Unlimited access >

Pinto Warmblood Pedigree Help!!!

Repeat this mantra: Warmbloods are not breeds. They are mixed horses who are graded or born into registries.

Nice looking horse though OP. Clip and soak his left flank to see if he has a brand.

There are Polish warmblood pintos. Some of those are trakehners who are polish warmblood pintos in the trakehner registry. Never heard of a holsteiner pinto but there might be some. And of course the Samber line out of the Dutch Warmbloods. Samber was allowed into the dutch registry because of his performance in jumping and in dressage and for the color. But all are mixed breed horses. No purebreds.

[QUOTE=Nootka;8703677]
I just noticed you said Buckskin Pinto.

No dilution in Han or Holst. Trak dilution just very very recently happened. Your dude may be a Paint x with WB. Not unheard of. He may also be a TB x Paint with those colors. Maybe the TB was related to Euro blood and that is how the results came up. Unfortunately, you won’t ever know :frowning: I just wouldn’t trust the DNA results. Do a search on COTH feature, there have been some reporting back the results. Not something to count on.[/QUOTE]

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1505155_4624850354680_5169352593941007159_n.jpg?oh=dbbce11795d9f90e535b7637bab8b6d2&oe=57FE2502
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10371363_4418283990650_7361016482566832565_n.jpg?oh=2aad19a9a32fed52980e057de595486d&oe=57FE7F75

He looks like a bay to me, not buckskin.

You should be able to click those without needing any FB credentials.

He also looks like a paint/tb or even appendix to me. I’ve seen several that have good movement.

I wish I could see :frowning:

It has to be Photobucket. Work computer blocks any FB content. I broke my phone and it won’t be fixed until Friday…lol

I have the results on paper. They do specify between breeds as which are most dominant according to the DNA however they cannot distinguish between them very well, which is why he is some sort of European warmblood apparently. I’m just confused as to how he is a buckskin pinto. He may have TB in him just not the most dominant breed, according to Texas A&M

I will say … that DNA test chose the 3 Euro registries least likely to give you a Pinto… and even more dilute.

I’m sure if you read A&M’s disclosures it probably says something to the effect of identifying DNA most closely associated with known individuals within a breed and or registry. I wouldn’t get hung up on that technicality, it certainly doesn’t sound like the OP is.

ETA - agreed - I just assumed he was a bay, I didn’t even see the part about him being a dun. But even if he is, it’s not like anyone is suggesting he is genetically limited to only european bloodlines. There are plenty of other places dilute could come into it. He could very well be a 3rd generation cross from a horse like Art Deco.
Art Deco x TB =
offspring x Who Knows What =
OP’s horse

But good on her for having some fun with him and trying to learn new stuff, right?

I’d also wonder about the possibility that the sample was cross contaminated.

However, count me as another who is baffled how TAMU can claim to differentiate between two open registries that frequently share breeding stock. There are quite a few stallions and mares approved both Hanoverian and Holsteiner. You could quite literally have full siblings and register one HAN and the other HOL.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8703716]
I’d also wonder about the possibility that the sample was cross contaminated.

However, count me as another who is baffled how TAMU can claim to differentiate between two open registries that frequently share breeding stock. There are quite a few stallions and mares approved both Hanoverian and Holsteiner. You could quite literally have full siblings and register one HAN and the other HOL.[/QUOTE]

I’m wondering if OP is just taking us for a ride!

I think he’s both lovely and looks very much like what he was originally said to be. His head in particular says so to me, and I mean that as a compliment :wink: The way you describe his disposition can certainly come from that breeding. Heck I’d had my eye on a pretty grey QH as a trail horse, this horse has been all over the country doing the most dangerous work of a pick up horse, he runs some of the baddest bulls in the business at his home ranch. I was having a serious case of the covets, until I saw him at the farrier’s place, have a complete and total meltdown because his buddy horse left. Even QH’s can have their mentally delicate side, and I’ve known plenty of paint horses that do, for sure.

I’m sorry, but these DNA breed tests are really inaccurate. They are more “just for fun”. Had a friend submit her horse’s (who I knew as a foal, she was QH/Perch) and they came back as over 50% Selle Francais. Now she insists to everyone that her horse is actually SF. Enjoy your horse, don’t worry about trying to categorize him as a certain breed.

My horse is a Holsteiner/Trakehner cross (with the Holsteiner pedigree papers to prove it) and as beautifully marked a bay Tobiano as you could wish for. His dam, a Polish Trakehner, is also bay Tobiano. So yes, there is color in the Trakehner breed. Going back two generations, you wlll find TB on the Holsteiner side.

How could there be Holsteiner and Hanoverian DNA, you ask? Once upon a time, someone let a Holsteiner and a Hanoverian make whoopee. The resultant foal is in the OP horse’s pedigree. It’s pretty simple.

Since he’s a gelding, I’m not really sure why it matters? Looks like a nice horse and good match for you. That’s what’s important :slight_smile:

Just enjoy him!

Yes he looks bay to me.

Put no stock in those breed specific DNA tests.

He looks like an art deco grandson I knew in Virginia. He also looks like a lot of appendix paint things I’ve seen through the years.

I probably wouldn’t spend a lot of time speculating about breeding and bloodlines with this one, seems like a nice horse you enjoy, focus on that because that’s what really matters.

First of all, ALL horses in the new world descend from old world horses imported over the last 500 years.

The genetic ‘breed profiles’ available for saying this horse is a blank, are not worth the cost of the test.

DNA parentage testing is a completely different and very reliable test.

‘Quarterhorses’ are of varied background and type depending on their job and many have quite a bit of TB crosses.

Reiner vs. Hunter: one breed, Quarterhorse

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1f/fa/4b/1ffa4bfa0eeb2a44264e140c2d9bbc99.jpg

Paints are basically colored Quarterhorses that were not registerable due to too much white so they formed their own registry. One can cross Paints with QH or TB.

This horse is unregistered and parents unknown.
That makes him a grade. His color makes him pinto, and he could likely be hardshipped Pinto (the registry). He also might be eligible for a hardship in AWS.

He is himself.

He is definitely buckskin. And I think he looks like a Paint. I bred Paints and (intentionally) most did not look or move like stock horses. There’s a world of variation in that breed!

[QUOTE=Nootka;8703535]
Those 3 breeds 2 of which do not have Pinto in them.

Trakehner … maybe (very unlikely because even in that breed it is very rare)… where Pinto came from

I wouldn’t believe the DNA results. They are more for “fun” not definite. Wish I could see the pics but I can’t see FB and my phone is broken so can’t see them there.

Is he branded? look on left “thigh”

If he is “WB” it is most likely through Samber or Ico. That is about as close as you can get. I would call him a Pinto and you could register with that color registry.[/QUOTE]

Colored Traks go back a long ways http://www.deschenhof.de/engl.docu.htm

Samber can show up in a Han pedigree http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10521542

Samber can show up in a Hol pedigree: http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10646718

[QUOTE=Livie;8703744]
I’m sorry, but these DNA breed tests are really inaccurate. They are more “just for fun”. Had a friend submit her horse’s (who I knew as a foal, she was QH/Perch) and they came back as over 50% Selle Francais. Now she insists to everyone that her horse is actually SF. Enjoy your horse, don’t worry about trying to categorize him as a certain breed.[/QUOTE]

a Percheron is a French draft horse, so perhaps there is some common DNA with Selle Francais? I’m thinking through the french trotter.

[QUOTE=mareslave;8704319]
Colored Traks go back a long ways http://www.deschenhof.de/engl.docu.htm

Samber can show up in a Han pedigree http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10521542

Samber can show up in a Hol pedigree: http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10646718[/QUOTE]

Thank you - I didn’t have time to google but was perplexed by the comment (and I usually agree w/ Nootka) because I have seen local to me several HAN horses that are ‘spotted’ or piebald… Not pinto, but splash markings.

This horse is definitely buckskin, and he’s Tobiano. That’s very different from being “not pinto but splash markings”. The previous comments about “pinto isn’t in Han/Hol” were really in the context of this horse’s Tobiano genetics.

On the jumping photo, there are comments that appear to be from his breeder or at least the person who foaled him out (talking about the day that he was born, etc). Does that person not know who his sire and dam are?

I’m guessing the OP is in MD? He kind of reminds me of a lot of the Maxamillion babies I’ve seen, which still wouldn’t explain the DNA test. He was alive and breeding in 2007 and certainly could have thrown both the buckskin and tobiano color, as well as the sharp knees over fences. He was a really cool horse.

I also have to point out - Paint can be Tbred. The registry accepts Jockey Club horses as long as they meet the color requirements. So your horse could be mostly Tbred - he could have a dash of WB in there. I have seen some lovely Paints that moved like nice sport horses - and some of them are HOT. Not all Paints are “stock horse style”.

He is lovely - whatever he is, enjoy him! And you can get him registered as a Pinto or with AWS (no hardship required, as long as he meets the performance standards, either inspection or competition, he just can’t get into the premium book).