a full-sibling to Phorce Awakens KG. I know Kate had sold the Arab mares so I think that might be the new owner. My list was looking for ones old enough to be ridden, not just everything she’d bred.

1 Like

That post that @LilDunFilly put together does include some show results.

I agree that there’s not a lot out there. But overall they are still young, and the breeding en masse is a pretty recent development.

I’m not suggesting just show records but any evidence that these horses actually sold. Like someone else posting about them or updates on them in their new homes or ANYTHING. I just wonder aloud how many of these horses were actually sold. It seems kind of odd to me that there’s no touting any of the older offspring at all-- even in the ads for in the in utero or the younger horses. Usually when people have sold a horse there’s some trail of that SOMEWHERE.

There are 20 horses USEF registered to her and one USEF registered to someone else that she bred.

Doesn’t it seem odd that NO new buyers of ANY of these foals (if they sold) would at minimum change the USEF registration to their own names? I mean… 20 is a sample size where even if they’re not showing, I would expect SOME of these foals to have owners who register new ownership OR post about them OR show them or SOMETHING?!

8 Likes

This may be a stupid question, but seeing one of the sires she used was Royce, does Spy Coast Farm not know what a disaster her breeding program is? Can anybody just call and get semen? It would seem that the owners of the stallions she uses would not approve of her methods.

1 Like

Most of the time, Kate is buying these on fire sale off Facebook marketplace, and eBay and similar. It’s been hashed out a bit up thread about how little control stallion owners have after their product leaves their hands… I imagine Spy Coast either has no idea or doesn’t really care since there’s not much they can do anyways.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

2 Likes

Royce hasn’t actually been at Spy Coast for very long, has he? I think he was still showing until some time last year.