Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Yes. But were they carrying a human when they did this? Deer can do that too but they did not have weight on their backs.

2 Likes

I think Saddlebreds have prettier and more refined heads - and though their necks are long and slender, they tend to be less ā€œupside downā€ :wink:

14 Likes

This is just the first one that popped up on YouTube. Apparently this mule is 30 years old!

According to the mule owner, the sport originated when they would take mules on hunting trips as pack animals, and then have them jump individual fence lines as they came to them.

So a totally different concept than carrying a rider over multiple fences at the gallop in pursuit of the fox.

6 Likes

Typically not, because the practice originated with coon hunting and barbed wire fences.
The rider would dismount and throw a blanket over the wire so the mule could guage the height, then grab the blanket and remount on the other side.
Mules can jump under saddle, though.

15 Likes

Can riderless horses can jump that height from a standstill? Iā€™m not being argumentative, Iā€™m asking sincerely because I donā€™t know. I do know of bulls that can jump a farm fence from the walk.

Iā€™m not sure the height youā€™re referring to, but we have a pretty lame, retired ISH at our farm and he jumped the 1.20/1.25? Gate from a standstill or slight walkā€¦apparently heā€™s bored.

2 Likes

I remember a warmblood who jumped over a five foot gate from barely a trot when he was turned out at a horse show, and proceeded to run around the property for what felt like at least twenty minutes.

1 Like

I believe we were talking about 5 ft, Iā€™m to lazy to scroll up and look.

Iā€™m guessing it wouldnā€™t be too hard for a jumper. And without a rider itā€™s like the mules.

I like saddlebreds a lot but to me they are the epitome of a common head and deep set neck. There are exceptions but in a barn of 50 saddlebreds only 2-3 would have a head that is as pretty to me as a TB, Arab, etc. itā€™s almost like their features were put in photoshop to shrink and the edges of their facial bones were muted and softened.

2 Likes

yes most definitely true. They lay a coat or rug over the fence and typically yell GIT IT! I do love to watch them. I grew up with people who did hunt racoon with dogs and mules.
Lots of horse shows around here when I was a kid had a mule jumping class. My mare never ever got over her fear of them though!
This was a real diverse area for horse shows. Our local shows had Arab and Morgan classes and draft pony/mini mule hitches, the county to the south of us had Walkers and favorite gait classes with the other society breeds and we had a pocket of shows with road pony classes to the west and the mules across the river. I once won an eq class and never used the whole arena! The mules were tied on that end. Either the judge was not paying attention or she gave me credit for outsmarting my horse!

4 Likes

:heart: :smile: Brilliant ring strategy! My horses were ok with mules because several friends I trail rode with used them. But once I was riding the arab cross down the road by himself and two spotted mules came running towards him braying. They blew his mind. Heā€™d never heard them ā€œtalkā€ before. :rofl:

1 Like

She was ok with full sized mules. She was scared of anything pony sized.

Interesting that still no results posted for the Ocala keuring. Also interesting that there were no results from last yearā€™s Ocala keuring ever posted. Finally, interesting that Kate has no interest in posting her own scores. Hmmmmm.

13 Likes

This thread wouldā€™ve been over ages ago if there were scores and pics of healthy mamas.

Iā€™m thrilled the youngsters are looking much better! I hope they find homes before any more babies are on the way. Most breeders start small, just a couple foals, and make sure the product is selling before they go putting unsustainable numbers of babies on the ground. Easier to support/sell at a loss when you only have a couple to manage, and then adjust your plan each year.

15 Likes

Thanks for your interest, the Report from the 2024 FL Keuring is not yet available, but will be glad to make that available once it is.
Since you asked, here is the 2023 Report from the Road for the Florida Horse Park location.

10 Likes

We did have a really lovely Keuring this year, thank you! The jury remarked positively on the overall quality of horses that were presented, which is always a pleasure to hear. There are alot of photos and recounts on the KWPN NAā€™s facebook page if you want to follow along with the whole tour.

Our handlers and ring crew do use whips to help safely guide the horses around the ring, but over use of them to create tension in movement is strongly looked down upon. The KWPN only allows use of a plain lunge whip (absolutely NO plastic bags!) or small shaker to encourage the horses forward during presentations.

10 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Her yearling colt.

2 Likes

I thought well bred horses didnā€™t jump out of pastures and hurt themselves due to their amazing brains :wink: thatā€™s why you donā€™t need safe fencing for these horses.

Thatā€™s also a surprising braid job from someone who does that for a living and whose braids usually look very neat and tidy.

I guess the entries answer my question thatā€™s gone unanswered a couple times about whether these horses have sold or not.

30 Likes