Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

As far as I can tell, the only reason Fiona has been brought into this is because she’s had some poorly looking horses, or has horses injured, so the fact that Kate starves and kills her own shouldn’t matter. According to Kate, the fact someone else has done something “worse” absolves her.

In the grand tradition of little kids who try to distract from their own poor choices by saying “but Bobby did < other questionable thing >…!”

25 Likes

Unrelated to the red bag yes

Have you ever seen a mare in distress and then after a huge baby pulled out? You couldn’t see a single bone on her before the traumatic red bag experience. But that’s fine you can judge from “your experience”. I’ll find pics of her the day before this happened and then you can see. But alas I’m working and now you are just being annoying. Gosh unless you have foaled out a mare in distress that has to get cut open and knocked out you have no idea. It was appalling to me to watch that whole thing as well but no….let’s keep going on about it. Never experienced that trauma in a pregnancy before.

If you’re speaking of Corey Miller, he’s one of the most successful and respected equine repro vets in the country, if not world. And a personal friend. I simply cannot wait to chat with him, if that’s the Dr. Miller you’re referencing.

52 Likes

So the trauma of the red bag delivery caused the mare to lose weight suddenly?

21 Likes

One foal was flipped over in the care of an Arabian trainer in 2021 but I didn’t own it. Just one I bred. I’ve had two mares in 2022 die at the Millikans. First time ever having something die ever in my life. A 2023 foal die in the care of the boarding barn that my red bag foal was at (that my insurance company paid claim on and is subrogating now against the farm). And finally the hardest hit was Reba up at EMS for two years. Nothing else has died. Some absorbed foals or one aborted one. But no colics(knock on wood), nothing. There are many breeders that have many many deaths every single year during breeding. One specifically comes to mind that stands many stallions. No horrific injuries like many others post.

So again, we base our opinion on the photos and videos that YOU have shared of your horses.

If your horses are thriving it seems weird that you are choosing to only share photos and videos where they look unthrifty (underweight, poor condition).

32 Likes

Public record

Except the fact no matter what I post someone will find fault. I could take a butt shot like the lady above and my weanlings look the exact same but you would say unthrifty no matter how exactly comparable they are. Literally I have posted lots of pics that somehow people hav e skipped over not posting here….

Shouldn’t Kate be in class? According to this she has a BA and MA in Family & Human Development, a JD and PhD/LLM in mediation and arbitration, and is currently finishing her PhD in Performance Psychology.

6 Likes

By your own fb posts you have lost several aborted foals, late term. Shit happens in breeding, I know. But not just one aborted foal like you claim here. And this is why people have so many questions…your stories change, the details change, and through it all the horses look terrible.

37 Likes

Sincere question.

Why do you own and breed so many horses when you:

1. Don’t have your own farm and don’t have reliable people and a stable situation at which to keep all your horses?

2. Are almost certainly taking a financial loss on everything you are breeding?

3. Don’t seem to be doing this in order to produce personal riding horses?

23 Likes

Yeah, why don’t you go ahead and provide the case numbers, because nothing comes up searching with your name.

https://www.civitekflorida.com/ocrs/app/search.xhtml

21 Likes

Because I started in Arizona where everything was lovely. I’ve had to make do since the move. And I greatly enjoy watching I have produced and their amateur owners who could otherwise not afford a foal of this quality. Not everything is about money in this world. I do very well for myself and this is just my hobby/passion. Just like one could ask why anyone owns a horse when there is no financial benefit from it. Becusee it’s you hobby and you love it.

Ok. Well thanks for answering.

4 Likes

Question from someone who does not breed (anything, let alone horses).

If you (general) had a pregnant mare at a boarding facility that you watched on cameras that are good enough to tell that the mare is now in distress during foaling, can you also tell, using those same cameras, that your mare is not being fed enough and is getting thin?
Because I have to assume that KS is sure that her mare was in excellent weight prior to going to the foaling facility with the owner who did not watch her horse well enough, so the mare must have lost weight while there, which it seems like should have been obvious on the cameras that were being watched so carefully.

18 Likes

I’ve worked in the breeding industry and if a breeder has “many many deaths every single year” then they are doing something incredibly wrong and they should take a good hard look at their animal husbandry, management and breeding operations.

39 Likes

Some people are simply incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions and admitting to making a mistake.

My first weanling went through an unfortunate period shortly after I got her. She shipped from CA to TN in October. I was an out of state graduate student and arranged for her to live in a friend’s pasture with all her broodmare and young horses. When I visited six weeks later to deworm my filly and hold her for the farrier, I was appalled at her condition. She didn’t look as bad as Kate’s filly, but she looked terrible. She was a BCS of about 3.5 and had the same dull, unthrifty looking coat. I immediately arranged to have her moved back to my friend’s main barn and put on stall board. Within a couple of months, she was back to being in good condition. I did not blame my friend for what happened. She had been raising foals that way for years, and all of her rugged QH youngsters had done just fine living the semi-feral lifestyle. My CA-born Arabian filly wasn’t equipped for it. I knew that she would have minimal monitoring when I chose to turn her out there. It was MY fault and my responsibility to correct the problem. Which I did immediately. I learned a valuable lesson that winter, back in 2007. I never made the mistake of neglecting a youngster’s nutrition and management again.

This is what my most recent babies have looked like during their first winters:

33 Likes

Love this photo.

23 Likes

Lovely babies.

6 Likes