Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Correct - stallion owners have very little control once the semen has been shipped to a buyer. The buyer may use it in the mare they declared to the SO when they ordered it (assuming it is an SO who wants to know that info), or the buyer may use it in a completely different mare (with or without permission of the SO), or the buyer may store it for future use, or split the doses to use in multiple mares, or sell the entire dose or part of it, yada-yada. Even if they violate a contract with an SO and ā€œmisuseā€ the semen, there is very little recourse for the SO short of suing the MO and that is rarely worth their time and trouble.

As I mentioned upthread, registries used to try to help protect the SOs by demanding breeding certificates signed by the SO before they would issue registration papers, but in this era of shipped semen - particularly frozen and ICSI doses - it is very, very difficult to stay on top of. The registries need the money from foal registrations so they are generally not as stringent about policing registration of foals produced via frozen/ICSI. Although some registries try to do a better job of it than others, the fact that KS is able to register foals with KWPN that were produced from frozen semen that has likely changed hands more than once is basically proof that the registries arenā€™t going to try to help the SOs manage that aspect of their breeding businesses anymore. IOW, the registries are pretty much telling the SOs they are on their own when it comes to tracking and policing the use of any doses they sell.

1 Like

I think it is unlikely but not necessarily unusual, if that makes sense? I expect a number of these horses are not going to show homes and/or people who would stay on top of changing USEF numbers. As someone said early upthread, Kateā€™s Dutch Warmblood crosses are really in the 1 to 4 year-old age bracket and not necessarily showing. At least one of the fillies went to a broodmare home; no idea if the owner plans to ever show her or whether it would be worth it for them to change her USEF registration.

I bought my mare from her breeder. There had been small foal crops over the past several years before, 1-3 bred and sold by her. All of them were sold, but they arenā€™t easy to find/track on the internet. Despite the fact the breeder sent transfer papers with each horse, most still list her as the owner on the registry. Many people donā€™t use registered or show names on their social media posts or have profiles set to public, so good luck finding pictures of them unless the breeder posts them.

6 Likes

I wonder if theyā€™re being reregistered with USEF without the bottom side of the pedigree and no breeder info.

Kate has enough of a reputation that there might be incentive to separate her name from the horseā€¦?

I could also see people not sharing on their public socials because theyā€™re either embarrassed to be associated with Kate, or itā€™s a ā€œrescueā€ type situation (like the starving filly) and Kate talks a big game about taking people to court, so they say nothing.

Idk. Itā€™ll be interesting to see if they start popping up more when there are more of solid riding ageā€¦

7 Likes

I recently saw this one that was bred by Kate up for sale by its new owner:

2 Likes

It says sale pending. So that is good. Hope it lands well.

6 Likes

That one is 3, physically ready to start under saddle, a known quantity to a certain physical extent, and apparently under $20,000ā€¦

That strikes me as a far more reasonable price than what KS was asking for some of her in utero foals, weanlings and yearlings as of winter 2023 - many/most were priced higher than this.

10 Likes

I assumed the breeder registered horses under the DBA. When you search USEF under her NAME and not her DBA you get different horses popping up. More owned by other people. Some still owned by her. So that does change things from what I initially saw when I searched under her DBA. She still seems to be the owner of a large majority of them. And very few of them have shown at all. Thereā€™s a 2016 that did the 0.6 at one show last year. I continue to think itā€™s quite likely that KS continues to own most of the foals she has bred and that only a handful have actually sold.

9 Likes

I keep on hoping that Kashearā€™s whole breeding mess will just stop, that she will stop trying to make money breeding on the cheap, what are IMHO, unsuitable mares to random jumper stallions with name recognition (and some good get when bred to suitable quality mares.)

Anyone who has any experience in breeding, knows that the stud fee, in this case frozen straws, are the least of the expense in the cost of producing good stock.

If a person wanted to breed horses as an experiment, to see they could breed unproven DHH mares X Jumper Stallions and produce jumpers that were worth 5 figures in utero, it could be considered a hobby, and it wouldnā€™t bother me if they:

1. Owned property suitable for keeping mares and raising foals.
  2. Could afford proper feed and veterinary care for the mares bred and the foals produced.
  3. Had the resources to keep any unsold animals they have bred.

Kashearā€™s method of breeding and then farming out mares on the cheap for other people to care for (while not checking in on their condition), and to keep breeding before having any idea how well any of these animals will suit the purpose they are bred for, is so sad for the horses.

I hope it stops.

25 Likes

If a registry gets a breeding report from a stallion agent/owner, we absolutely will ask about a breeding if itā€™s reported independently and not on the report. But if you do not bother to send us a breeding report, itā€™s much more difficult to help a SO police it.

2 Likes

Hey Kate, I am glad to see that the filly being chased around in the field is of good weight. It is great that you figured out that whole feeding situation. Hopefully the rest of your heard herd is getting the same care.

Edit to fix heard/herd thing for Kate.

6 Likes

If you comment you should probably know how to spellā€¦ā€¦ā€herdā€ not ā€œheardā€. And yes buying out a private propertyā€¦ā€¦where people donā€™t stealā€¦.but thank you for the stalking. Didnā€™t know you follow me so closely within an hour of posting! Iā€™m honored!

Or maybe I should pay more attention on what autocorrect does. But thank you for the heads up. I am going to leave it because it is funny now.

Also funny, that you can not even take a positive post without having to be snarky about it.

You call it stalking, I call it Facebook newsfeed showing me stuff.
Shrug.
I also learned that the local fire department learned all the ins and outs of how to deal with electric vehicles during their meeting last night, and that had only been posted a few minutes before too. Gotta love it when Facebook actually shows you current things.

Is it stalking that you commented on my post so quickly after I posted it? Only 19 minutes. That is far less than an hour last time I checked.

35 Likes

The fact is I donā€™t know you and you are following me. That is stalking. Iā€™m not following you but was interested to see how long it would take for someone on here to post something about me lol

I do not go to your FB page, however I do believe that many pages back in this thread you challenged and invited people to follow you there. I do not have the interest to go back and find that conversation, but I do believe it is there.

19 Likes

Um, no. That is how Facebook works.
I did not make Facebook.
I open it in the morning and read what shows up.
I am sorry that my morning schedule timing makes you think it is more than just me reading Facebook in the morning.

If you do not like how Facebook works then I suggest you take that up with them.

I am sure you have lots of people who follow you on Facebook that you do not chum up with on a regular basis, why am I an issue?

Anyway, back to the point I was making before, which for some reason you do not like, that fillyā€™s weight looks great. So glad to see that.

25 Likes

That is not stalking. If it were, so many ā€œinfluencersā€ and people with their info or posts set to ā€œpublicā€ are all being stalked then. Right.

By all means though, keep crowing from the rooftops that youā€™re being stalked if thatā€™s what youā€™re into.

If you donā€™t want people to know what youā€™re up to via FB, then set all of your posts and whatnot to ā€œprivateā€ or to ā€œfriends onlyā€ it is not that hard, unless you enjoy the attention :wink:

39 Likes

Not possible!

4 Likes

20 Likes

I was just about to post that :rofl:

5 Likes

We are both battle tested veterans of a few Barisone threads. This is like Deja vu all over again for us.

26 Likes