Unlimited access >

People Attempting to Undermine Safe Sport

I’m disappointed that Equestrian Canada seemingly didn’t share any information with USEF, especially considering this is a trainer known to operate in both countries. Given the quick American response today, I can only assume that they hadn’t received any information until now.

7 Likes

I look forward to reading the official statement(s) from the respective governing bodies involved in this.

2 Likes

It didn’t seem to me that they knew, since they wrote in their reply that they gave the information to SafeSport yesterday, which is when I sent them the email. Their reply email came quite early this morning stating this, and thanking me for letting them know about the situation.

I guess Canada doesn’t do SafeSport like the U.S. does or EC could have gone that route and USEF would have been aware. Anyway, they know now and that’s the important part. Safety of the kiddos first.

Edited for clarity.

5 Likes

Why would they make “official statements”? The guy got busted, charged, is out and is now suspended by Safe Sport. Not much else they can say.

2 Likes

I wonder if he was able to get into the U.S.

2 Likes

So that they don’t look like a collective bag of phalluses for inaction on their part? EC apparently didn’t do anything and the USEF supposedly didn’t know, despite the notable name and controversy.

3 Likes

EC suspended him, and they only made the announcement yesterday. I think USEF did very well.
COTH just had the information first. That’s happened before.

5 Likes

On paper yes. In practice, not so much it would seem, since he’s apparently not been flagged for a Safesport suspension by EC, despite their proclamation of taking action against him. They put him on the “suspended for other” list, which isn’t where he should have been. Then there’s the matter of them having apparently said that he is to be given unhindered access to showgrounds.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen any of that. I’m not a facebooker. I did see the announcement on the EC website that the police want any other of his victims to please come forward.

2 Likes

Notable name? Is he famous? I’ve never heard of him.

2 Likes

I don’t know his name either. Apparently he coached a bronze medal winner in NAJRC 10 years ago, and has an ongoing program in Quebec.

EC sanctioned him last Spring and was awaiting results of their “internal investigation”. Guess the law beat them to it. That bit of weirdness makes me glad to have SafeSport in the U.S.

3 Likes

Definitely not famous, more of a coach and, I believe, horse sales. Bianca Lafontaine, who has been with him since the end of her junior years, does the riding for the barn.

1 Like

An elderly man named Gerald Bearden, of Hawaii, has been added to the Safesport list. He seems to be nothing more than a guy who judged shows and rode competitively in California, in the 60’s and 70’s, apparently stopping in the 70’s.

1 Like

He was there yesterday, before Berger was added today.

He’s definitely on there: https://www.equestrian.ca/about/safe-sport/disciplinary-sanctions

It’s under “Other Not in Good Standing” (the other category is “Administrative Not in Good Standing”).

Using the search tool on EC’s page brings up the press release about the police but not the sanctions list.

He goes by his middle name. He was a very popular and successful eventing coach in Calif.

1 Like

Ah. So he’s of the Poplar Place Beardens. That makes sense, given the middle name.

1 Like

Doug Masters - not to be confused with the greatest fighter pilot in the history of the USAF - of Lexington, KY has FINALLY received a Safesport sanction of permanent ineligibility for having relations with underage riders connected to his family stable, Masters Show Stables. Diane Masters, also of Masters Show Stables, has also been sanctioned for failing to report the transgressions to Safesport, with a temporary suspension and stipulations of no contact and re-education.

8 Likes

I think they just updated the list last week, might be working out kinks. It was down when I tried to check the week before this came out.

Yes, Poplar Place of SF East Bay area. Not Georgia.