Pelvic fracture whine...

Hi everyone!

Some of you may remember me as the reRider with Ankylosing Spondylitis - Motley Crue’s Mick Mars’ disease - spinal arthritis.

Got a super therapy gelding for Xmas '09, and spent the winter riding - mostly at a walk - going around in circles in the indoor arena. Boring, yes, but still great therapy, and a huge improvement in my overall fitness and range of motion.

So now comes Spring, and off we go hacking, mostly at a walk, and thanking the Good Lord for the fresh air and change of scenery.

Second week into our new freedom, and we’re down for the count. Horse got zapped by stray voltage, about a football field’s distance from Hydro Towers and went crazy. I bailed before he could Sonny Bono me into the woods at a full gallop, and ended up with a fractured pelvis, concussion, whiplash, and a broken tooth. Thank Goodness, he’s fine - though he has burn marks on his head where the voltage exited!

Me, I’m on 6 weeks bedrest, and then 6 more weeks rehab before I can remount.

I’m whining cuz I’m missing the best hacking time of year, and I’m sore and miserable.

Anyone have any thoughts on rehabbing from a pelvic fracture? I am dutifully following doc’s orders, and taking my pain meds. Still looking forward to the First Shower!

True Grit, How did you get so attractive??

O.M.G.!!! How on earth did this happen? What is a hydro tower? Do you feel up to giving us more details, so we can be aware of the early warning signs of an impending ZOT?

I am amazed that both of you are still alive. How is your horse? (What a coth thing to say:eek:)

What can we do to help you feel better? i have a close riding friend that I visited alot while she was recovering from a fractured pelvis. are sitting up yet? Still in bed? p.M me and I will try to find out what she liked best at each stage, so I can pass on the useful info.

I am so sorry that this happened to you! I was elated when you got your horse, too…

Big Hugs!!!

Ohhhh the first shower is AMAZING. :slight_smile:

Do follow doctor’s orders about the riding bit. I got a mite hasty and now my symphasis is just never going to be quite right.

Keep yourself as entertained as possible. I’m assuming you’re non-weight bearing? Horse movies, magazines, books. I got a bit compulsive about doing crossword puzzles.

yikes though. No good getting zapped!

ahh dear whicker & Class Action… hugs received! and returned!

Here in Canuckistan ( Canada, on the map ), at least in Southern Ontario, we have these hydro - electric towers dottting the landscape, providing us with our Clean Energy. The tower near our hack must have had a short, or overloaded voltage into the ground, which is often referred to as “stray voltage”. It’s apparently not an uncommon occurrence in these parts, but relatively unknown among the good citizens.

It’s truly a miracle that we survived at all. My first concern upon being admitted to Hospital was My Horse - hows my HORSE!!! An unauthorized cell phone call from my hospital bed to the barn - when nurses were out of the room - confirmed that he is fine, but for small burns. Hubbys been up to visit him several times and console him, and staff are taking very good care of him. I miss him terribly - they`ve been sending pics of him from their cell phones. :slight_smile:

I`m now home and can now make it to the bathroom with a little-old-lady Rollator, but the Shower is still on hold. Big improvement over the first couple of days…

My fracture and my arthritis are both screaming for attention… sigh … but my head stopped pounding a few days ago. The helmet was a lifesaver too - I got clocked by overhanging branches, and then again when I hit the ground. Great protection - much better than the elastic strap blue velvet one I had as a kid. But let`s not turn this into a helmet thread, if possible. Just giving thanks where thanks is due.

I am also seriously considering synthetic horseshoes for him, as he was shod with regular steel shoes all around - which conducts current. I`d be very interested in learning more about these synthetic horse shoes, so if anyone has any experience, let me know!

and I`ll happily PM you for any helpful coping tips! thanks!

Holy crap. Glad you and horse are ok. Damn!

THIS!!!

I am so glad you are both (relatively) okay!!!

:eek: :eek:

I used to get nauseous feeling when we’d ride under the high tension wires at the old farm I worked at. Hated it. But then, I had enough trailriding for a lifetime when I worked at the ranch…

I am so sorry you’re down and out and hurting.

One winter when I was grounded, I very deliberately set about ‘studying’ instead. Mostly books, some articles… there weren’t the plethora of DVDS or online lessons back then that there are now… but at the end of 18 mos of being grounded, I’d been back in the saddle only a few weeks, and one of my instructors commented on how improved my seat was. ! ! It was the mental rehearsal… the imaging, etc.

I’m sure with PT and such, the last thing you want to do is more repetitive work, but if you can ‘ride in your mind’, it will help keep you fit and supple… Recreate those circles in the indoor. Recreate the GOOD hacks (don’t go there so much with the zap… :eek: ) Go there in your mind and close your eyes, and really, truly feel it.

Studies show that athletes who truly visualize workouts and practice increase strength and agility and skill almost as much as if they were actually doing reps.

Other than that, I offer my most sincere “GET WELL SOON” prayers!

Will ask farrier

I’m waiting for my farrier. he is a guru and Janek Vluggen the super guru osteo from Holland is here today. I will ask both of them for you.

big Hugs!!!

first info

first thoughts from farrier-

The nails would conduct electricity, too. Need to have a different concept. He is going to check with one of the guru inventor farriers who is currently in Dubai shoeing for a sheik. emails are so useful.

maybe a glue-on, but problems with that, too.

Maybe barefoot, since you have time for your horse to acclimate while you are not riding in competition. We have had to do barefoot for a couple of mine that were having problems with their feet, and it turned out better than I thought it would.

I will ask about hoof boots.

There is also a sole goo, I think called “sole guard” that the endurance riders are using for the 100 mile endurance rides. That is what we are going to use for one of our huge tb’s if we have to take him on roads, say, foxhunting.

Hugs,
Robin

calling Lawrence of Arabia!

You know you’ve come to the right place when your COTHer-mate interrupts her farrier whilst he is shoeing for a sheik in Dubai! :lol:

Yes, the synthetic shoeing idea gets even more problematic when eliminating the metal shoeing nail.

Barefoot may be the safest way to go - but I’ve never tried it.

Does the Sole Goo go on the barefoot hoof? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question - pain meds, and all…

And across the Pond from Dubai : here we still have no answer from the utility company - except for a rather uninterested bureaucratic response which stated that they take 21 days to respond to a Complaint! sigh I can’t print what I’m thinking… :rolleyes:

You’ll be jes fine!!

Good Golly Miss Molly! :eek: That actually happened!! Yeeesh!!!
But back to your pelvis…just takes time to heal. Take it easy and let pain be your guide. If it hurts; don’t do it!!! It’s a broken bone you know so…let R heal!!! Spend a lotta time on COTH…join some trainwrecks! That’ll pass the time!

And have a question for ya…things Wateryglen doesn’t know…Whats a “Sonny Bono”…and Motley Crue Mick Mars Disease? I KNOW what spinal arthritis/ankylosing arthrits etc is but never heard of that term before. Is that YOUR term or a bonafide medical term I just didn’t know?!! :winkgrin::smiley:
I confess a secondary passion for warped medical terminology & phrases.

Be well, heal, then return to normal !! You’ll be fine!! Just takes time!!!

Yikes! Massive jingles to both you and your horse. Speedy recovery to both.

P.

The things I learn on COTH. Stray voltage…:no::no::no: lived in the city too long. Take things slow. Use this time for research and ME time. Take care!!!

Help for your horse

Hi True Grit,

Well,

You certainly know how to make vet history! Janek Vluggen and Dr. Jeannie Waldron, my guru vet, have disssected cadavers of horses who have died from being electrocuted. Jeannie has been first vet called after the horse was zapped. Everyone, vets and owners, at this clinic were amazed that you both lived . Both Jeannie and Janek want to help you.

Janek was just in Toronto before he came to Va. He was so sad that he didn’t know while he was there, because he wanted to help you so much.

Both of them want you to know that your horse should improve over the next 2 years, and they can help you.

Everyone wants to emphasize that you do NOT ride anywhere near that hydro-tower as the problem is not likely to be fixed until there is sufficient pressure from outside sources.

I am sending you a p.m.

I got you, babe!

My goodness, wateryglen - you sure know how to make an ol’ gal chuckle!

Once upon a time, there was a popular singing duo by the name of Sonny & Cher. ( They even had their own TV show back in the day - the '70’s. ) A number of years ago, Sonny died in a fatal skiing accident, when he lost control, went off course, and crashed into some trees. Their daughter Chastity, has now morphed into becoming their son Chaz, after some surgery and hormone therapy - but that’s a whole nuther story! :winkgrin:

With regards to Mick Mars & Motley Crue - well, a lot more folks have heard of them than have ever heard of Ankylosing Spondylitis - so I use him as a pop culture reference for this disease. :wink:

Gotta love COTHers! we’re a warped demographic - that’s for sure! :lol:

used to wanna be Rich & Famous…

[QUOTE=whicker;4825726 ]

You certainly know how to make vet history! [/QUOTE]

…so now I’ve just gotta get rich! :lol:

Update from the stable: horsey is fine after a thorough Vet Check. Apparently the Vet was amazed !!!

Whicker, what leads your gurus to believe he’ll need 2 years to fully recover? and in what way? should I be worried?!? :confused:

Worrying is something I’m very good at already…

I promised you a pm. It is coming!

ended up with a fractured pelvis, concussion, whiplash, and a broken tooth. Thank Goodness, he’s fine - though he has burn marks on his head where the voltage exited!

This is a prime example of how goofy horse people are (in a good way… sort of) You are injured… significantly and you are thrilled the horses is missing some hair.

Thank God you are “mostly” ok.

My dear friend broke her pelvis in 3 places when a horse flipped on her. We put a plastic lawn chair in the shower so she could sit and clean the dirt off…
She also found ways to vacuum as I was silly and got her a wheel chair… In hind sight it was one of the funniest sights to see her wheeling herself angrily around her home vacuuming a small area at a time and wheeling herself to the next spot, with the vacuum between her feet/legs.

Popping in to say WHOA, super glad you and your horse are still alive!

I don’t have much experience with electrocution (I HATED, H A T E D!, physics) so not much to add there other than I would think that even barefoot the horse would conduct some electricity…then there is the issue of longer strands of grass/brush that would reach up over the hoof to brush electricity against the pastern etc. (**NB: Consult your local electrician, I have no doctorate in electrical thingies)

Are we brainstorming shoeing ideas as a route to possible prevention of another “attack” or is there a lameness issue now?

True Grit is silly!!

OOooohhhhhh!!! Mick Mars is a PERSON!!! oohhhhh!! Now I get it!! :lol: And he must have a bad back??? Poor baby…is he cute??? Is anybody in that band cute!!! :eek::winkgrin: Me thinks not…

And OOoooohhhh! Of course I knew WHO Sony Bono was (silly girl!) but I didn’t know how he met his maker! Bummer! I hate when that happens!! :winkgrin:

But honestly, True Grit, you GOTTA work on your pop-culture rock references! :rolleyes: I wouldn’t think of Sonny when thinking about losing control and Mick Mars??!!!?? Nope, neither of them would come to MY mind when I’m being electrocuted! Nope.

If we don’t laugh at electrocution; we’d be way to overstressed. You know my motto! If it hurts; don’t do it!!! :winkgrin::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Give the pony a big kiss for us! He just dodged “the big one”!!!