Unlimited access >

Out of the mouths of non horsey people - new thread

Not to hijack the thread, but she dragged a Beetle half a mile and didn’t notice? Whoa!

2 Likes

I went to visit a friend in Manhattan. It was winter and the forecast called for snow/rain during my trip, so I wore my boots on the plane and stomped all over NYC with them. I was asked not once but twice how I managed to make my boots look so authentic.

8 Likes

Yup. She’d either sideswiped it or backed into it, I forget which, and it got hung up on the back of the bus. The kids on the bus tried to get her to stop, but she ignored them. The girl IN the Beetle was on the phone with the police and honking her horn at the bus. It finally came loose on its own.

11 Likes

My two all time favorites:

A friend explaining to her children that I had to leave our luncheon to tack up horses for the afternoon lessons: “McGurk has to go put on the horse’s furniture.”

and a different, lovely friend, getting on a horse for a hack in his hunting tack: “Why is this horse wearing a purse?” (Referring to the sandwich case)

13 Likes

How can someone be so oblivious? :open_mouth: Was she charged by the police (I hope so!)

2 Likes

I think she got a ticket, and I think the school district had to pay for the damage to the car, but that’s all.

1 Like

Jeez! I feel so sorry for the poor passenger in the Beetle-- it must have been terrifying!

4 Likes

Holy hell I can’t believe someone was IN THE CAR! I’m surprised there wasn’t a law suit.

5 Likes

I wonder why the passenger(s) didn’t sue, as well.

A little boy, six or seven?, once came up to me and my 14.2, very dark bay mare, his eyes wide with surprise and exuding all the innocence, passion, and imagination of a child, said in an almost reverent, but determined, whisper, “It’s the Black Stallion!”

Not quite, but it made him happy to think so and stroke her nose, and he went away a happy little boy :slight_smile:!

image|257x500

43 Likes

Now, that I don’t mind. Bless his heart and you and your horse for making his day.

7 Likes

A former colleague of mine - a well educated woman in her late twenties - was shocked to learn that horses, in fact, are not just a breed of hornless cows with “fancy tails”.

And another one, though not from a non horsey person:
A breeder was delivering a PRE mare to the barn my friend used to keep her black and rather fat gelding at. He saw the gelding ambling by in the pastures and exclaimed - Oh, that’s a nice Friesian mare! After she gives birth soon, I can offer a quality stallion for you to breed her with!

Said friend immediately put her gelding on a diet after that.

10 Likes

I am a teacher and interact with several of our bus drivers. If I had kids, they would never ride the bus. It is such a stressful, low paying job so it is very hard to find good ones.

4 Likes

A couple of weekends ago I have two young boys, maybe 7 and 5, knock on my door to tell me I had a dead horse in my field. I knew they had been fishing with their grandfather and could see two partures. I smiled and asked, “Was it a baby horse?” They modded. I assured them that the foal was just sleeping. Foals will flop anywhere and with great regularity. The oldest child pushed back and said “He wasn’t breathing.” I knew there was no way he could get close enough to tell and again, foals flop down and sleep all the time. I explained that unless the horse was stiff, it was alive and that all horses will lie down at some point during the day. I also added a great deal of praise for their caring about the foal and coming to me with their report. They were very kind and I appreciated it. I also made sure that grandpa knew I was thankful. Bottom line is that a false report is better than no report if there is a concern. And they were such cute, sweet kids.

34 Likes

I once had my little brown mare pastured with a big flashy sorrel overo mare. A neighbor came by and said, “Which one is yours, the brown one or the black one?” It took me a bit to translate this in my head.

3 Likes

I may have shared this elsewhere, but it fits here, too.
I made a beaded browband for my new horse and when my 5yo niece saw it, she exclaimed “He has a crown! That makes him a prince!”. She also loved his red “shoes” (bell boots).

23 Likes

There was a settlement… but in this town, things generally happen on the quiet.

Bus driving is incredibly stressful. You’re focused on the kids AND the actual act of driving. I’d never do it.

3 Likes

I bought my TB a saddle pad that was burgundy with navy trim & gold piping.
I called it his Andy Frain Usher* uniform. :grin:
*it’s a Chicago Thing

2 Likes

That is adorable!

My lovely SO was at a show with me and they were calling for the short stirrup riders in one of the rings. He waited until we were back at the trailer (just before we were talking with horsey friends) and he gives my saddle a long hard look and asks me “So your stirrups are pretty short, just how short do they have to be for short stirrup?” :joy: I feel terrible for laughing a bit but he was so sincere it was adorable. He made another similar comment recently but I can’t recall it.

23 Likes