Unlimited access >

Oroquin for Epm, my experience.

My horse was diagnosed with EPM and is showing signs of neurological difficulties. My vet and I decided to treat with Oroquin. Initial blood work must be pulled and sent for testing, prior to the company sending the medication. My vet convinced the company to send meds, as soon as they received the blood.
First dose was given 24 hrs. ago and I already see an improvement. The horse is more energetic and is walking better.
We are still waiting for the blood test results, but I’m sure it’s positive.

In both cases that I have used it, I got my whole horse back in 5 days

Wow, that’s great news! Today is day #2, I’ll update after I see my horse.
Thank you for giving me even more hope.:slight_smile:

Day #3- Horse continues to improve, walking better and is much more alert.
I don’t know why the pills have to be so big!!

Day #4 significant improvement, more energy and trotting over to the grass!

Z - I’m curious if your vet rated the horse’s level of neuro signs. If I remember correctly, they are often graded 1-5 similar to lameness exams.

After years of the suspension and multiple courses of Marquis, Oroquin was the one that actually made a difference. That was 4 years ago and my horse, while retired is more “normal” that he ever was before.

[QUOTE=2tempe;7635105]
Z - I’m curious if your vet rated the horse’s level of neuro signs. If I remember correctly, they are often graded 1-5 similar to lameness exams.[/QUOTE]

No my vet didn’t rate him, but my horse showed significant signs of neurological deficits. He had trouble walking and wasn’t sure where to put his feet. Sleeping a lot and having severe difficulties getting up off the ground.
Today is day #5 and he’s continues to improve.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=csb;7635715]
After years of the suspension and multiple courses of Marquis, Oroquin was the one that actually made a difference. That was 4 years ago and my horse, while retired is more “normal” that he ever was before.[/QUOTE]

I’m so happy to hear that!

Some years ago it was thought my old TB might have EPM, he was rated a 3 I think, and I was told that success is a “1 grade” improvement after Marquis treatment - or something close to that. It turned out that my horse had cervical arthritis, but I’m curious about the Oroquin, and whether it does more to improve the neurological outlook.
Good luck, glad to hear that things are going in the right direction!

Thank you 2tempe. Today is day #5 and my horse is almost back to normal.
I noticed his appetite has decreased, I have a feeling it’s from the medication.

My vet doesn’t even bother with Marquis; he prescribes Oroquin first.

When my mare had possible EPM last fall (she had a low titer, Grade 1 or
“low 2” symptoms, and was rideable), she ended up on Oroquin. Vet didn’t recommend CSF testing because of the risk and expense, and said that the Oroquin wouldn’t hurt her. (Modulo occasional horse that has side effects, in which case one stops the Oroquin.) He also said that there are a couple of different (but related) EPM organisms and some respond better to Oroquin, others to Marquis, but what we had in our area would likely respond to Oroquin.

The mare certainly didn’t get worse; in fact she got a bit better and is now a “low 1” neurologically. She’s also on 10000 IU of Vitamin E a day, for the rest of her working life, which helps maintain the improvement.

Day #6 and my horse looks like himself… Amen!
Quietann, I also have my horse on vitamin E and selenium.

Day #7, my horse is happy and playing around in his paddock. It’s so nice to see him back to his old self.

Couple questions: Did you get blood results confirming EPM? How long does the horse stay on the Oroquin? Not that I would have thought of this at the time, but did you take videos of him along the way?

Glad to hear that he’s doing so much better.

Yes blood results confirmed EPM. Oroquin is a 10 say treatment, then the horse starts levamisole for 14 days.
I don’t have videos, but his neurological symptoms we’re obvious. If rolling or sleeping, the horse could barely get himself up. When he did, he want stand and shake.
Yesterday was last dose of Oriquin and he starts on levamisole today. Vet will draw blood again, 4-6 weeks after the completion of the levamisole.
Not only has Oroquin worked it’s priced less then $200, including the levamisole.
Blood work must be sent in, before manufacturer will send the Oroquin. It’s still in the field study phase and has been approved by the FDA.

A course of Oroquin-10, followed a month or so later by a course of Levamisole/decoquinate powder, resolved my horse’s EPM. His neuro symptoms were fairly mild, but bad enough to keep him out of work, and his titers were high enough to put him in the “EPM positive” range. We didn’t test CSF or try Marquis - my sports medicine vet, who treats a lot of high end horses from NY to Wellington, said he was seeing much better results with the Pathogenes protocol, so we went that route. It was less expensive, had less risk of severe side effects, and did everything it was supposed to do. Horse recovered beautifully and has been back in regular work for several years now.:cool:

Hi DownYonder,
I did some research before starting the Oroquin and it seems to be the best treatment for EPM. I can’t believe how well it’s working.
Yesterday was day #10 and my horse came out of his paddock, prancing like a race horse, which he normally does.
I turned him out in the arena and he started cantering around and looked great.
The transformation has been remarkable all thanks to Oroquin! He has 14 days of the Levamisole to go and blood will be tested 4-6 weeks after that.
I urge anyone who has a horse with EPM to try this treatment first.:smiley:

I’m just very surprised, given all the glowing reviews, that vets all over my state (FL) advised against it. I had two vets from two different practices each consult with multiple other vets, some from university vet schools, and the end result was, “I can not prescribe this” from both vets. :confused:

I’m curious about Oroquin as well. It seems like every so often there is a thread like this singing it’s praises. The thread draws some controversy and ends. What is up with this stuff?