Unlimited access >

People Attempting to Undermine Safe Sport

Before I start down this road, let me perfectly clear about something. No one who speaks out against SafeSport is against its primary mission of protecting athletes and children from sexual predators. No one who speaks out against the process of how people are banned for life is engaged in victim shaming. No one who thinks that the punishment doesn’t match the crime is not arguing for child molesters or rapists. By and large these are serious professionals who want the process to be fair and sustainable. I find the ad hominem attacks on individuals who are engaged in the process by those that aren’t to be quite unfair and counterproductive.

I have been watching SafeSport develop since before the law creating it was passed. Many legal commentaries were writen that expressed profound concerns that warned its creators about the possible pitfalls of instituting a bad process. To be effective and fair, SafeSport should have ensured that the staff and process was interested in discovering truth and gave firm protections to the accused as well as the accuser. The organization has the ability to brand someone as a child molester or rapist which in our society is as close as you get to shunning, irreparably damages reputations and destroys ones ability to earn a living… It has to be done right. Unfortunately, what we hoped would happen has not happened and SafeSport has made significant missteps in its pursuit of the accused.

This is not a debatable issue. It is a fact that people like Bonnie Navin are trying to correct by calling attention to it.

The deference shown to anonymous allegations stands as a major policy problem for SafeSport. It allows people to claim victimhood who are not entitled to it. Because SafeSport allows anonymous allegations to be investigated using a method that does not require the accuser to provide evidence other than their own claims, concerns about an improper relationship or questionable “grooming” behavior, we have seen a sharp rise in the use of allegations for the purpose of revenge or as a way of claiming a competitive advantage.

Coaches have been accused in order to put their positions in question, athletes have been accused to keep them out of major competitions and official have been accused in order to intimidate them. I know of a prominent athlete in another sport who received a call from the lead SafeSport investigator to inquire as to whether she had been having affair with the US team coach, a man she had not seen for over a year. Safesport encourages people who see things where they want to see them , feel compelled to report rumors and innuendo, or worse, use SafeSport to further their own agendas.

The warning to Olympic hopefuls is real. Jeff Galouli used a crow bar to ensure Tanya Hardings spot on the team. How much easier is It to just pick up the phone and leave an anonymous message?. I am afraid we are going to see a lot more of this because there are really no safe guards against it.

4 Likes

The sad thing is that @packy mcgaughan undoubtedly believes everything he/she wrote.

I especially love the list of falsehoods and half-truths followed by the claim that “this is not a debatable issue.”

31 Likes

Packy, I’ll agree with you that not everyone who speaks against SafeSport is against its primary mission of protecting athletes from predators.

It is obviously and easily shown to be false that “No one” who does is against that goal. Some of the people who speak against it are convicted predators. Many who are not have dismissed the value of the survivors again and again and again.

People in this community, when asked to choose between a dead man and an Olympic medallist on this issue, chose the dead man.

No one who speaks out against the process of how people are banned for life is engaged in victim shaming.

Hundreds of people have in fact done exactly that, and with their real names attached. Read any Facebook thread on any COTH article on the topic of any of the stories - and you will see it. Against not just GM’s victims, but Rob Gage’s and Jimmy Williams’. Diann Langer experienced it from her article and she didn’t even name the man who molested her.

Where have you been?

No one who thinks that the punishment doesn’t match the crime is not arguing for child molesters or rapists. By and large these are serious professionals who want the process to be fair and sustainable. I find the ad hominem attacks on individuals who are engaged in the process by those that aren’t to be quite unfair and counterproductive.

I have been watching SafeSport develop since before the law creating it was passed. Many legal commentaries were writen that expressed profound concerns that warned its creators about the possible pitfalls of instituting a bad process. To be effective and fair, SafeSport should have ensured that the staff and process was interested in discovering truth and gave firm protections to the accused as well as the accuser. The organization has the ability to brand someone as a child molester or rapist which in our society is as close as you get to shunning, irreparably damages reputations and destroys ones ability to earn a living… It has to be done right. Unfortunately, what we hoped would happen has not happened and SafeSport has made significant missteps in its pursuit of the accused.

Because? Lay out your evidence.

This is not a debatable issue. It is a fact that people like Bonnie Navin are trying to correct by calling attention to it.

I wrote and deleted several responses here that I think in the end were not appropriate. But Packy, you don’t get to decide what is debatable for all the rest of us.

The deference shown to anonymous allegations stands as a major policy problem for SafeSport. It allows people to claim victimhood who are not entitled to it. Because SafeSport allows anonymous allegations to be investigated using a method that does not require the accuser to provide evidence other than their own claims, concerns about an improper relationship or questionable “grooming” behavior, we have seen a sharp rise in the use of allegations for the purpose of revenge or as a way of claiming a competitive advantage.

Yes, SafeSport allows anonymous reporting. However, they are unable to build a case on an anonymous tip alone. What they can do is follow it and see if it leads to actual evidence. Like if someone calls the sheriff (our sheriff has an anonymous tipline that they beg the public to use) and says someone was murdered and the body is at location x. The sheriff goes to location x and there’s a body there or not. That the anonymous tip encouraged them to look there is irrelevant to the case and in no way invalidates their independent evidence that someone was murdered.

Victims are not anonymous to the accused nor to SafeSport investigators when the case goes forward. No one is banned for life based solely on an anonymous phone call, as you and so many others are implying.

Coaches have been accused in order to put their positions in question, athletes have been accused to keep them out of major competitions and official have been accused in order to intimidate them. I know of a prominent athlete in another sport who received a call from the lead SafeSport investigator to inquire as to whether she had been having affair with the US team coach, a man she had not seen for over a year. Safesport encourages people who see things where they want to see them , feel compelled to report rumors and innuendo, or worse, use SafeSport to further their own agendas.

So let’s tell those stories. If SafeSport is bumbling and needs better management, then sure, we’re all in. But I’m not convinced by your anecdote.

That SafeSport would call to check in with an athlete and see if a report they received was true is exactly what they should do. Having gotten that report, what do you think should have happened?

The warning to Olympic hopefuls is real. Jeff Galouli used a crow bar to ensure Tanya Hardings spot on the team. How much easier is It to just pick up the phone and leave an anonymous message?. I am afraid we are going to see a lot more of this because there are really no safe guards against it.

Meanwhile, we have people totally upset that a man who went through the process after two survivors testified directly, went past the SafeSport process and an independent arbitrator with what I am sure were excellent attorneys, admitted to all kinds of questionable and rulebreaking behavior in his own autobiography… was banned… and yet somehow this is handwaved off as a witch hunt. Pro tip: don’t write it down.

54 Likes

Except posts on Facebook indicate the victim shaming is frighteningly overt. Or is calling Hilary Ridland a murderer not as unfair and counterproductive as wondering about Bonnie Navin’s seemingly unprofessional posts?

Can you give us actual examples? TS is the only one I know of and those allegations were not he said/she said. The investigation was made, it was found the accuser had invented parts of her story and he was cleared.

By your own statements, shouldn’t that coach have just been summarily banned by safe sport based on the allegations? Are you saying Safe Sport shouldn’t have called her? Why not?

25 Likes

What amazes me is somehow the equine world insists that these policies are detrimental despite being policies for DECADES in areas of our lives that involve children. It amazes me how professionals in our sport think that somehow it’s harder/unfair/etc despite evidence to the contrary. It amazes me how people can say it’s not good enough and unfair but cannot outline in detail what changes they want to see.
@packy mcgaughan it would do your crowd more good to outline actual solutions than just scream it’s not fair.

26 Likes

I find it ironic that Packy makes his case for why anonymous evidence and hearsay is bad solely with anonymous evidence and hearsay.

46 Likes

:lol: So true.

6 Likes

I hope we all agree that these horrific crimes, and that is what they are, are not to be tolerated, accepted or swept under the rug. That being said I think it is also important to question and want answers and accountability from any oversight like this. While I personally support Safe Sport, I do not think it is perfect and I appreciate people like Packy, who I know is a good person asking questions and wanting transparency , accountability and fairness . I think there is a vocal minority that seems to miss the point and that is sad - but their anti Safe Sport stance should not blind us to those and ourselves expecting Safe Sport to be immaculate in its process.

Interesting that you picked this out, of all things, a situation that has nothing to do with SafeSport. But the imagery of poor Streetwise won’t leave me now.

11 Likes

Interesting that you picked this out, of all things, a situation that has nothing to do with SafeSport. But the imagery of poor Streetwise won’t leave me now.

I don’t think people questioning it and wanting fairness, accountability and transparency is a bad thing per se. It is however tiresome when that’s all one hears with no actual viable solutions.

We get it. People aren’t happy with the process. Start proposing solutions.

Oh and that Athletes for Equity thing would be more of a starter if it wasn’t just the horsey set.

10 Likes

Of course- I live in a large city with its share of problems and no one is discounting them but it is the same complaints without solutions or community problem solving- it is sadly equated with victim blaming ( in the case of crime) and it is not so- Like I said I support the goals of Safe Sport and believe it is long overdue.

2 Likes

@packy mcgaughan Again, there will be an opportunity for your concerns to be heard and your questions answered here;https://www.ushja.org/news/ushja-new…ship-safesport.

I hope that people who are worried about the process will attend. It will be a much more effective manner of having your concerns addressed than forming groups online.

6 Likes

it’s funny to me that again, as I stated earlier, most big name actual still current show jumpers are behind the decision and the process, and the one big name who is opposed himself has real problems in that area, but is not American.

I am absolutely not hearing this outcry of the dangers of weeding out sexual predators from my camp.

I think Packy and company overestimate the number of child rapists in the general horse world, which says a lot of really bad things about that small circle.

9 Likes

But there has been overt victim blaming on Facebook. I don’t think Packy’s post is victim blaming but when people post comments calling HR a murderer… you can’t deny there IS victim blaming.

Even on CoTH. At the beginning of the GHM thread someone expressed doubt about the claims against GHM because a minor could have gotten something out of it. Granted the person knows nothing about GHM beyond his name but that is victim blaming under the guise of not knowing.

10 Likes

And the score is Poltroon 2 and Packy 0

17 Likes

I too would love to have some examples of this behavior. You would think there would be more than one “testimonial” about the atrocities of SafeSport investigations if this were true.

8 Likes

The USHJA meeting will be livestreamed for those who can not attend.

It is understandable that people are interested in the Safe Sport process and want to learn more, however the near hysteria online coming from some people, seems a lot like fear to me. There is a difference between wanting to learn about the process and having it be fair, and the real freak out about Safe Sport that we are seeing from some folks.

Fear is natural if you or your friends are concerned that your past behavior may be coming back to haunt you. When the rot includes some people in high places it is difficult for the people involved in the sport to face. At first.

The sport will only get better when people in the H/J world are no longer allowed to prey on children.

15 Likes

There are also a lot of people eliding that SafeSport has options other than Permanently Ineligible.

FiSk123, a journalist who comes to us from figure skating, did an analysis of the people from all sports listed as Permanently Ineligible. Nearly all in that bucket come from a criminal conviction. Some have pretty compelling stories and kind of horrifying reasons why the case did not go to trial (in one the victim died before she could testify at the trial). You can search for her posts but here is one with some data.

Some counts from her search are here.

8 Likes

I support safe sport. And here’s what I would change. The statute of limitations. I think it should be similar to what is used for sex harassment cases. There is a specific SOL, but if you can show a pattern you get to reach farther back under the “continuing violations doctrine.”

If we are trying to keep our kids safe (and I have a vested interest in this having a 13 year old daughter who rides), it seems safe sport needs to decide at some level whether it is trying to be punitive or protective. I’d like to see the focus on protective. We cannot right the wrongs of the distant past through safe sport. This is not to diminish what victims went through at all, I cannot imagine being a victim or having my daughter be a victim of some of the horrific things I read about. My $.02 it’s that we need to make sure there are not future victims and to care for current victims. I think focusing on allegations from 25+ years ago–where there is no intervening, continuing violation(s)–is not the best use of resources, does not flesh out child predators, and fosters ill will (which our kids hear about; it would be much better to have a united front we could all get behind–maybe that’s pie in the sky, but “no current predators/violators” seems like something almost everyone would support). I’d much rather see time and money put into keeping current violators and predators out of the organization and educating parents and kids about what to look for and what their rights are.

I also think there should be three member arbitrator panels for lifetime ban cases. It’s more than just being excluded from a club in reality given the aiding and abetting rules.

And better discovery, if not depositions, at least written interrogatories. The purpose of discovery is to obtain facts and information that will reveal the truth in a matter. Again, maybe this could be limited to lifetime ban cases.

5 Likes