Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Saddle seat and harness folks and us ex saddle-seat and harness folks don’t find Hubert’s behavior at all obnoxious. :slight_smile: GIDDY UP !!!

7 Likes

Just to help explain some intricacies here…

If you click the reply arrow that’s at the bottom of a post, that replies to that specific post and the person who wrote it will get a notification that you’ve replied to the post.

If you click the reply box at the very bottom of the thread, below the last reply, that is a general reply on the thread, rather than to a specific person/post.

If you highlight text in a post, a “quote” box will pop up, and you can click that to add that text to your post (like I did here) and that person will get a notification that they’ve been quoted.

I hope that helps!

11 Likes

I had a marvelous experience taking a country gentleman of a Morgan horse to a show barn for boarding. Never in his 6 years had he seen anything other than a field and a couple of other horses. He quickly became accustomed to all the activity of a professional Morgan barn, including driving horses, pleasure, park, western, dressage and hunt seat. Nothing phased him after spending a year at that barn. I rode him strictly for pleasure riding.

The barn owner had a fabulous kind of crouch and growl she’d use to hep up the horses for the show ring. They were as amused by it as I was. There wasn’t any fear involved, just a cue for the horses to animate themselves.

In this particular barn every horse had turnout and every horse was ridden out and on the trail, broodmares, stallions, show horses. Morgans are very versatile and each horse was put to work where conformation or ability suited best.

6 Likes

This scenario always reminds me of this old classic, although it’s sort of the opposite situation. Luckily it sounds like the one in your barn will have a nice life with his person. Yay for both of them.

14 Likes

I hope that someone will find new photos or video that show some improvement in the appearance of Kate Shearer’s horses.

5 Likes

Hope springs eternal but I’m not holding out much of it. That will affect her bottom line too much.

I thought she said she was “cleaning them up” for sale videos.

1 Like

She did say that. But it doesn’t seem to have happened.

I’m concerned about the mares that are currently in foal. Poor things.

4 Likes

I will say I’ve met a couple fairly “well known” DHH in their home environment and got to ride one.

I asked if he was going to kill me riding him saddleseat and they laughed and told me the kids ride him. Just keep him forward and don’t worry.

At shows with a lot of hazing, he could have a very different “appearance” but I daresay he was even a little lazy at home. The expectation of manners was different but a blast to ride.

But I think beginner or amateur friendly could have a lot of different meanings. I’ve had some riders that have shown or been in lessons for years be afraid of my old lady Arabian mare because she moves with a purpose and doesn’t need a nagging leg. She’s safe though even though she could be described as “hot”.

I think if the rider isn’t worried about riding forward and enjoys the energy, then I don’t think it matters if it’s an amateur or a pro. I just don’t think you’re going to lunge the average one into submission or exhaustion.

7 Likes

Unfortunately Shearer isn’t breeding DHH. She’s breeding DHH to random, well known jumper stallions.

Unfortunately she is trying to sell these horses for five figures as jumper “prospects”.

There is no telling what sort of temperament they will have as riding horses or talent for jumping “for the amateur market” and so far, the conformation of the animals she has produced is less than ideal for sport.

That, and the starvation factor, makes this situation much different than riding a DHH and enjoying them if they are amenable to jumping. There are bound to be some DHH that enjoy a jump around but as for breeding crosses specifically for jumping, it hasn’t caught on with KWPN for a reason.

18 Likes

Meanwhile she’s ready to go off on the braiding tour/season. I wonder who’ll be hired to feed and care for the horses and foals. In other words, what kind of scapegoat story will there be this time?

14 Likes

Yes, and she isn’t using quality DHH mares, she is using bargain basement mares.

8 Likes

I’m afraid she is running out of scapegoat stories. Probably about over for the boy who cried wolf. My heart hurts for those poor mares and babies.

5 Likes

LOL…she’s paying attention to this thread still. Evidently didn’t like my comment and PM’d me on Facebook to call me a nut job because her mares win. I must have missed what awards they’ve won. Anyway, blocked and done. I hope those horses are all getting plenty of groceries and good care, and all get soft landings, assuming they get sold.

31 Likes

Pardon the interjection, but there is a Registered DHH gelding at the Bowie Kill Pen, “Woodside Acres Alex”, if anyone is looking for a last minute Christmas gift.

3 Likes

Seriously?

If she’s paying attention to the thread, then maybe she can post photos and updates on her horses to demonstrate how all have been fed, and feet have been done, and how the pregnant broodmares in particular are no longer super ribby heading into 2024.

Everyone would love to see that update. Healthy and well fed mares and youngstock, who no longer look wormy and have feet cared for.

20 Likes

He’s a very nice boy.

2 Likes

Huh. Pulling from an auction like that is so far out of my experience or comfort zone I wouldn’t know where to start… but he’d fit in here very nicely I think

4 Likes

He has such a kind eye. Beautiful boy, I hope he finds a good home.

2 Likes

If you were to pull him or another horse I would prepare for at least 30 days quarantine. It’s pretty much a guarantee he has either a upper respiratory infection or strangles, or both! I would also be fully prepared for either a sound horse, a lame horse, or a horse that needed maintenance. Since this is an “older” horse who was a Amish driving horse I would not be surprised if he had some ringbone or other issues that made him no longer sound for road driving. I’ll note that what type of Amish and what they have the horse for can make a big difference. The Amish breeding programs for Halfingers, Morgans, Fresians, and DHH for the sales ring can be treated vastly different than a regular buggy horse.

Another final note, the livestock barns that do these FB “adoptions” are smart smart smart and know they can purchase horses at auctions and resell them on FB with “the truck is coming” threats. The nicer looking horses aren’t reflective of actual auction prices, and if you’re more interested in rescue I’d buy direct from a auction.

10 Likes