Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I’ll be a lot more impressed with this “breeding program” when I see some of these horses under saddle doing something and or in the show ring

13 Likes

Or you don’t support the backyard puppy mill. There are lots of US breeders who aren’t absolutely nuts and producing much nicer horses. Not the weird harness horse concoction from lines known to be very difficult.

19 Likes

And another

1 Like

Speaking of looking at the dam and seeing what she has produced, I saw this post today from a breeding operation in VA. I would buy from them in a heartbeat.

“Just a broodmare”

Yes, we are selling one of our proven broodmares. She has given us 6 beautiful foals. She is also a lovely riding horse. She has been instrumental in her position at our farm developing our next generation of sport horses. We have kept 2 of her daughters to move our breeding forward. One of which, is also a bronze merit RIDSH that qualified with her jumping ability at age 3! That same filly was Youngstock Champion at the IDHSNA show the year of her birth (after being weaned I may add.) The other is only 2.

The ‘broodmare’ also produced 2023 VA Dressage Association’s 1st level year end Champion. As well as ‘24 Dressage at Lexington MFS Champion. YHS Finals qualifier and a stunning black yearling in ‘23. Give it a few more years and the recognitions will be coming in.

Her dam produced some of our very best foals. 2009 and 2010 IDHSNA Part-Bred Performance Champion and 2010 Versatility Champion. 2009 Upperville Youngstock Champion, North American Field Hunter Finalist, and 3 FEH Finals qualified youngsters.

Referring to our mare as ‘just’ a broodmare is disrespectful to her, her labors as a mother, our decision to utilize her on our program and all the incredible mares that came before her.

BROODMARES ARE NOT FIELD ORNAMENTS

They work hard, every day. Especially the mares fertile enough to give you back to back foals year after year. Not only are they growing and raising their own, they raise all the yearlings-3 y/o that need constant guidance and discipline.

This is why she has earned her retirement to go trot someone around the woods, play in the creeks, look pretty in public and be loved with lots of carrots, good podiatry and occasional bodywork.

If you don’t want to buy her; fine. If you need something more schooled or with show experience, she’s not the right horse for you.

Smart riders know that a mature mare will be your best partner. They will walk through fire for you, never give up and make decisions that will keep you both alive; come what may.

I wouldn’t have gone on this rant, except I have heard these words from at least 5 or 6 prospective buyers.

This mare is not ‘just’ anything. She’s everything and deserves someone who recognizes her for it.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/WaSKbTvzau5viSHm/?mibextid=WC7FNe

45 Likes

I agree 100%

21 Likes

AKA as a “**tch cookie”.

3 Likes

Still waiting to hear about all those foals who sold. Ten foals in one year!!! Wow!

4 Likes

Sarah cares a lot about her broodies - all of her horses really. The mare I leased from her arrived round and happy and every picture I’ve seen since she went back (it’s been years now) has been the same whether pregnant or foal at side or otherwise. I will be interested to see what her pony program will produce now that Sarah is adding that to Taproot.

5 Likes

are those the 2 you have to raffle off?

14 Likes

Some beautiful photos from the KWPN inspection taken by Lisa Madren. I wanted to make it out, but unfortunately the inspection was over by the time I could leave my farm. Looks like some nice horses were presented. You can tell the ones that are half DHH.

https://madrenphotography.pixieset.com/kwpninspectionsathiddenhillfarm82824/

10 Likes

Oh wow you were not kidding :eyes: yiiiiikes

5 Likes

The Viking ship ones?

4 Likes

Is the bay jumper yearling with the 4 white socks one of hers?

I am just so happy to see that even the half DHH entries are in good flesh this time. That was not the case last time.

12 Likes

[quote=“Aussie_2020, post:5420, topic:789934, full:true”]
Is the bay jumper yearling with the 4 white socks one of hers? /quote]

Her entries:

Bridle Number Horse Sire/Dam/Damsire Sex and Type Owner
260 Ulani KG Chacco Blue II x Now You See Me KG by Ivamar ZHH SP Filly Kate Shearer
261 Undeniable KG Kannan x Hakuna Matata KG by Ulandro SP Filly Kate Shearer
264 Urraco KG Royce x Never Have I Ever KG by Graaf Kelly SP Colt Kate Shearer
268 The Godfather KG De Niro x Hakuna Matata KG by Ulandro DP Colt Kate Shearer
269 Time for Pleasure KG For Pleasure x Hakuna Matata KG by Ulandro SP Filly Kate Shearer
271 The Whole Nine Yards KG Casquino x Never Have I Ever KG by Graaf Kelly SP Colt Kate Shearer

I agree that it is nice to see most of them in good body condition, credit where credit is due.

6 Likes

Most of her stock has a flat topline (from withers to tail) with an almost ewe shaped neck. That shape reminds me of mules. Is that a body type common in the DHH?

this is not a slam on mules or her horses I’ve ridden a few mules and I didn’t enjoy it, but I know several people that swear by them, especially for trail riding.

9 Likes

Could you find the inspection results?

1 Like

They have not been posted yet.

5 Likes

Yes, that is common in show type harness and high stepping breeds. Also seen in saddlebreds and park type Morgans and Arabians (not commonly on those entire breeds, just the ones performing saddle seat).

To my eye, DHH are just bigger boned, less refined saddlebreds. That’s not a knock on either one; 60yrs ago saddlebreds might be top show jumpers! They are certainly athletic, but travel in a completely different manner than a dressage, jumper, hunter, or eventer.

19 Likes

That’s interesting, I’ve heard stories of mules that could jump a 5ft fence from a stand still. With their flat backs and non existent behinds you wouldn’t think that power was there.

1 Like