Unlimited access >

Please soothe my ego... :(

The other day, I brought a new friend to the barn and she watched a lesson. The first thing she said when I got off was that he had an ugly jump. :cry: It hurt, and it probably shouln’t have, but can you guys soothe my ego and tell me what a beautiful jumper my horse is(assuming, of course, you think he is)

Imgur

(any comments on bad form would be okay as well… just be nice)

And I know I am being selfish, but I love my boy:(

What are your friends qualifications for judging the quality of a free jump? Thought he was a Jumper anyway. Free jumping is not really the best way to assess form anyway, doesn’t always translate to under a rider. Don’t see anything tragic here though, he’s working and stretching to get over this spread off what looked like a good bit of pace, maybe took off a bit early.

Like to see him under a rider before reaching any conclusions.

Absolutely none, but her mom is a hunter judge and she sees a lot of nice hunters go. Technically, he’s a jumper, but I think everyone thinks their horse is gorgeous, and does not appreciate being told other wise by “horse experts”. She’s just a wannabe, but her mother is not and she agreed.

OP, I think your new friend should become an ex-friend.

Who goes around telling people their horse has an “ugly” jump? Unless you invited her opinion, why was she offering it anyway? Your trainer, a clinician, or a judge are the types of people who should be commenting on your horse and in a constructive manner. The term “ugly” is not only not helpful but rude. It doesn’t provide any constructive feedback that helps you or your horse improve.

You don’t need this kind of negativity.

I remember these pictures, but I don’t remember the entire story. Anyway, a horse’s free jump won’t necessarily mean much to how he jumps with a rider on board.

He looks nice a nice jumper to me so I wouldn’t let her comments get to you.

Why does it matter if your horse’s jump is ugly if he’s a jumper? As long as it’s safe, it doesn’t need to be pretty.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;8347071]

Who goes around telling people their horse has an “ugly” jump? Unless you invited her opinion, why was she offering it anyway? Your trainer, a clinician, or a judge are the types of people who should be commenting on your horse and in a constructive manner. The term “ugly” is not only not helpful but rude. It doesn’t provide any constructive feedback that helps you or your horse improve.

You don’t need this kind of negativity.[/QUOTE]

Yah, I think so to. Normally we only hang at shows because we end up getting thrown together because we are similar in age, but she is kind of a snob, and not very nice. Any thoughts for what I can say about her prized shoes to get back at her:D? Also, any thoughts on his form, good or bad?

Don’t feed the beast. Just smile and say thank you. No tit for tat retort or retaliation required.

Again, form is difficult to evaluate free jumping and he’s catching this good sized though airy spread off a good bit of pace and I think this picture was taken awhile back in his training. But don’t see Hunter here, not a thing wrong with him as a Jumper and the term “ugly” was out of place.

I like him. I am guessing your friend is a snob or an idiot but only you can ascertain that one. I think he is very cute and like how he uses his neck and front end.

[QUOTE=OveroHunter;8347072]
I remember these pictures, but I don’t remember the entire story. Anyway, a horse’s free jump won’t necessarily mean much to how he jumps with a rider on board.

He looks nice a nice jumper to me so I wouldn’t let her comments get to you.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure the OP started a lengthy thread asking if her horse had GP potential.

I’m pretty sure when people post the same photos asking the same questions, they are just wanting oohs and ahhs. From the link you posted, the horse has nice form. But if you were riding him and chipping fences causing him to hang his shoulders or knees, then someone may be justified in saying he has an “ugly jump”.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347081]
Yah, I think so to. Normally we only hang at shows because we end up getting thrown together because we are similar in age, but she is kind of a snob, and not very nice. Any thoughts for what I can say about her prized shoes to get back at her:D? Also, any thoughts on his form, good or bad?[/QUOTE]

Best thing to do is just avoid situations where you will run into her. If that is unavoidable, ignore her or change the subject.

[QUOTE=Equitational;8347138]
I’m pretty sure the OP started a lengthy thread asking if her horse had GP potential.

I’m pretty sure when people post the same photos asking the same questions, they are just wanting oohs and ahhs. From the link you posted, the horse has nice form. But if you were riding him and chipping fences causing him to hang his shoulders or knees, then someone may be justified in saying he has an “ugly jump”.[/QUOTE]

Thats true too. We have no idea what this “friend” was looking at. Dont you have any pictures of him since you bought him last spring? Friend and her mother could have been more diplomatic though, or at least constructive.

[QUOTE=findeight;8347194]
Thats true too. We have no idea what this “friend” was looking at. Dont you have any pictures of him since you bought him last spring? Friend and her mother could have been more diplomatic though, or at least constructive.[/QUOTE]

ummm… I could get a video from our last show if y’all would like. It would be a kind of cruddy video, though. Not the best photographer (aka brother) That pic was actually taken several months after I bought him.

OP, just remember that if you post a video and ask for a jumping critique on this board, you will get one. There are some very experienced riders/judges/trainers here and you may or may not like what they have to say.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;8347071]

You don’t need this kind of negativity.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Friends don’t tell friends that their horse is ugly or that he has an ugly jump. Put this person on the “Ex-friend” list. Or, as I do with a similar former friend, refer to her simply as “someone I used to know.”

I completely agree with everyone who has said that this person isn’t much of a friend.

That said, judging by the one picture you’ve given of a single moment in time, your horse has a flat, efficient, tidy jump. High and even with his knees, neat with his hind end. He doesn’t have much in the way of “bascule” that a hunter judge would favor, but usually that just wastes time in the air and is exactly what you don’t want for a jumper! There’s no guessing as to his level of scope from one still photo, but I don’t think I’d kick him out of my barn. :slight_smile:

It is always hurtful, no matter how old I get, to receive feedback that I don’t want to hear. While I would normally agree with everyone that says make this friend an ex-friend, I would also add that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Did you ask you input? If so, some people don’t sugar coat things, they instead say exactly what they’re thinking. If you didn’t ask for an opinion, I would agree that it may be time to add this friend to your ex-friend list.

I can honestly say I’ve been on both sides of the fence, with someone giving unwanted feedback without being asked, as well as someone giving feedback I asked for, but at the same time something I didn’t want to hear.

Everyone has different taste in horses. Some people are also more brutally honest than others. It is okay to have differing opinions with friends, but it’s also okay to choose to not be friends with someone who has a different opinion than you.

I don’t think your horse, based on that one picture has a spectacular jump, but he has a safe, decent jump for a jumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWA2_pfcJg&feature=youtu.be&list=PL6RFIlr99Z4VoqVjCAJoWhP9Dl1yKhAv5

Here is us at our last show. Obv, green horse, not really worried about speed and inside turns at this point, and I went off course, but what about him? Do you guys like how he goes?

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8347387]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWA2_pfcJg&feature=youtu.be&list=PL6RFIlr99Z4VoqVjCAJoWhP9Dl1yKhAv5

Here is us at our last show. Obv, green horse, not really worried about speed and inside turns at this point, and I went off course, but what about him? Do you guys like how he goes?[/QUOTE]

He looks very sweet and forgiving.

[QUOTE=akhunterrider;8347341]
Did you ask you input? If so, some people don’t sugar coat things, they instead say exactly what they’re thinking. If you didn’t ask for an opinion, I would agree that it may be time to add this friend to your ex-friend list.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. A friend, as I define “friend,” is going to be polite and considerate of my feelings, even if I asked her opinion. There are many tactful ways of offering an honest opinion on the quality (or lack of quaity) of a horse’s form over fences. None of those include the use of the word “ugly.”