Unlimited access >

Ouch! Embarrassing question for male riders

Hi,

My little boy wants to ride but he is finding it a bit uncomfortable so far. How do you male riders deal with your “family jewels” when you are riding?

His “tightie whitie” undies aren’t cutting it so far. Do I need to buy him a size down? Or are there any other special tidbits of advice you may have? Seriously, any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tidbits? Tidbits?? :smiley: :smiley: Sorry, as a female, I have no advice.

Is the saddle too small for him so the pommel isn’t being his friend?

There are little kid jockstraps out there…just him wearing jeans that fit should be enough “support”. Smaller sized underwear that fits snugger might be needed.

Those’ll be the big two…pants that fit him and a saddle that fits him (and many saddles are made to fit a female’s pelvis and are guy killers, no matter what their age)…too small kills everyone and he doesn’t know any better.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=Kryswyn;5449300]
Tidbits? Tidbits?? :smiley: :smiley: Sorry, as a female, I have no advice.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol:

Needs to learn how to post softly so you down come down on yourself. Yes, tighter underwear works. Happens to all us guys.

When my husband was riding he swore by Under Armour compression shorts. I don’t know if they make those in kids sizes, though.

as embarrassing as it may be for him, a dancer’s belt will hoist the boys up in front… balet supply stores will have them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_belt
it’s also the reason Steffen Peter’s got so much ahem attention down there.

Isn’t that supposed to cause fertility problems? :wink:

Interesting topic…:winkgrin:

Everything has been already said, but just to confirm:

• tight underwear;
  • man-friendly saddle…apart from trying the saddle for a couple hours there is really no way to say. Although “dressage saddle” may look more painful for men, they can end up being more comfortable than a more “open”/“flat” saddle.
  • position of the rider…this is why men learn the correct stance faster…:smiley:

Mr. PoPo wears compression shorts under his breeches. Nothing helps when coming down in the wrong position from a buck, though! :lol:

DH wears compression shorts and demands the comfy horse that won’t buck. The look on his face when he posted wrong though was priceless. He’s only on the flat though and we haven’t made it out of a working trot.

I little boy at my barn did actually wear a cup for awhile. I don’t think he does anymore because he got more control over his posting. He used to learn forward and that, of course, got the best of him. I say get protection for now but really drill on posting and sitting right. Not posting correctly will hurt girls too.

Say “yes” to compression shorts or a jock strap.

Say “NO” to a cup. This ain’t football or karate.

This really is a subject that female riding instructors ought to be aware of. I think it’s a reason more young men don’t have an interest in riding. It only takes one “mishap” to get your attention. :slight_smile:

G.

P.S. Also say “yes” to properly fitting breeches or trousers. Skin tight Wranglers will have a guy who’s riding astride “singing soprano” in short order. For oure military competitions my wife has fitted the uniform trousers with a “dart” in the crotch. When combined with appropriate “foundation garments” it adds the comfort necessary to give the rider the best chance at good quality performance.

Thank you all so much! I will try to find him some tiny compression shorts. He’s only 6. I know they do make jock straps that small, if I can’t find compression shorts for him.

He’s not actually hurt himself yet, he says he is just nervous that he might hurt himself that way.

I don’t think it’s my saddle, which is however too big for him. I didn’t want to buy a real saddle for him until I know whether he really wants to ride or not. At barn they have pony saddles and gasp ponies that are child safe which he will be trying out shortly. We’ll see how it goes.

Aside from the dent in my wallet, I’ll be happy if he gets into it.

I have no idea if this would help – but what about a seat saver of fleece or gel?

My 8 year old son rides and I have not heard any complaints about his boy parts over the eight months he’s been riding. He wears those “boxer briefs”…like regular tight cotton undies, but with legs. He rides in either a pair of cotton jods or his jeans and full chaps. He does ride a pony in a pony saddle that is a more or less appropriate size for him. He rode the big TB I ride once, in the way too big saddle and I didn’t hear a complaint, but then he might have been too worried about not getting bounced off by the great big trot to think about anything getting squished.

I’m told that compression shorts work. They do make them in sizes that would fit a younger boy.

I advise a search on the phrase “wedding tackle” for further advice.:lol:

Along the lines of a seat saver… maybe add a pair of bike shorts, the kind with a little padding? Might help keep potential chafing from jeans and whatnot to a minimum, as well.

Boxer briefs and sitting more on your seat bones will make a huge difference. I’m not a guy but know a tonne of guy riders and that’s the general consensus. I’ve asked. Saddle styles can also make a difference as some just don’t leave enough room for the boys in the pommel area.

Land the wrong way on the landing, or a tight chip and even a lead lined jock won’t help. I got a rough take off at a jump and got myself and all my trainer said " racked yourself, eh". She could tell by my expression of pain. Ladies have problems down there too, so nobody is exempt