Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

QFP

You can’t have that both ways either. Either you took the pictures or they did.
You posted them on social media.

You are doing yourself no favors. You are the one with a terrible history of posting photos of your malnourished animals and animals in filthy conditions for which you refuse to take responsibility.

You can keep on all you want that COTH members know nothing about breeding horses. You are sadly mistaken and it only displays your ignorance to a very good chunk of the H/J and Dressage world.

14 Likes

People are missing the point about the chestnut mare and foal. Who cares where it is or what happened in the delivery. The mare is BONES. If Kate was watching the cameras so much, surely she would have noticed the mare’s condition.

I paid someone (my vet) to foal out my mare last year, but I was there a few times a week and would definitely have noticed if she was skin and bones.

44 Likes

KY TB farms like Lanes End, Ashford, Three Chimneys, Hill N Dale, Taylor Made, etc are undoubtedly the gold standard for broodmare and foal care.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t safely and correctly breed quality horses on a condensed scale. Years ago I foaled out my first three mares of my own on 5 acres in FL with basically no grass (free choice alfalfa though, and horses were NOT SKINNY). My facility wasn’t fancy or extravagant, but it was safely fenced and well maintained. I only had 12x12 stalls, not foaling stalls, but I had attached runs if needed. I already had years of foaling experience at a classy KY TB farm. I had wireless baby monitor cameras. And I slept outside (shedrow barn) in front of the stall on a cot. I milk tested. I groomed the mares at 10pm every night before bedtime (assuming I slept). I was there for each foaling and did everything by the book. I raised three healthy foals, now 6yo and 4yo, two of whom won FEH Championships as yearlings.

The point is, it’s all about how much you care and what you invest personally with your $$, time and dedication. You don’t necessarily need to do all the work yourself, but if you demand quality care that your horse deserves, you’ll be paying for it and still carry the responsibility to ensure your horse is receiving it.

It’s mind boggling to me how so many “repeat failures” can happen. I made a mistake once; I left my cherished retired mare and gelding with a friend-of-friend KY TB farm in November while I went to Florida. We traded; he agreed to pasture board my two retirees, in exchange for me taking his green 3yo appendix QH for training over the winter. I trusted this individual; mutual friends trusted him; I spoke with him on the phone monthly, checking in on my horses, and giving an update on his filly. I had been told “They lost a little bit of weight, but still look good, you know…” and I thought that was okay, because they truly were FAT and overweight when I left them. My husband was in KY and checked on my two old guys in March; he was shocked to find my mare a BCS of 2, the gelding barely a 4. My husband immediately came back to FL, hooked up the trailer, loaded the QH filly and went back to KY to exchange the horses. I cried when my poor mare unloaded…skin and bones, lame behind. This, from a pretty big TB breeding farm. From then on, I vowed NEVER to board my horses again, and I have severe trust issues with anyone else caring for my personal horses! I can’t imagine letting a situation like this happen MULTIPLE times. Can it happen once? Yes, to anyone. But ONE TIME should be all it takes to ensure it can never happen again.

43 Likes

I have worked for several private breeders in the past. It certainly can be done properly without acres of bluegrass. It takes WORK, time, attention, proper hygiene, veterinary and farrier monitoring, as well giving a damn about your animals.

I see none of that in Shearers posts or photos.

19 Likes

The first thing I could think of is my Baloubet mare has about 50 scars on her body from coming in from turn out (i.e not from humans, but from lack of self preservation ;))

You know, by the same stallion you’re breeding to.

31 Likes

This makes no sense. If that is a red bag foal there is too little TIME to summon help. People have to be there in person. Once you see the red bag you have minutes - correct me if I’m wrong - @Ghazzu

9 Likes

Apparently everyone hired by Kate is negligent. How many times do you entrust care to someone else, they fail you, and you hire another that fails you? Why does everyone that works for her fail? There seems to be one common denominator here, and that’s KS. So either hiring people that don’t know how to take care of horses, or possibly not paying enough for them to make the horses a priority, but something has gone wrong multiple, multiple times if it truly is other people failing. At some point, you have to take responsibility for that.

34 Likes

Not Ghazzu… but you are right. You need to act immediately.

18 Likes

Nope. I compare the photos shown on this thread with my own weanlings (now yearlings!) in the field here outside of Ocala. My yearlings who are also fluffy, hairy, and awkward as many are in January. But who have well-rounded hips, muscled shoulders, and smooth toplines, with clean knees and ankles. It frustrates me to hear her excuses that “they should be thin” or “they shouldn’t have grain anyway”, because mine don’t get grain either (or $600/ton Arizona alfalfa) and yet they look happy and healthy on free-choice KY-grown orchard alfalfa, beet pulp and ration balancer.

56 Likes

Oh look, long hair can shine! Shocker!

14 Likes

This is what I was trying to say earlier. It was a red bag delivery. Yet Kate noted this via camera? Then someone got to the location where the mare was foaling out and loaded the mare, and took her to EMCO?

I am still having trouble wrapping my head around this because…

1. I thought with red bag deliveries you do not have much time at all…. It’s an emergency situation.

2. Per Kate’s own story, the person who was supposed to be managing the foaling out wasn’t even onsite… there was only a subcontractor on-site twice a day for feeding… so who loaded the mare and got her to EMCO?

Anyway… that’s why I was confused in an earlier post and assumed maybe the mare was already at EMCO for foaling out … and they identified the red bag situation. And maybe Kate was accusing them of something. But apparently not.

And again, as we all have noted, the condition of the mare is appalling. Way too thin. Per Kate’s Facebook this is the same recipient mare she recently put video up of, as she is trying to sell her to a riding home now. The mare does seem like she might make a nice project horse for someone. I hope she goes to a good and loving home, ASAP.

11 Likes

Both of these things is my best guess.

None of it makes any sense though. She’s spending significant money on ICSI.

4 Likes

Yours look as they should, very well cared for. You know what you’re doing, as we all know.

Shearer is clueless, and because of my fondness for the little weaners and yearlings, as well as the broodmares, it makes me angry to see Kate Shearer allowing this mare (that she was leasing as a recip mare) after aborting her foal in a filthy stall with inadequate bedding, to lay in that filth while laminitic, and for Kate Shearer to take this photo and send it to the owner of the mare ;

https://forum.chronofhorse.com/uploads/default/original/3X/b/b/bb259cd4a13799fe2b1c41942e3bd7d2e8c3fc12.jpeg

There is no excuse for that, or for this. Period. https://forum.chronofhorse.com/uploads/default/optimized/3X/f/0/f02334e468223463a9bcd4632f99c23c2f37db75_2_1035x729.jpeg

Kate Shearer , how often do you need to see these photos before you realize you are failing your horses?

15 Likes

So, in other words, this is yet again another case of you hiring people who do not do their job and it is not your fault that the person you hired failed your horses? Am I reading that correctly?

15 Likes

You should definitely talk to dr miller about how he blew through 11 icsi embryos of mine putting some in 9 days post ovulation and then ask how when he sent a courier to get semen only put half in a mare then forgot he even bred her then threatened the stallion owner he would use the other half of semen (as I had to buy another full dose) himself and just not record the foal. Biggest vet mistake ever. In Arizona I knew the good people and vets and never had an issue. I trusted the wrong person in Oklahoma after selling them 2 horses and then moved the horses to ocala literally a year ago and talked to local people about best place to board. It’s been just a nightmare. Has nothing to do with money. This was my passion to create the type of horse I would want to ride but never could afford when I was young. My breeding does not make money but used to make me happy until this year and the unreliable help. Paying $33 an hour to clean stalls should not be hard but people can and do take advantage and ocala has the highest crime rate of any city its size in the United States. It’s not a good place and I constantly have trainers asking me to help them find grooms and help as no one can seem to keep them. I have a heart and yes let the barn managers brother in law work for me which he was promptly fired after that pic of the dirty stall and aborted foal was sent to me. I had the barn manager get involved and handle that situation. I wanted to give his brother in law a shot but his brother in law was lazy. So i gave a shot to a guy that wanted full time work that was working part time for another farm. That was who was there when all this happened. That was the three weeks I was gone. And the farm owner has been great totally replacing all the fencing for me and adding extra paddocks. But I have my hay under lock and key now as it disappeared too many times. And I have two great people working for me now. There is so much more to the story but that’s ok the attorneys are handling it all. Yes there’s a suit against emco and yes there’s a suit against the last farm. If Fiona had two Pennie’s to rub together she would have been stopped from this ridiculousness back when but she owns nothing so serves no point spending money when she couldn’t pay a penny. The people that have actually been at the farm, vets, farriers, buyers, haulers, trainers, etc don’t “see” anything that you guys keep trying to ridicule and being up because it just doesn’t exist. I do feel bad for the actually abused animals
Out there and I know I’ve been a target since I started my breeding program but it’s strong and respected by many. Anywho please do talk to your vet at emco to see what is going on there. Vet malpractice is very serious

Soooo… you ARE accusing EMCO of malpractice and suing them? Ok.

30 Likes

Which Dr Miller would this be?

6 Likes

As someone who has been through law school, you would WELL understand that you should not discuss pending litigation, especially publicly.

That you’re so willing to just go off on the numerous “lawsuits” you claim you have active at any given time is mind boggling. Really just suggests there is no lawsuit.

How many animals have died unexpectedly in your ownership?? The buck stops with you, sweet cheeks. You are literally killing horses, and somehow don’t see that as abuse. It’s disgusting.

62 Likes

I have just been reading along, admittedly scanning some. But now I am completely confused.

Who is Fiona and what does she have to do with Dr. Miller and EMCO and aborted foals and hay disappearing and fugly babies? I understand that Kate accuses Fiona of poor horse care, but what has that got to do with Kate? Did Fiona abuse Kate’s horses?

Completely bumfuzzled.

9 Likes

Fiona is involved with the most recent viral Facebook post about Kate, which had to do with a very thin and poor looking Chacco Blue weanling filly someone else had bought that filly, and paid to board it with Kate until weaning, and became concerned that the filly was in poor shape, and sent Fiona to pick up the filly. And… the filly was in poor shape. And Fiona then posted about it, with pictures, and a lot of people took note, because it was a bad situation, and the breeder was well known for drama and other bad situations…

Kate came on here and first blamed the help she had recently hired for the filly’s lean condition (apparently this is the brother in law of the farm manager, or something). But people challenged her on that, because the filly’s condition did not happen overnight… there is a picture from summer and she looks malnourished then as well.

Kate then came back to the thread later and made a bunch of accusations about Fiona. It seems like this is a deflection attempt, at best.

All these accusations about EMCO seem to involve other horses of Kate’s and different issues from earlier in the year.

And… to date… Kate has not explained why her chestnut recipient mare was so horribly thin in pictures Kate herself shared when that mare was in the midst of a foaling emergency at EMCO.

There are so many layers of problems and accusations with this situation, it’s definitely hard to keep any of it straight.

34 Likes