Unlimited access >

Out of touch with the US Iberian horse market, clue me in

I’m with you on the baroque! And I can appreciate the good modern ones too.

I am enchanted by the Carthusian lines. I like the line in the trailer above: they are so generous that they will try to give you what they don’t even have.

Horse of kings!

greys

3 Likes

It could be x-ray issues. It keeps a lot of horses in general for sale for a long time (they just keep failing vets, especially with how extensively people will x-ray now).

1 Like

Lovely video. My little mare is Carthusian. She has an amazing, (usually) calm temperament. She’s brave as anything.

5 Likes

Lovely! My first one had me at hello with the presence, intelligence, and assuredness in his eyes. I find the sensitivity is not for everyone, but we get along just fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

greys

2 Likes

Wonderful video. Love these horses. I can get goosebumps watching Glamourdale, but these horses touch my heart in a totally different way.

3 Likes

Vetted a 3 year old in Spain and found a few things on the x-rays that I’m not comfortable with on a just backed 3 year old.

There’s another I like but the owner has been on holiday and still is, so we haven’t even been able to do step 1 (piro test).

So back to square one, really. I did find a nice Piro free youngster, that’s quite my type (shorter and Baroque) but I almost don’t want to buy from this agent because she takes ages to reply to any message. Scheduling a vetting has been hard so I’ve sort of given up on that one.

Might just chill for a bit and give the whole horse thing a rest and persue some other things in life. I have a lot going on at the moment anyway.

2 Likes

That is so annoying. I know an agent in Andalusia that is wondefful. PM if you like. Oh, and another that seems to have connections all over Europe. I trust them both.

1 Like

I can PM you the contact info for the lady who sold me my youngster. If she doesn’t have one that suits you, she can find one. Let me know…

Feel free to PM me.

If you can…someone once said they couldn’t but idk why or how to fix that, I’d that’s the case.

I like and trust the contact for the horse that “failed” the vetting but she just doesn’t have anything else that’s suitable at the moment.

Your profile is hidden so I can’t…

Ok, I tried to “unhide” it but can’t figure it out…give me a minute :sweat_smile:

Nm I got it!! pm sent.

1 Like

So I followed up with some of the leads on here but today I spontaneously went to a Spanish stud here in Germany. We happened to be in the area, somewhat, so we contacted them and went to have a look. A friend has 2 horses from this breeder and they have the same sire. The ones I looked at also are by the same stallion. Really old bloodlines, some Cathusian. She really tries to preserve these lines and makes solid, good moving, and brave horses.

I was able to meet the sire and dams of all of the youngsters, visit them in their fields, and watch them move. The 2 that I thought I’d be the most interested in, ended up not being as interesting to me as the one I thought I wouldn’t be so interested in (took a peek online beforehand). :sweat_smile: There was a lovely filly too, but not sure I quite want to pay so much for a yearling, but she is worth it, no doubt.

The colt that I really liked was the first to come to me and his eyes and expression are so, so, sweet. I think he’s going to make a nice solid type. So I’m considering vetting him. I would like to wait to geld him (he’s 1.5 years old) but no boarding barns in my new area will take a stallion, or he’d be on stall board and I want him on pasture board for awhile, with the most social possibilities (and movement possibilities too). So I think he’d be gelded before he leaves here.

He’s exactly 1.5 years younger than I wanted :rofl: but there are some benefits to raising and backing your own horse. Just have to find something to ride in the meantime so I don’t get too rusty. If all works out, I’ll make sure to post some pics. Still early days though, so we’ll see.

18 Likes

A bit late to the party but if anyone is planning a buying trip to Spain I can recommend the stud I bought from - Yeguada La Perla. It’s a Lusitano stud with a definite focus on dressage breeding, but the horses have the most incredible upbringing out in the mountains north of Madrid.
The stud manager Leonie is Austrian and fluent in several languages.
One of their stallions Alcaide represented Spain at WEG & Olympics.
My girl is from gold medal winning stock, moves like mercury on glass and has the most incredible kind, willing and trainable personality, she was also an absolute bargain as a 3 yr old!
They mostly sell into Europe, but when I was there viewing an American family were also there so they do export to the US too.
If money was no object I would have a yard full of their horses - I had to choose between 7 I would have sold my soul for when I was there and any one of them would have been a dream horse.

7 Likes

Maybe the breeder will let you keep him there to grow up a year or so before gelding?

i found a colt once that i wanted to leave intact for as long as possible. The breeder allowed me to board him there and there is where i greenbacked him and trained him, he was a little over 4 when i gelded him and moved him. It was quite a distance from my home so i only got out there on weekends, and as-to not put the breeders out too much, (they let me stay in the barn…there was a little apartment in there) i only went every-other weekend. In the end, it was wonderful…he had a lot of freedom to run and grow strong and i was able to bring him up the way i wanted.

1 Like

If you go to the main menu for messages you should be able to do it by choosing new message and entering the username.

I thought about this…but I want to see him :sweat_smile: I don’t know if I can be patient enough to wait to see him again when he’s still in Europe and I’m in the US.

It has crossed my mind because where I am moving to…the boarding options are really lacking in my new area. I’m hoping we’ll only be there for a few years though.

3 Likes

Besides the great advice that you’ve gotten, consider contacting Don E Mor in NC. They used to breed and train a TON of baroque horses but stopped as the owners reached retirement. They have an amazing facility that I’ve done working equitation clinics at. Victoria can give you insight into her career and may be able to give you leads on quality places to now purchase baroque horses. They bred many really nice Lusitano horses and I sort of drool in the times I’ve done multi-day clinics at her place.

1 Like

…still waiting on Piro test results from blood taken last Monday. I’ve never had it take this long. I mean, clocks do tick differently in Southern Germany, but still. I’m on tenterhooks over here!

So no progress made.

Interestingly a vet clinic in the next “state” issued a warning about Piroplasmosis. They basically just made a post to draw attention to it because it’s become more widespread in Germany and horses who have been born here and never left are now getting it. In Spain there’s basically herd immunity, here, not so much. Horses can die, but typically if you keep their immune system strong, and treat the symptoms, they’ll recover quite well and either it will be eliminated (not show up in the blood) out of the system in a few years with one strain, or they’ll be a carrier for life if it’s the other strain.

So many horses in Spain are positive. So many. Including horses with high price tags. If it starts having an impact on the Warmbloods and that import market I wonder what will happen. I’m not sure if they can devise a better treatment or a vaccine for this, but it might spur them a bit.

My horse is very healthy and I’ve had him for 5 years, so it’s frustrating.

2 Likes