Unlimited access >

Out of touch with the US Iberian horse market, clue me in

Their sensitivity/ “hotness” is so mental and interesting. My hano WB mare will once in a while spook at something, has even bolted a couple times, and she’ll be in sheer terror while it’s happening, but then seconds later it’s done. Off her mind. Chill as ever afterwards.

The odd time my lusi has been gotten really spooked (only when we’re on trails alone), he STAYS upset, for a good long while. He doesn’t bolt, it feels like he’s going to, but he instead basically is piaffing/ hopping/ jumping/ dancing like he’s on fire/ snorting, etc., full meltdown, and going “omgomgomgomogmOMG!!!OMGomgOMGO.M.G.omggg!!!” in his little head for a longggg time until he decides we’re safe again (around other horses). So, so different - I can really feel the difference in their history of breeding.

2 Likes

That’s my experience, too. They can get very wound up, but they don’t get dangerous. I think it’s the bred for bullfighting thing: any misbehavior could be fatal (I know they don’t know this, but they are bred and trained to be so responsive and quick,but not to lose it).

3 Likes

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=poeta%20de%20susaeta…

So where are these in the US? Not that I could ride it or afford it, BUT DAMN that is a spectacular stallion.

3 Likes

Really don’t want to turn this into a Lusitano vs PRE thread. Kind of a strange direction.

I wouldn’t necessarily take one over the other, since I’m open to both. Sure I am primarily looking at PRE’s because that’s what I have and most of the connections I’ve made thorough networking have mainly PRE’s. A PRE can be just as mental/sensitive/hot as a Lusitano, if not more. As a generalization, Lusitano horses are hotter, but you’ve got to look at the individual. My PRE is quite sensitive and hot, he’s probably at the more extreme end of the spectrum re PRE’s. A friend has 2 stallions (half brothers) that are much more reasonable and less sensitive than he is, for example. This is also why I’m not hugely worried about what I end up with :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I saw him, and he is very nice. I did see another with similar breeding elsewhere, in my budget, but Piro positive :frowning: That stallion would be totally wasted on me since I will very likely geld mine because I don’t want to deal with the stallion import stuff. That and while I did find a place that will board a stallion, I know that it would limit my options.

I’m sure there are some fantastic stallions in the US, or young horses, even, but I just haven’t been so impressed by any that are actually available (not sold). I believe there are some decent breeders in Mexico but I think Piro also exists there? Not sure, but someone told be to be quite careful. I’m not totally opposed to buying a horse from Mexico though. An acquaintance gave me info for 2 big stud farms, and I’ll take a look if neither of these 2 young ones in Spain work out.

Sorry, did not mean to derail the thread, and certainly didn’t want to pit PRE’s vs Lusitanos. I love both breeds.

Interestingly enough, many years ago, I stumbled across a Mexican PRE. He was a gift to a Tennessee Walking Horse breeder, a very wealthy man. Apparently, the TWH guy sent a couple of stallions to Mexico. Anyway, the guy here passed away and the 2 horses from Mexico were being sold. I bought the PRE. He was very young and very very green. The sweetest thing on 4 legs.

I did a little research on his breeders and they were basically a crime family. A little scary! At the time, I didn’t have the time for a really green, recently gelded youngster,so I sold him. If I knew then what I know now!! Anyway, he was very leggy,gangly, but probably grew up to be fabulous. And not a mean bone in his body.

2 Likes

Interesting story! I generally find Iberian horses to be “nice people”

So I’ve joined some NA based Andalusian groups and I’m confused about the breeding in NA. I hardly see any good solid Baroque style horses. They’re all so small (not necessarily height wise) and fine. Lacking a lot of the physical characteristics that I like. Maybe I’m more into “old style” or a less popular type horse, but it’s still prominent in Spain.

Obviously this FB sample does not include every NA bred horse, but there’s a notable difference between the NA/USA FB groups horses and the Spain/Europe group horses.

So I guess that’s a thing? Or just what I’m seeing in a small sample size. Possibly depends on your personal preferences too. Obviously there are nice NA bred ones out there!

I’m on tenterhooks over here awaiting piro test results.

3 Likes

Yeechhh!!! Looks and moves like a warmblood

That’s why I love him I guess!

1 Like

Yes, many of the NA bred PREs tend to be mealy. Good work can add muscle, but the baroque style is out of fashion here. I personally was not impressed with the feet and bone of the domestic youngsters I saw. The gelding I bought is a more modern type, taller and a bit more athletic in build. But he has some of the best feet I’ve ever seen, solid bone, and plenty of muscle and substance…and a great neck. What is a Spanish horse without a good neck?

It is hard to get really good breeding mares from Spain. The breeders really don’t want to let them go. I asked, because I like mares, and my contact basically laughed at me. Maybe other people would have more luck, but that was my experience. You can buy semen, but without a super quality mare, you simply have to hope that the stallion improves whatever you have. And that is what I think many of the NA breeders are working with.

2 Likes

Yes, “mealy” that’s a good description. It’s not bad to have a lighter type for all around stuff, especially if you want to dabble in some jumping or eventing. I do prefer some substance though. Some of the necks do get a little too big though, on some stallions. My current gelding is in the middle.

It’s also more expensive to import mares vs semen, so there’s that too. I’ve seen some decent mares pop up for sale, moreso recently. I was actually a bit disappointed because they were mares and quite nice, but I’m not looking for a mare :sweat_smile: I can imagine it is difficult to assemble a quality band of mares.

There’s also some breeders that, IMO, don’t value mares enough and rely too heavily on the stallion to influence the foal and its traits.

1 Like

Step 1 for my first choice horse has been completed: piro negative!

Still many steps to go.

9 Likes

Good news!!

If you’re thinking Mexico…at least some eye candy. If I recall correctly, Gremlan Farms used to import youngsters from here; I don’t believe they’re in that business any longer.

greys

1 Like

Just wandered over to their FB page and website…now they’ve got some nice types! Some of them are huge! 1.82m! My current one is 1.60m and that’s perfect. After shopping around the smaller, but solid, type isn’t as common. Mine was in the 1.50’s as a 4 year old. This was perfect for me. Many seem so big now. Which isn’t bad, I’m just not a big person with a need for a big horse :sweat_smile: totally a personal preference. I just think that medium size is best. Really nice selection from them though.

The one I’m vetting is bigger than preferred, also the wrong color, but a nice horse is a nice horse.

1 Like

If you are looking for a young, quality horse in Spain may I suggest Charlotte Goode / Yeguada del Lago? My trainer has had very positive experiences buying from her and her horses are lovely.

1 Like

I lived on Warmbloods when I was horse shopping for 2 years and there are several Andalusians listed here that have been on the market for months. Maybe it’s the individual horse or maybe owners forgot to pull the ads after a sale? It’s interesting.

Both of the ones listed near me have been on there for a long time and both are still available. One I have seen at shows but not the other, so no idea if it’s a pricing issue, behaviour issue, quality issue or what.

Wow! Some really nice horses. The bone on those stallions. Legs like tree trunks. Love it. Like @CanteringCarrot, I like the baroque ones.

But we have a really nice more modern type in our barn right now. And a friend just sold her more modern type for a lot. Very nice horses.

2 Likes

I’m with you on the “medium-sized’ ones. I don’t compete, so I love the baroque chonkers with the big bone and deep back end. But as you say, different strokes and all. I can understand those who want to be competitive wanting the larger, more contemporary moving horses.

As you say, a nice horse is a nice horse. My newest guy is bigger than I’d wanted, and not my preferred color…and still absolutely perfect!

Good luck with your vetting!

greys

1 Like